Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion and Culture Question

I usually go for Hinduism.

My question is if I found it, build a Hindu Temple in my cities, say Christianity spreads and then say Islam spreads.

My question is there any benefit for having three temples or will it just recognize one?

Thanks in advance

Grandpa Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

You get the culture and happiness advantage that each temple provides.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And while you didn't ask, if you're using the free religion civic, you'll get +1 happiness for each religion in the city.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

you want to get all the religions in each of your cities.

you want to spread the religion you found to every players city.

Comment

Thanks so much Ming,rah and Norselord

My head is clearing up more each passing day and am able to try and retain much of this knowledge so I may become better!

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Originally posted by Norselord View Post
            you want to get all the religions in each of your cities.

you want to spread the religion you found to every players city.
            Only if you have the shrine. If not there are some possible negatives to your potential enemy sharing a religion.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              Only if you have the shrine. If not there are some possible negatives to your potential enemy sharing a religion.
              rah

When does the ability to build a shrine appear?

Is it immediate at beginning? (I never noticed) but seems a little later on when it is possible?

One other rah, if you will, what triggers a Mandir? (a building) I think available in at least one city?

Thanks in advancxe for helping old Gramps better understand!

I have actually had the most fun with CTP but sloowly, BTS has really burned in my heart to play, which I am enjoying thoroughly!

Gramps

Comment

You're confusing shrine with the cathedral class of building.

A shrine requires a great prophet to create in the city of religion origin which will provide that city with one gold for each city that has that religion in the whole world.

The cathedral class building is available once you've build x number of temples for that religion, the x changes with map size. This building will usually provide +2 happy if it's your state religion and +1 happy if you have the corresponding resource, (usually incense) and also does 50% culture boost.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                  You're confusing shrine with the cathedral class of building.

A shrine requires a great prophet to create in the city of religion origin which will provide that city with one gold for each city that has that religion in the whole world.

The cathedral class building is available once you've build x number of temples for that religion, the x changes with map size. This building will usually provide +2 happy if it's your state religion and +1 happy if you have the corresponding resource, (usually incense) and also does 50% culture boost.
                  Ahhhh..thanks rah

Just curious, the cathedral class, is it one per civ or once you buiuld your "X" temples you can build unlimited mandir..or what ever the name may be if it changes per religion...

Again, thanks so much for responses, have learned much is a short time

GT

Comment

It is NOT just one per civ. You get to build as many for every set of "x" you build. And you can do so for any religion, not just your state religion... as long as you meet the "x" requirement. Granted, if it is not your state religion, or if you are in free religion, you don't get the +2 happy bonus, but you still get the culture boost and the +1 happy for the corresponding resource.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                      It is NOT just one per civ. You get to build as many for every set of "x" you build. And you can do so for any religion, not just your state religion... as long as you meet the "x" requirement. Granted, if it is not your state religion, or if you are in free religion, you don't get the +2 happy bonus, but you still get the culture boost and the +1 happy for the corresponding resource.
                      Thanks Ming

I actually just started a new game and this has made all the difference

Ask and ye shall receive

Gramps

Comment

Here's an example, GT, of going for a cultural victory:

Ideally you want 9 cities, and you spread multiple religions to all 9. So, you build temples to each religion in all 9 cities. Since you want 3 cities to really max out culture, you build cathedrals to each religion in each of those 3. (3x3=9).

Just me: if I'm not going for a cultural victory, it's rare for me to build any cathedrals, even in my state religion. Maybe in a border city where a neighbor is cramping my borders, but otherwise it's an expensive building that doesn't give you much benefit. The +2 happy might be good in a city that's really high population and thus needs to scrape around for whatever happy bonuses you can find (like a GP farm).

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
                          Just me: if I'm not going for a cultural victory, it's rare for me to build any cathedrals, even in my state religion. Maybe in a border city where a neighbor is cramping my borders, but otherwise it's an expensive building that doesn't give you much benefit. The +2 happy might be good in a city that's really high population and thus needs to scrape around for whatever happy bonuses you can find (like a GP farm).
                          Ditto
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You guys are great!

I do most of this already, the border deal, plus a large military contingent in case they get zealous over me being there.

I will remember the extra cost associated with extra building

Many heartfelt thanks all!

GT

Comment

Don't listen to Rah, Wodan, or Ming. They will argue the opposite of everything anyone says.

in my opinion:

Religions are an all or nothing deal.

Either you found a religion, try to spread it like mad, get all the cool religious wonders and buildings. And suffer the negative diplo hits from the other religious zealots.

or

You research other stuff, wait and see which civ is powerful and adopt their religion later in the game.

or

Allow all religions to spread, spread every religion, build all the religious buildings and run free religion civic.

or

Do the exact opposite of anything Ming, Rah, and Wodan say. Let me know how that works out.

Comment

Working...
                              X