Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Civil War (McMonkey vs Techumseh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Abe, you might want to put something in that there zip file.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

techumseh quote #1: "Good point about Key West. I did consider a descent at one point, but Drew found my transport. The Confederates only start with 2, and can't build more."

Key West can be reached by either transport. Good luck to any Damnyankee in finding a Reb transport in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

I would NOT recommend trying to do it with the east coast one.

techumseh quote #2: "John, are your cryptic references to pistons and gears possibly referring to the Key West International Airport, with direct flights from New York and Boston?"

No, flying hadn't been invented at the time. But, as everybody knows, teleportation had just been discovered.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Drew, the zip file is empty. It does not contain a save file. I can't play my turn. Please repost it. Thank you.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I'll check the British recognition events, though it's unlikely to be triggered in this game.
          A smokescreen if ever I saw one! I will be re-doubling my patrols around St. Louis

I stumbled across the Rebel transport early on. When sending out my initial patrol I just looked in places where I would tuck away a hiding ship, and would you Adam and Eve it - there one was

The danger or re-spawning Generals is that players will adopt my tactics in the game at Civ Webring and fling them headlong into battle. If they win and survive then great. If they cause chaos but are lost then no worry, in a few turns they will be back!

The Union does indeed have a much larger army and a more capable General than myself may be able to steamroller the Rebels fairly easily. However the Union if compelled to attack deep into enemy territory and risks being mauled by counter attacks once the direction of their advance becomes clear. The Confederates are under no such pressure and can wear down the Union troops as they did at Corinth and in Tennessee. I think we should wait and see the final outcome before drawing any conclusions.

I had intended to stick to General Scott's (if I remember the name correctly) Anaconda Plan. However my own urge for action mimicked that of the US public of the time and I broke my own plan to launch several premature attacks. It would be interesting to see how the game would play if the US player stuck to the plan and built up an overwhelming force before attacking. It might not be as much fun, but I think it would be quite effective.
          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
          SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
          SL INFORMATION THREAD
          CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

The snow melts and buds are on the trees. Otherwise, little news.
            Attached Files

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

The resurrection of named leaders (only) would be an "onlyonce" event, so one would still have to be cautious with them, particularly because the chances of generic leaders being created would be less.

I think we've both fallen victim to a "Napoleonic complex" in the handling of our armies, resulting in massive casualties, but because of industrial production and internal rail communications, no decisive results. I don't see any evidence of a massive Union naval building program, which no doubt explains the very large Union armies. It remains to be seen if they will be able to crush the south by a direct approach on land.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Union March 1863

Corinth captured (again)

One Zouave unit, one Militia and two Conscript units destroyed for the loss of two US Conscript units.

Also one CSA Cavalry unit north of Corinth surrounded and destroyed.

In the Atlantic the US Navy's patrolling finally pays off. A CSN Frigate is located and sunk.
                Attached Files
                SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Martial Law imposed in the Confederate States. Conscripts are now arriving at the front in reasonable numbers.

One regiment of Union regulars was overrun northwest of Chattanooga.

BTW, was the Yankee Dept. of the Interior ever planning to announce that the City of St Paul, Minnesota had been captured by our heroic allies, the Sioux Nation?
                  Attached Files

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I hadn't even noticed
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Union April 1863

Kentucky and West Virginia throw in their lot with the Union. Federal troops enter Louisville, Bowling Green, Frankfort, Lexington, Parkersburg, Covington, Morgantown and Wheeling. There are some skirmishes with elements loyal to the Confederacy but overall the operation is swift and relatively bloodless. 16 Neutral Militia units surrender or are destroyed. 2 Federal Conscript units lost.

In the east Norfolk is captured after an amphibious landing. 2 Rebel Militia units destroyed as well as a CSA Cavalry unit to the south-west. Further south a careless US Navy Frigate captain blunders into the Rebel Coastall fort of Savannah and his ship is sunk.

Out west Federal troops retaliate against Sioux raiders. One Sioux unit is killed and the Sioux nation develops Sioux Uprising.

On the Mississippi Memphis is captured. Federal troops are surprised to find the city guarded by only one local Militia unit. Another column to the east takes Tupelo which was held by one Militia and one Conscript unit. A Zouave unit to the east of the city is also destroyed.

Another Rebel river fort to the north of Memphis is destroyed for the loss of two Federal River Gunboats.

Puzzled by the lack of serious resistance the Federal generals send out scouting parties to the south and west. Two sizeable Confederate forces are found occupying defensive features on the roads to Grenada and Meridian. It is believed these blocking units have been set up as a delay the Union advance and allow the Rebels to launch a counter-attack to retake Memphis and Corinth and catch valuable Federal leaders in a trap.

On the road to Grenada the Battle of Tallahatchie River begins. 2 CSA Volunteers and 1 Conscripts are killed and 2 US Conscripts are lost. Federal forces take up positions on the south bank of the river overlooking the Rebel army in the cotton fields on the other side of a creek. A larger battle is expected and Federal troops fortify their positions in expectation of the inevitable Rebel counter.
                      Attached Files
                      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                      SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Memphis was abandoned since the appearance of a new yankee army, moving south from Illinois, had turned the Confederate army's position in SW Tennessee, forcing a retreat. This was an unusual piece of sound strategy on the part of the yankee army.

Meanwhile, Confederate morale has been restored, and conscription is working well. In the west, 2 yankee cavalry units were surprised and captured. In the east 2 artillery and 4 regular infantry regiments were destroyed, as Lee prepares to retake Norkolk.

In the south, rebel newspapers are calling the yankee army milling around in the triangle Apalachicola-Albany-Columbus Ga. "the largest self-supporting prisoner of war camp in the Confederacy".
                        Attached Files

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Union May 1863

The shock loss of Des Moines and Milwaukee shocks (and shames) the Federal government into action in the west. Milwaukee is retaken. Hannibal and Rolla are secured with the loss of four Neutral Militia units and a probing attack is launched against Kansas City with one Neutral unit being destroyed.

On the Mississippi front the Federal Army pauses to allow reinforcements and heavy equipment to catch the front units up. Federal General Rosecrans tells the Northern press he does not want to lose initiative but is concerned that an overextended vanguard could easily fall prey to a Rebel counter-attack.

In the east Norfolk receives an influx of seaborne reinforcements including the veteran Irish Brigades who are reportedly itching for a fight and eagerly anticipate the Rebel counter-attack
                          Attached Files
                          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh View Post
                            This was an unusual piece of sound strategy on the part of the yankee army.
                            Humpf. I resemble that remark

EDIT: I mean resent
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Little to report, other than one yankee cavalry unit killed in Mississipi and one in Alabama, plus a militia and an artillery unit killed NW of Chattanooga.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by techumseh; May 5, 2010, 23:10.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                              X