Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apolyton CTP2 Edition: Revision 1056 (28-Feb-2010)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revision 1094

Hi There, Can you tell me where I might be able to get a copy of Revision 1094. I would like to try it but the Download Section is still pointing to Build 1056 from 28 February which I really enjoyed but would like to get a copy that doesn't crash every time you build a Wonder. Many Thanks.
    Last edited by Drof40; May 26, 2010, 21:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Drof40 View Post
      Hi There, Can you tell me where I might be able to get a copy of Revision 1094.
      Unless you compile it yourself, from no-where.

Originally posted by Drof40 View Post
      I would like to try it but the Download Section is still pointing to Build 1056 from 28 February which I really enjoyed but would like to get a copy that doesn't crash every time you build a Wonder. Many Thanks.
      If you disable wonder movies, it does not crash. If you cannot compile it yourself and want to see the wonder movies than you have to wait until I finished polishing the last AI thingies and updated the readme. This may happen this weekend or the next weekend. And remember I do this in my free time.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Just a few thoughts

First of all, thanks for keeping this going while I was away.
        Using version 1056.
        Only modification from your version is the number of cities that a government can have bumped up to 1000, I hate having to stop because my empire is going to revolt just because I liberated another city, no reason to go to war if there is nothing to gain, and no reason to play anymore.
        Medium difficulty, Regular world, 20 countries.
        Definitely a lot different then PT1, the only stable version I was able to finish a game with. This version has slavers and spies everywhere, nasty. Probably at war with more nations at any one time then I have ever been, forced me to build a navy a lot earlier than I usually did. Lost 3 cities to the computer empires after I overextended myself, first time in a long time - got them back though. AI is not quite a pushover anymore. Defences are excellent. Ireland in #2 spot (militarily and economically) had 19 cities, finally caught up to them in tech. With cheat mode I see that they still have 38 tanks, so they can easily counterattack at anytime if they so choose, and they have twice when I didn't expect it - bad habit from PT1 I guess. Just weird that they still have a archer, a knight, pikemen, and a few catapults. Arabia in #3 spot has many transports in port and about 40 tanks. These guys are two squares away from my shores, so its a little uncomfortable watching their armies move around their shorelines with my nuclear subs, if they manage to get across, all hell can break loose. Not sure if this is a possible invasion force or a homeland defence force, but to be on the safe side, any attempt by them to launch a ship across just gets it sunk so maybe it just gave up. Using Stealth bombers to whittle their forces down to a less uncomfortable number. By the way, I only have 12 tanks, I have a tendency to rely too much on my bombers and battleships to do most of the work. The weird thing that I have noticed though is that no one else is using any planes or bombers, it would probably slow down a lot of my advances into #2's territory, and force me to shore up my defences against a possible seaborne invasion from #3. I see a lot of cargo helicopters running up to cities and just sitting there with their infinite fuel supply - something I never understood and usually change but for forgot to (4 turns like a bomber). I see some aircraft carriers, but still not being used for what they are intended. Haven't seen many warships like battleships or cruisers, though one nation has a Moray striker already, first time I have every seen someone use those. But then maybe I don't see many is because I just keep sinking them before they start getting to an uncomfortable number.

I few minor bugs.
        Clicking on wonder movie causes CTD, I see others have seen that, easy to recover with Autosave.
        Spys, slavers, and probably other hidden units not seen in the correct squares when I catch them. I had one slaver show up 12 squares away on one of their cities, even though he is right next to me. Playing the game with pollution off, but I see one enemy city has 3 dead squares on it, don't think there was any nuclear exchanges yet. That was why I usually play with pollution off, the computer never used to understand it. Deleting units seems to take forever. Optimise Sliders button in Empire Manager does nothing.

Things to work on.
        Current game is in the 1970's, so maybe what I'm asking is already done, just haven't got the tech to do it yet. I saw Terraform Ocean, and I was thinking bridges, canals, adding land - YES!!!, but still haven't seen anything there yet, don't know if there is. I still haven't heard all the music on the CD. Stop subs and sonobuoys from seeing out into land/air areas if possible. Have AI use more aircraft, and use carriers for actually carrying/lauching planes, that would totally change my defences if it did that. Make stat graphs bigger, maybe even full screen. Impossible to conquer the world or even get close it on larger maps unless you set the number of cities for governments really high. Anyway to set the number of cities a government can have based on world size?

Very nice, keep up the good work. Finally gets the adrenalin flowing.

Edit:
        Okay, one I forgot. Clicking on Bombard, and all you hear is "thud", click it again, another "thud", press Control B, another "thud", press Control B again, we finally bombard. Please fix this, it's very annoying.

I realise you added the ranged bombard mainly for mods, it's just a little strange that you don't show the reason you added it by making use of it in the main game. Artillery or battleships would be perfect for this to show this off, especially when we have the ability to lob a projectile 24 miles or more inland from a modern day battleship. As for terraforming, adding canals, this has been done since ancient Egypt with the Suez Canal. Adding land is done today by the Dutch. And bridges, they are thinking about building one across the Bering Straights across Alaska/Siberia. I would expect that to use a lot of Public Works to do that, and take quite amount of time to do that. I'm sure it would be hard to get the AI to understand that to use that function, but then does it really understand Pollution/dead tiles yet?
        Last edited by Fugi the Great; June 1, 2010, 17:51. Reason: thinking too much and drinking too little.
        What do I think of Western civilization? I think it would be a very good idea.
        Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

I'm having a problem with the code project. I'm running Windows 7. When I install the files and run I get a black screen, i.e. cannot see the main menu. I can hear the music playing but cannot see anything. I have tried playing the game under various compatibility modes and have installed several times with no success . Anyone got any ideas?

Comment

Yeah, the AI definitely has a problem with pollution. Reduce pollution treaties don't do much as the AI builds mines and factories, oil refineries, etc everywhere and continues to do so even if you threaten them.

I completed the game with a science victory last night but my score won't show up on the high scores. It continues to be blank even if a reload my last save and do it again. A way to check high scores would be nice too. (A hall of fame or something)

Also, the Central Matter Decompiler doesn't put a Matter Decompiler in my cities though I have pollution off (because of above problem) so I can't tell if I got the reduced pollution or not.

I noticed the science screen only shows seven opponents and even if nations are conquered it shows a blank area for the nation but still doesn't show any others.

I'd really like to play a large map with many opponents with city limit and pollution on but in my last game, after building sea cities everywhere I was well past the 60 city limit so I imagine playing on a larger map would only make these issues worse. I know on larger maps you can have more worldwide pollution before a disaster occurs but dead tiles/unhappiness don't seem to effect the AI like it does the player.

Great job though. I can tell a lot of time and effort has been put into this.

Comment

Revision 1097 has been released. Continue discussing here. Feel free to repost any issues I was not able to fix or address so far.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
              X