Apple's iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's iPad

Not convinced about it. What is the market?

There's even an iWork version for it...the sample apps revolved around soccer moms (literally), having a scoring spreadsheet for their kids they can update on the sidelines.

It also introduced iBooks (iTunes for books). Runs all iPhone/iPod Touch apps in a hilariously zoomed-in full-screen fashion that looks awful.

The only pluses I've seen so far:
    - It's a phenomenal display, IPS panel, 9.7"
    - .5 thick, 1.5 lbs
    - The NYT app seems cool

It looks like a bad Photoshop of an enlarged iPod Touch.
    Last edited by Asher; January 27, 2010, 15:38.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Does it have one of these?

Comment

My coworkers and I were all in stitches over this and we arrived at the same conclusions.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Price is $499. Now I'm more interested.

Also has 3G connectivity. No contracts. $14.99 for 250MB/mo, $29.99 for unlimited per month...

Edit: Nevermind. $499 is for the version without 3g (which is a $150 option???), and 16GB only (ridiculous).

Yes, it's pointless.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Basically a little larger, heavier, and more expensive than the Kindle DX, which is too heavy for my tastes.

I'm skeptical about this. I mean, it can't hurt by being on the market. But I don't know if it will find a big audience.

Probably another Apple TV.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

No multi-tasking. Jesus Christ.

Up to a $840 device without multi-tasking? Hello?

Comment

It needs SSH/linuxy abilities and to run things like MS Office.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Honestly, this makes the HP Slate look good. At least it runs Windows 7.

Comment

Apple announces the iPad
                  By Chris Foresman | Last updated January 27, 2010 11:42 AM

Apple today unveiled its iPad, after years of rumors that the company was building a tablet-like device. Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the device today during a special media-only event, saying it is "way better than a laptop, way better than a phone. It's the best web experience you've ever had."

Jobs began the introduction by discussing what kind of device might fit between a smartphone and a laptop. "We've wondered for years as well—in order to create that category, they have to be far better at doing some key tasks... better than the laptop, better than the smartphone," Jobs said. "Now, some people thought that was a netbook—the problem is that netbooks aren't better than anything!"

Then Jobs brought out the iPad, which looks much like an oversized iPhone. It features an interface that essentially a hybrid between Mac OS X and iPhone OS. In addition to browsing the web, included applications also give users access to iTunes media, including HD video content, calendars, photos, contacts, and more. The built-in e-mail client also looks like a hybrid between Mail on the Mac and Mail on the iPhone. Text entry is done with a large, on-screen QWERTY keyboard, which seemed very responsive during Jobs' demo.

The iPad hardware itself is built using a custom Apple-designed chip dubbed the "A4," running at 1GHz. It also has a beautiful 9.7" IPS LCD display with full multi-touch input. It also packs in 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1 EDR, accelerometer, compass, speaker, microphone, 30-pin dock connector, and a 10 hour battery capable of a full month of standby time. All of that hardware in contained in a case that is just half an inch thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds.

The iPad will come in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB versions, starting at just $499. The 32GB version will sell for $599, and the 64GB model for $699. That's far less than the oft-rumored $1,000 price point. Models with integrated 3G networking will be available a month later for an additional $130. The 3G modem will be carrier-unlocked and use new "micro" SIM cards. In the US, AT&T will be the first official provider of data service for 3G-equipped models, with a $14.99 250MB plan and a $29.99 unlimited plan. Activation will take place directly from the device; all plans are prepay and can be cancelled at any time. Plans for international users will be announced later this summer.

Of course, the iPad wouldn't be of much use without apps that let you do the things you want to do. It will run standard iPhone apps just fine, without modification, either centered in the middle or enlarged to fit the full screen. However, developers can access an updated SDK, complete with an iPad simulator, to begin developing apps specifically for the device. EA and Gameloft were on hand to demo games, and the New York Times showed of a virtual newspaper app.

However, Apple also had some significant new apps of its own to show off. The first is iBooks, an e-reading application. The app, which looks suspiciously like the iPhone app Classics, lets readers flip through virtual books, complete with animated page flips. Books can be black and white or full color, and publishers can even include video and audio. Books will be available from an integrated iBook Store, which for now will be stocked with books and textbooks from from the top five publishers: Hachette, HarperCollins, MacMillan, Peguin, and Simon & Schuster.

Comment

Why on Earth no multitasking? Seems odd, considering that the iPhone is moving toward multitasking.

Running all iPhone apps is cool.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It's cool in theory, but it's not practical. The fonts are ****ing massive. They don't scale properly, they just zoom.

This made my day though. Silverlight 4 beta facebook app. Very snappy: http://team.silverlight.net/product-...-for-facebook/

Comment

One of my friends just tweeted: "This iPod/iPad thing sucks for anyone with a Boston accent."

Just killed me.

Comment

they should have called it the iProfitMargin
                          The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

iTampon is a trending topic on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X