Running Civ 2 on a netbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Civ 2 on a netbook

Has anyone done this, and if so can you tell me how you got it to work? My Acer Aspire One netbook has more processing power than the 486 I first ran civ on (back in 1996!), but it doesn't have a CD-ROM drive so I'm not sure how I'd actually install the game (can I just copy the CD's contents onto a memory stick or something?). Alternately, I imagine that I could just download Freeciv and run it.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

You should be able to just copy the directory over I would think.

There might be a few registry errors if anything, but I've never experienced any.

See the "damn vista" thread for some more tips

Comment

My copies of Civ2 MGE and ToT (as well as all of my scenarios, graphics and resources etc...) are kept on a USB memory stick. I use Civ2 Unlimited to run ToT and the version of MGE I have has the no-cd crack built in. This way I can run it on any PC and any updates/changes are universal and I don't end up with confusing multiple copies of everything. I just keep a backup copy of everything on my desktop in case I lose the USB! I just copied the Civ2 and ToT folders onto the stick and they ran without any problems.

Obviously if there are Vista issues that will have to be addressed separately.
      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
      SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
      SL INFORMATION THREAD
      CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Thanks for that. My netbook runs XP, so Vista isn't an issue.
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I have an Acer Aspyr too, but my big computers are all Mac. Mac dOS X does not support this game, and I haven't been able to play this game for four years. I wonder if anybody has suggestions for getting it into my Acer directly from the web.

Comment

Have you tried a PC emulator? (My Mac has a PC side, which runs Civ 2 just fine. )
            The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
            2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Comment

Working...
            X