Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be damned, twice!

Good morning everyone,

I Just got hit by 2 meteors in a single game, and I'm shocked. Never since I started playing the game did I get hit by one, and it 's been many years. Is it an alien perk, to have 4 or 5 bases destroyed at random, or could have anything to do with the large number of bases (150+)?

I'll continue the game, keep expanding, perhaps I can trigger another strike?

In any event, I think it's a cool thing, too bad I've never had one before. Maybe one of the cpus will get struck next time

since they are so rare, meteor strikes are poorly documented.
    If you could confirm the crater and kill radius - i'd love to add this info to the datalinks (see sig)
    Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
    Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!

Comment

I'll make another game, which I'll save every turn, perhaps I'll get lucky.

A good way to evoke a meteor strike seems to be to play a large map
      (70+ x 140+) with 80-90% land, and go for a lot of bases. Over the course of about 10 games (some on small (20x30) maps), I've had 2 games with 2 strikes, 1 with a single one. Blast radius is hard to determine, I'd say a strike takes out about the size of the remaining garland crater, including its outer limits, it eradicates all cities in it.

Comment

Have not been able to reproduce a meteor strike, guess I jinxed myself... Sorry

Comment

Jinxed twice too. After about 30 games I gave up hope for another meteor, made the previous post, then got hit twice in the very next game I played.

Here's the screenshots of the aftermath: 2 extra garland craters. (You can see the first on the mini-map, it's above the gaians.) The second screenshot leads me to believe the outer limit of destruction is the river around the crater, there probably was a city there. Also note there are no units/terraforms visible except for a former in the first picture, I believe it moved there after the comet struck. The first meteor didn't spawn a river, don't really know why.

Now I'm afraid to resume the game

Comment

hmm, so the meteor didn't wipe out the former on the edge of the crater shown, interesting.
            Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.

Comment

I think, and already wrote , the former moved there after the meteor struck.

Comment

sorry, i was overcome by the pix, at least now I know how big the crater is, and the radius of destruction (7X7 for both)

So if you really want to play it safe, build all cities 4sq+ away from capitol

I assume the resource bonus tiles were unaffected, and not generated by the meteor itself?

Comment

I can't remember. Is there a way to move back a turn? There is no way I'm gonna remember all bonuses for all bases ^^

Comment

the resources should be there from early on in the game, even a save from 10 turns ago should suffice.
                    There is a view command that lets you see the terrain without any improvements and/or bases and units.

Comment

If I get another one I'll check that

Comment

Yeah, resources don't move around, so just save at the beginning of each game and use the scenario editor to reveal where they were after a meteor hits.

Comment

Originally posted by nepeta View Post
                          I can't remember. Is there a way to move back a turn? There is no way I'm gonna remember all bonuses for all bases ^^
                          Maybe autosave might have info.

Comment

I had a really weird experience, a meteor on a sea map. All of my meteor strikes so far have been (iirc) while playing Usurper. I took the opportunity to check on the resource bonuses before/after meteors, they don't get destroyed as GooglyBoogly assumed.

Comment

Originally posted by GooglyBoogly View Post

...I assume the resource bonus tiles were unaffected, and not generated by the meteor itself?
                              But it is good to have confirmation anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X