Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rather than start a new thread, I'm just going to put it in this one:

Golf is not a sport.

The basis for this statement shall be a single simple criteria. If a participant at no time during the contest exceeds the velocity of Manny Ramirez on his way to first base, it cannot be a sport.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

To me, using Manny Ramirez as a guideline for anything just makes me think that baseball can't be considered a sport either then. With the exception of the pitcher and catcher, a golfer will exert more effort than any other position baseball player on any given day.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's a pretty tired old troll, CW.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'm sorry . But earlier in the week, after I had heard about the McNabb trade, I went to watch SportsCenter to see their coverage. They lead with at least 15 minutes of golf (I gave up at that point).

But I did notice that in other sports they do run sometimes or in the case of speed walking walk really fast. Golfers just walk around. Caddies carry something heavy though
          Last edited by ColdWizard; April 9, 2010, 12:32.

Comment

Tiger Woods did some leaps to his right in order to see around a tree after a fairway shot.
            The most activity that he's gotten in, what was it, 5 months?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Again, excluding the pitcher and catcher, I'll bet that a golfer burns more calories than a baseball player. So if golf is not a sport, then baseball isn't either.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Clicking the link will be left as an exercise for the reader.

Comment

I've never played a sport requiring more from the body/mind than golf.

ask Charles Barkley

Comment

They didn't say how they calculated it. If it was an average that included the pitcher and catcher, it could be way sckewed. I'll stand by any golfer expends more than a left fielder or a third baseman. (but as shown, I could be wrong) But I did exclude the pitcher and catcher in my original statement.

Walk a hilly golf course that is also long from green to tee and tell me how tired you are when you're done. I can honestly say that I never felt tired after a game a baseball unless I was pitching.

I think the mental aspect is much harder but that's open to discussion.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

yup

Comment

But then, it's been a while since I actually walked a golf course.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have walked 18 recently (Doc told me to walk more) but I haven't pitched a 7 or 9 inning game (I never went 9 ) in more than 30 years and I dont think I could now. I'd be throwing Obama balls to the plate after the 2nd inning and praying to God my rotator cuff holds up

Comment

OK, I was going to stand up for golfers, but you blew it. Taking a cart negates any exercise achieved by swinging a club and bending over the cup. Lazy sloths!
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

well, baseball is called a pastime for a reason - its the difference between lazy sunday afternoon games with plenty of beer and competitive baseball/golf. But watching John Daly amble up the fairway with a cig and a beer dont look much like a sport, until you see him swing a driver and that ball flies 300+ yards. Now thats impressive...

Comment

Boog Powell was the same way... he could barely run to first base, yet when he swatted the ball, it was impressive.
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X