Justify this list:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justify this list:

We keep coming back to videogames for the same reasons we always have. Or do we? Games in 2009 look considerably different now than they did in 2000, and not just because the graphics have improved. What was once a lonely pursuit has gotten social, whether by way of a party-friendly round of Rock Band or a late-night…

For those of you too lazy to click, noted pop-culture website A.V. Club has posted their top 15 games of the '00s:

15. SSX
    14. The Sims
    13. Ninja Gaiden
    12. Braid
    11. Advance Wars
    10. Left 4 Dead
    9. Final Fantasy XII
    8. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    7. Ico
    6. World of Warcraft
    5. Portal
    4. Rock Band
    3. Fallout 3
    2. Katamari Damacy
    1. BioShock

So, your challenge--justify this list.

You can't do it, can you?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

It's very random.

And how SSX made the list is mind****ing to me.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Mindblowing is censored? Or did you say mind****ing?

But, yeah... SSX. Wow.

Comment

Mind f-u-c-k ing

It's much better than getting a bloooooooooooow.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

But "mind****" typically has a different meaning than "mindblow". But, whatever.

How does one make a list of the best games of the 00s and not mention HL2, or Civ4, or Mass Effect, or Deus Ex, or BG&E, or Psychonauts...? I mean, okay, not all of them... but none of them? Really?

Comment

a few points i want to raise: advance wars is awesome in every respect. a good franchise as well as a great game. possibly the best game on their list. i find it curious that rock band gets the nod whilst guitar hero gets no mention when they were both pioneered from the same studio.

i'm also wondering about left 4 dead over halflife 2...

world of warcraft i'm okay with where it is. it certainly has been revolutionary in that it's largely destroyed every gaming group i've encountered that has been unfortunate enough to have two members playing...

i've never played bioshock. am i missing out? and where is civ 4 on this list?
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Honestly, I've never liked HL2 and tried to play it so many times but stopped after a couple hours. I consider it massively overrated and incredibly boring.

Left 4 Dead / Left 4 Dead 2 definitely would be in my top 15 list. Both games gave me the most fun I've had playing video games in years. I spent all of tonight playing Left 4 Dead 2 with my SO and 2 friends from back home, and it was insane. Just an incredible game, they do so many things right. Very original.

Comment

no comment on the advance wars, though?
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Never played it. I don't do mobile games.

Comment

?? 15. SSX
                    14. The Sims
                    13. Ninja Gaiden
                    12. Braid
                    11. Advance Wars
                    10. Left 4 Dead
                    ?? 9. Final Fantasy XII
                    7. Ico
                    6. World of Warcraft
                    5. Portal
                    4. Rock Band
                    3. Fallout 3
                    2. Katamari Damacy
                    ?? 1. BioShock

Was FFXII really that big? I thought it wasn't nearly as big as FFX, FFVII, or FFIII (US). Maybe I missed out on playing something amazing though.

SSX was good, I guess maybe it belongs. There were a lot of copy cats/etc.

I am guessing that Civ4 wasn't included because they were looking for 'new games'. Civ4 had been done before, but than so had FFXII (I think, maybe I should get it?).

I think that EVE should definitely be on the list.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

There are some really good games on the list. But yeah it's a bit random overall (particular number 14 is offensive to me ) with glaring omissions.

Comment

The problem is that they don't really define what they mean by "best". Most fun? Most culturally significant? Most innovative? Most immersive/artistically realized? Most staying power?

You could make a case for any of the above listed games fitting one of those categories; in a few rare cases, more than one (ie, Portal, or The Sims). But any number of games fit the bill better in nearly every instance; and, again, in some cases (HL2, Civ4), they fit the bill better in more than one category.

Comment

If you take a look at the comments you'll see a lot of people asking where either Civ4 or GalCiv2 is.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                            So, your challenge--justify this list.

You can't do it, can you?
                            That's an impossible task

15. SSX
                            Haven't played it, but I have a hard time figuring out what can make a snowboarding game amazing enough to be on such list... but then I don't like snowboarding

14. The Sims
                            Hate it or love it, it's the best selling game series of all time. If the list is based on success, then this sure beats everything else

9. Final Fantasy XII
                            Considering that I hate fantasy, this one would of course never be on my favorite list. But from the sound of it, Final Fantasy games really has a lot of followers, so sounds fair enough that it's on the list (the series itself... can't comment on that exact release)

IMHO they picked the worst of the GTA games released in the '00s. GTA3 or GTA:SA deserves that spot more than VC, at least those brought something new to the GTA universe

6. World of Warcraft
                            Same as FF. Can't stand the fantasy part, but it sure is a successful game with lots of followers, so yeah, belongs to the list

5. Portal
                            A game that brought something new to the gaming universe... an fps where it's not just about shooting your enemies with big guns, but about thinking your way to the exit

4. Rock Band
                            Never played it and probably never will... but isn't it just karaoke, using your guitar/drums instead of your singing?

3. Fallout 3
                            My favorite game that year, but it didn't really bring anything new to gaming

1. BioShock
                            IMHO the second worst game released that year. And from I can read around the web, it sounds like it's just a copy of a game released a long time ago, just with better graphics (and story wise it wasn't done as well as the original)

Then there's a lot of games on the list I've never heard about (or never cared to read more about), that I didn't comment. I can only justify a few of them

Originally posted by self biased View Post

i've never played bioshock. am i missing out?
                            IMHO not at all. That game managed to grab everything I hate about FPS games and put it into the same game (bad weapons, fantasy weapons, boring zombie enemies, extremely easy enemies, you couldn't die at all, enemies put into obvious spots*, small areas, one-way-street, etc... could go on forever)

*you just picked up electricity and look over there a bunch of zombies standing in water
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

BioShock was way, way better than you give it credit for.

Comment

Working...
                              X