Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby - 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, You Can't Beat A Northern Hemisphere Winter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby - 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, You Can't Beat A Northern Hemisphere Winter!

Let's continue our diatribe on English rugby here, chaps.
    Last edited by finbar; November 9, 2009, 04:53.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Oh we could get to 500 posts in no time at all if we do.

Still at least the pressure is off Deans for now? And that centre partnership looked test class from the go.

Care has to go doesn't he - he is sooo slooow with his distribution that we cannot change the bang it up game unless we have someone whipping ball out a bit sharper? Hodgson if need be but you know who I would prefer.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

The French team against South Africa has been announced:
      Traille (Biarritz) - Clerc (Stade Toulousain), David (Stade Toulousain), Mermoz (Perpignan), Heymans (Stade Toulousain) - (o) Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), (m) Dupuy (Stade Français) - Harinordoquy (Biarritz), Picamoles (Stade Toulousain), Dusautoir (Stade Toulousain, cap) - Millo-Chluski (Stade Toulousain), Nallet (Racing-Métro) - Mas (Perpignan), Servat (Stade Toulousain), Barcella (Biarritz)

Bench: Szarzewzski (Stade Français), Marconnet (Stade Français), Chabal (Racing-Métro), Bonnaire (Clermont), Parra (Clermont), Marty (Perpignan), Médard (Stade Toulousain), Domingo (Clermont).
      A bit strange to see Traille as full back. David has probably just one cap, but he's a strong young player and I think it's a good idea to play him. Won't be an easy match, though.
      Forwards is what could be expected. The surprising thing, as always, is the 10. Trinh-Duc is selected, which is expected of Lièvremont, but there's no fly half on the bench. I suppose they'd pîck Traille as replacement and let Medard in as full back if Trinh-Duc gets hurt.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Should not be too hard a game for France, after all Tigers have already beaten this Bok outfit.

(Can you tell I enjoyed that result?)
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

God knows who Sale can find to beat...waah!

Comment

It's cyclical remember - their time will come again.

Comment

Yep. Around the time of the next Ice Age.

I think Danny Care is currently a minor problem in the equation. Put Will Genia - as he played on the weekend - at 9 for this England team under this set up and it wouldn't help. There isn't an iota of backline strategy. As I said, Brian Smith has proved he's capable of putting strategies into place. It can only be that he's either being outvoted or ignored by the troglodytes in the management set up.

And, of course, there are the age-old differences between the English and Australian mentalities. Australia tosses youngsters in at the deep end. Quade Cooper and Berrick Barnes were both playing S14 at 18, James O'Connor was probably younger. O'Connor played his first Test at 18, Cooper and Barnes might have been 20 when they debuted for the Wallabies. Ben Youngs would be starting for a S14 team but he can't get a start for Leicester because of "concentration problems" while the team lumbers under the control of an invisible nonentity. I haven't seen much of Joe Simpson but I gather he has abundant talent. The common denominators are youth, talent and the willingness to bestow managed responsibillity.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Madonna Ragazzi!, as they say around here. Sort of the Italian equivalent of "Jesus Wept!". So they're determined to turn Monye into a full back despite most evidence to the contrary, and Joe Worsley is the next best available flanker in English rugby. Haskell, Hartley and Hodgson had to come in, though I've never really understood the Haskell fuss. At least he's more mobile than Jordan Crane. Beyond that, I have nothing else to say. Except I hope the Argies get it together and put an end to the farce that is England's current rugby management.

Comment

I cannot put it any better than "Jesus wept" in all honesty.

The ABs - off form as they are - could reach three figures. The Pumas might be too strong up front. And an inexperienced no-one (<250 mins of top flight rugby!) has been picked as propping cover when two of the Saxons boys - including Cole from Tigers - are fit again.

I actually need Sale to become strong again btw - we must maintain that bastion of the true faith in bandit country.

Comment

There is simply zero logic. A completely novice prop against a very strong scrummaging team, a makeshift full back who's dodgy under the high ball against a team who - even at full strength - hoist high balls ad infinitum. The Argies will probably be too strong up front, I just doubt they're good enough elsewhere to penetrate the England defence often enough.

Comment

We shall see.

Either way it will be a slaughter fest against andydog's mob, and the last thing I want is him grinning like a cheshire cat at my ongoing agony.

I really do think it is time England looked outside the country for new ideas from a head coach. The proverbial 'new broom'.

Comment

Andydog? Rub it in? Never!

Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                        A bit strange to see Traille as full back. .
                        I expect it means we'll be seeing the French playing in the Bok half courtesy of his massive boot.

Comment

France will be a strange team: Lots of erratic play, a nice try and several wasted opportunities, some easy penalties missed, and a try gifted to the opponent.
                          In front of them, the Boks were really poor. Their ball handling in the first half was abysmal. Their defense was solid, their mauls after their lineouts were good, but they lost balls in the lineouts, committed many errors, with 2 yellow cards. They also showed almost zero imagination, were unable to use the wind when it blew for them and to pierce the French defense.
                          The French scrum was great except in one case. The last penalty in particular .
                          Barcella (loosehead) was just awesome, both in scrum and open play.
                          David (second centre) apparently surprised the South Africans. It's only his second selection, but his power showed. I suppose the next opponents of France will not be surprised, but he's a great hope for us. More than Marty, who should really learn to pass the ball some day.
                          Clerc was also very good, particularly considering he faced Habana.
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Barcella was extraordinary, and that monstrous back row was a delight to watch. The Bok scrum has been dodgy for a long time - heck, even the Wallabies scrum has managed to outpoint them. But that's the way to beat the Boks - pile the pressure onto them, smother them, just as they like to do to opponents. Their lineout was under pressure for the first time in years, they were constantly on the back foot, in fact usually going backwards, and their limited strategy - kicking, but under pressure - only handed the ball back to the French. De Villiers leaves a big hole - Jacobs will never be in the same class - and they also missed Steyn's big boot at full back. Traille, after some hairy moments early, was very effective.

Fingers crossed the same French effort turns up in the 6 Nations and against England in particular. Only in order to hasten the departure of the current English hierarchy, I might add.

The Taffys were rubbish. Sloppy, and, I reckon, over confident. A milli-second of clear thinking from the Samoans and they would have won.

Comment

Just saw Scotland-Fiji.
                              Poor match. The Fijians are destroyed in every scrum and don't play together. They started finding each other in the second half but they were too tired to do much. The scots just had to play near the forwards to get all the ball and win the match.
                              I don't think if this can provide any information regarding Scotland-Australia next week. It only showed Fiji's young full back needs more matches in order to mature, and that they need to work their scrum.

Comment

Working...
                              X