Fun nations to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun nations to play?

Having just finished with Turkey, and subordinated most of North America, Indo-China and Central Europe to the Sunni faith, I'm rearing to kick ass with some other nation - but who?

Recommendations for unusual nations to play? Every time I go for something different, I seem to pick a no-hoper - Golden Horde, Scotland (unless a conquistador turns up and you steal some maps), Japan - you just can't DO anything with them
    yada

Try combining two of the variants on the EU board:

- The Improved Grand Campaign; and

- The Holland - Grand Campaign.

The Holland variant separates the Holland province from Spain, turning it into the duchy of Gelre/Gelderland, which was independent in 1492 (though re-absorbed by Charles V a couple of decades after the game begins).

You'll need to edit the files, though, to do this. But it's certainly different from Turkey. If the warfare aspect was what you enjoyed about Turkey, though, be warned, this variant will start a bit slow - and you should be avoiding war, initially. Move things along at the 1 minute=2 years speed until the Reformation, when things'll get more interesting.

Comment

Branadenburg can be a challenge.

Comment

Number of Provinces is the lil number
        These are all good minor nations
        Venice and Denmark are pretty easy though
        I can get the 3 letter codes for replacing majors if you want

Brandenburg(3)
        Hanseatic League(2)
        Teutonic Order(4)
        Papal States(3)
        Venice(8)
        Hessen(2)
        Saxony(2)
        Denmark(8)
        The Palatinat(2)
        Hannover(2)
        Narrava(1)
        Courland(2)
        Lorraine(2)
        Thurington(1)
        Wurtemburg(1)
        Baden(1)
        Ragusa(1)
        Parma(1)
        Naples(2)
        Helevetina(1)
        Tuscany(2)

To play a pagan nation you have to edit a lot, I say it's not really worth it...

Comment

Heres all the codes for IGC minor nations, minus the majors (including Sweden) and the pagans, and some of the nations that don't appear until they revolt, they are gone. Just replace france or whatever in the new scenario and you can play this nation

PRU;Prussia
          VEN;Venice
          ADE;Aden
          ALD;Algiers
          ARA;The Hedjaz
          AST;Astrakhan
          BAD;Baden
          BAY;Bavaria
          BOH;Bohemia
          BRA;Brandenburg
          BRI;Brittany
          CRI;Crimea
          CYR;Cyrenaica
          DAN;Denmark
          GEN;Genoa
          GEO;Georgia
          GRA;Granada
          HAN;Hannover
          HEL;Helvetia
          HES;Hessen
          HSA;Hanseatic League
          HUN;Hungary
          IRA;Iraq
          KAL;Union of Kalmar
          KUR;Courland
          KAZ;Kazan
          KLE;Kleves
          KNI;The Knights
          KOL;Cologne
          LAT;Teutonic Order
          LOR;Lorraine
          MAM;Mameluks
          MLO;Milan
          MOL;Moldovia
          MOR;Morocco
          NAP;Naples
          NAV;Navarra
          OMA;Oman
          PAP;Papal States
          PAR;Parma
          PER;Persia
          PFA;The Palatinat
          POL;Poland-Lithuania
          PSK;Pskov
          SAC;Saxony
          SAV;Savoy
          SCO;Scotland
          SHL;Holstein
          SIB;Sibir
          SIC;Sicily
          SPR;Ragusa
          STE;Golden Horde
          SUD;Nubia
          THU;Thuringen
          TOS;Tuscany
          TRI;Tripoli
          TUN;Tunisia
          WAL;Wallachia
          WUR;Wurtemberg
          [This message has been edited by Par4 (edited April 03, 2001).]

Comment

I played as Moldova for a little while, and annexed Hungary early(under 5 years) giving me a suitable base for expansion, but Poland just wouldn't leave me alone, and i made the mistake of attacking Turkey (I mean I won, but Poland attacked, and that was nasty )

I also tried Wallachia... not that much fun, though I did beat two provinces out of Turkey, but everyone hated me for breaking the vassalization. It would have been a viable game if Catholic countries in Europe didn't get mad at a Catholic country for breaking out from under the Ottoman yoke, and beating the Turks back severely.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Try the igc latest version,you dont have to type anything in and can
              annex all countrys along with more new countrys,and a host of tweaks
              and improvements,russia is my current favorite in v1.8.
              Hannibal

Comment

Annex all countries, where was the IGC when I was beating the snot out of Poland, Austria, and Russia... I could have have had possibly double the bad boy value!
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

It was there, you just don't look
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I've played a game as Genoa now and it's been really really fun. I'll get the AAR out soon I hope. But, give it a go!

Venice was REALLY fun! They have great colonels if you know how to use them!
                    Lo there do I see my father
                    Lo there do I see my mother
                    and my sisters and my brothers
                    Lo there do I see the line of my people
                    back to the begining
                    Lo they do call to me
                    They bid me take my place among them
                    in the Halls of Valhalla
                    where the brave may live forever

Comment

Woohoo - Brandenburg kicks ass!

I was best friends with the Hanseatic League for 80 years, then suddenly declared war and annexed them (and got Silesia, Erz and Jylland as well in the same war).
                      I'm as popular as Satan, but hey, I'm the biggest bad-assed German power around, and I've gone from insignificant nobody to middle-ranking power in 10 years...

Now - can originally landlocked powers ever get explorers? I've got 6 colonists kicking their heels...

yada

Comment

I've found it's actually pretty easy to get a whole bunch of maps without any exploring. What you need to do is trade your european map with one of the north african sultinates to get the middle eastern map, the trade that to one of the exploring powers. With that, you can become middleman between the different great nations, getting explored provinces from one then trading them with another, then tradeing those to yet another. Failing that, build twenty ship and go crush small enemy fleets to get maps.

Comment

How do you switch to a minor nation? What exactly do I go and change?

Comment

If you're up for a challenge, Prussia. I've managed to still keep my BB value relatively low, while becoming THE dominant power in the East, going from 1 province to ~30 with 4 COTs by the 1520's.

Other fun countries, I imagine, would be Navarra, Helvetia, and Holand. You simply need a major power near you, so your BB value won't go up too much in your expansion.

As for maps, you just have to sack some Western major power's capitol - with Scotland, you have England right next to you .
                            [This message has been edited by Ramo (edited April 14, 2001).]
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

The Portuguese capitol is the one to sack, their maps are the best. Just have to have a navy.....

Comment

Working...
                              X