Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billy Corgan: Subversive Genius or Raving Loony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Corgan: Subversive Genius or Raving Loony?

It's been done before -- Radiohead, Coldplay, and others. But this is a little different.

Billy Corgan has announced plans for the release of the next Smasing Pumpkins album -- a collection of 44 songs, issued one at a time starting around Halloween, under the following conditions:

There will be no strings attached. Free will mean free, which means you won't have to sign up for anything, give an email address, or jump through a hoop. You will be able to go and take the song or songs as you wish, as many times as you wish.
    Basically, the financial plan is to sell a series of eleven 4-song collector EPs along the way, followed by the whole-shebang boxed set at the end. But the tunes themselves will be free.

I'm not a huge Pumpkins (Corgan) fan, but I think this is a pretty cool -- disruptive, different, a bit subversive. It's also pretentious as hell and could only be done by someone who already has all the money he needs. But at least he's flipping the bird to the RIAA.

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

is smashing pumpkins after Halloween some kind of cultural practice?

Comment

How soon till selfbiased comes in and talks about the Trent?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Billy Corgan: Pretentious Douchebag
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Subversive loony
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

He actually yells at his paying fans who cheer for him to play songs like "Tonight, Tonight" at concerts. He thinks they should move the **** on, or something.

He's such a douche.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Unfortunately the bastard did write "Today", so I can't despise everything about him.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                is smashing pumpkins after Halloween some kind of cultural practice?

I can't help but think that you might have some experience in that area, Berz. In the distant past, of course.
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Mods: Please change thread title to:
                  Billy Corgan: Pretentious Douchebag or Subversive Loony?

Comment

Pretentious douchebag.

I still like his music.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Pretentious douchebag +what-ever-the-****-it-is

And I'd like to echo self biased's future post, by saying Trent Reznor did it better.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Isn't he the guy that blamed his fans for failing to appreciate an album that didn't sell as well as others, or was that somebody else?
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

That was him.

Comment

Yep, pretentious d-bag then. Why no poll?
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                              Billy Corgan: Pretentious Douchebag
                              drake got it in one.
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Working...
                              X