X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with movies in CTP2

Hi,
    new here
    I recently reinstalled the game after some months, got the vanilla version incl. the official patch.
    Now the intro video doesn't show at all (it switches back to show the desktop in a lower resolution, but I do hear the music).
    Sometimes the game crashes before I get to the main menu.

The wonder movies don't show either, it's just a black field.

I remember to have had similar problems long ago (maybe not same ones though), but forgot how to fix this..
    any help here?

I had no problems playing on Vista. What I can't remember is if I played any wonder movies or not though.

It sounds like you might be missing the Indeo video codec. Can you play the movies in windows media player? The movies are in the "...\ctp2_data\default\videos" folder if you installed them, or on the CD in "\Setup\data\Max\ctp2_data\default\videos".
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Thanks, this helped..! Installed the codec and it's running the videos now.

Still I got another problem...
      after loading a savegame and pressing the O or enter key (and maybe others), I get back to desktop and get the message:

Slic Error

In object CheckForUnit, function _GetUnitFromArmy: Value out of bonds.

Comment

Originally posted by Polaristan View Post
        Thanks, this helped..! Installed the codec and it's running the videos now.

Still I got another problem...
        after loading a savegame and pressing the O or enter key (and maybe others), I get back to desktop and get the message:

Slic Error

In object CheckForUnit, function _GetUnitFromArmy: Value out of bonds.

Go to Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\userprofile.txt and set DebugSlic to No.

I'm having a different problem with videos. Wonder videos, to be precise: the whole screen goes black while the tiny video plays, as opposed to playing within the wonder's window while the rest of the interface is visible.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowBlade View Post
          Any ideas?
          Not a real one, except something generic and unconcrete guesses like updating your video/graphics card drivers, or running the game in compatibility mode.

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

I just bought the game and when I try to run it on Vista I only get a black screen with sound playing. I looked in the video folder and the movies play fine in Media player without downloading anything. Can anyone help me?

In case it matters, I got the game from GoG and have not added any patches or anything.

edit: The loading bar and hand icon show up at the beginning, but then I never get anything but a black screen thereafter, even once the video sound stops.
            Last edited by Dev0ramani; March 12, 2012, 07:28.

Comment

I have Windows 7 64bit and it works fine.
              You can try reinstalling or running it as an administrator.
              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin View Post
                I have Windows 7 64bit and it works fine.
                You can try reinstalling or running it as an administrator.
                Thanks, I tried your suggestions, but the problem persisted. Any other ideas? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dev0ramani View Post
                  Thanks, I tried your suggestions, but the problem persisted. Any other ideas? :-)
                  Please see thread about not working on Win 7.
                  GOG suggests rename video file, which hides the videos.
                  You don't get the videos, but the gave runs.

Comment

I cant believe it people still play this? I used to love this game back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by NERD View Post
                      Please see thread about not working on Win 7.
                      GOG suggests rename video file, which hides the videos.
                      You don't get the videos, but the gave runs.
                      That's what I've been doing, but I'd really like to find a solution that allows the videos; it isn't the same to just watch them in media player afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by tomrider
                        I just bought the game, when I try to run it on Vista, I only get a black screen to play a sound. I watched the video folder, without having to download any media player to play movies fine.
                        That's the exact same problem I have. If you rename the Videos folder to, for example "~Videos" or something, then you can play the game fine, just without the videos. I'm still having no luck finding a better solution.

Comment

Working...
                        X