Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBI arrests a Jordanian citizen in an alleged attempt to bomb a skyscraper in downtown Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI arrests a Jordanian citizen in an alleged attempt to bomb a skyscraper in downtown Dallas

This is breaking news.

06:04 PM CDT on Thursday, September 24, 2009

WFAA.com Reports

DALLAS - Police arrested a man after he allegedly placed an inactive car bomb near Fountain Place at 1445 Ross Avenue in downtown Dallas.

Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, a 19-year-old Jordanian citizen who has been living and working in Italy, Texas illegally, was charged with "attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction," authorities said.

Authorities said Smadi had been under FBI surveillance for some time after expressing "his desire to commit violent jihad" numerous times.

"The highest priority of the FBI and the Department of Justice remains the prevention of another terrorist attack within the United States," said U.S. Attorney Jacks in a news release. "In that effort, it is the job of the FBI to locate and identify individuals intent upon carrying out any type of attack upon this country and its citizens/residents. Whether as part of a group or acting alone, persons contemplating such acts need to know that all components of the government are working together to ferret out their activities and to insure that such individuals face the full measure of the law. The identification and apprehension of this defendant, who was acting alone, is a sobering reminder that there are people among us who want to do us grave harm."

With 60 floors, Fountain Place is the fifth tallest building in Dallas and the 15th tallest building in Texas. The building was designed by I.M. Pei and Partners and completed in 1986.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

USA =
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

has been living and working in Italy, Texas illegally
      Illegals are rarely a good thing.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Surely blowing up a skyscraper in Texas would have been an improvement?
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I just can't stand the sloppy reporting skills it takes to call it an "inactive" bomb which makes the uninformed think of something the perp might easily activate on a whim. If it was a fake bomb the feds gave him, just say so.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            Illegals are rarely a good thing.

Who loves you?
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post

Who loves you?

Don't forget the corn-fed cracker indicted just today for being the ringleader of a conspiracy with Muslim terrorists to murder Marines at Quantico:

Legals
              Unbelievable!

Comment

At least they could be tracked.

Comment

The latest.

10:23 PM CDT on Thursday, September 24, 2009

WFAA.com Reports

DALLAS - Police arrested a man Thursday after he allegedly placed an inactive car bomb near Fountain Place at 1445 Ross Avenue in downtown Dallas.

Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, a 19-year-old Jordanian citizen who has been living and working in Italy, Texas illegally, was charged with "attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction," authorities said.

Smadi allegedly drove a truck down into the parking garage below Fountain Plaza Thursday believing it was packed with ammonium nitrate fertilizer, which was the same material used to blow up the federal building in Oklahoma City.

He left the site in a vehicle driven by an undercover FBI agent. They then drove several blocks away, which was where Smadi used a cell phone that he thought would remotely activate the bomb, authorities said. However, that call went directly to the FBI.

Authorities said Smadi had been under FBI surveillance for some time after expressing "his desire to commit violent Jihad" numerous times while talking with a group of extremists online. Authorities said he stood out because he wanted to serve Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda.

After learning of Smadi, undercover FBI agents were introduced to him as "sleeper cells," read a statement released by James T. Jacks, the U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Texas. The three agents swapped messages with Smadi.

"By God who created me, there will not be a retreat at all, even if they take me to Guantanamo for the rest of my life," a report alleged Smadi wrote under the name "19 Smadi" in March. "I will never forget Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan, or any land where the call of 'There is no God but God, Muhammad is God's Messenger is raised."

By May 12, agents said Smadi wanted to take action, writing "I want to destroy targets, everything that helps America on its war on Arabs will be targeted."

During several months with the 19-year-old, authorities said they learned he had no connection to other terrorist organizations but was intent on a "self Jihad" despite efforts of agents to "reevaluate his interpretation of Jihad."
                  Description Goes Here

In June, Smadi allegedly listed a group of potential targets in the Dallas area. He considered a Dallas-area airport, although the warrant didn't say whether he meant Love Field airport or Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. Regardless, Smadi found security too tight and settled on a bank, the report stated.

But, agents said in July he began to set his focus on the Wells Fargo Bank located inside Fountain Place.

"SMADI stated the credit card is what drives America and he desired to attack one of the main locations," the report read.

"God willing, the strike will be certain and strong," Smadi allegedly wrote on July 16.

Five days later, an undercover agent took Smadi to Fountain Place to look over the area. Believing the agents were terrorists who would give him the truck bomb, Smadi met them to plan the attack that he wanted on September 11th. But, the reports said Smadi decided to postpone the bombing until after September 24.

Smadi planned on using a vehicle improvised explosive device (VBIED) to bomb Fountain Place at the end of Ramadan. Authorities said agents worked to ensure "the VBIED contained only an inert/inactive explosive device, which contained no explosive materials." The FBI said the public was never in danger.

"I will plant it in the foundations exactly under the building," Smadi allegedly wrote on August 26. "When it explodes, it will shake the foundations so that the building, if it is heavy in weight, tons, all that will come down."

Last Sunday, Smadi wrote he was ready, agents said.

"I'm glad they caught him and I'm glad that I'm still alive," said Bonnie Braganzn, an employee who works inside Fountain Place.

With 60 floors, Fountain Place is the fifth tallest building in Dallas and the 15th tallest building in Texas. The building was designed by I.M. Pei and Partners and completed in 1986.

Comment

Mother****er... that thing is fugly !
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

While I don't necessarily want it to be via bomb, that building should be leveled
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I declare jihad on all of the ugly architecture here in the US.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                          I declare jihad on all of the ugly architecture here in the US.
                          They are watching you.

Comment

So if he planned to destroy the building via a passenger plane, would he be known as an Air Jordanian? Hiyoooo

Also, lol at the guy actually believing some random dude on an internet message board would give him a truck laden with enough explosives to destroy a sky scrapper.

Comment

a weapon of mass destruction

"In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Working...
                              X