Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some perverse accident or foul cheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some perverse accident or foul cheating?

Hello All,

Some friends and I have been playing a four player game of CIV 4 Beyond the Sword (latest version) via direct IP connection.

We entered the lobby as usual and chatted about setting ect, everything was normal. However, once we entered intot he game we noticed that Cyrus (an AI faction) was visible at once on the player list at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. We all asked the question "That's odd how come he's on the list.
    Player X, as he shall be called for the sake of anti-defamation, siad that he had met Cyrus (AI) at the start, or "that it could be a bug." We, being neophytes at multiplayer, believed that everyhting was fine and continued playing.

I have played a team game before, so have noted that the team mates are always next to each other on the list - disturbing the usual decending order by score.
    Being trusting sorts we thought, again a bug.

After about 21 hours play, i went to war with Player X as he was the most powerful. Cyrus (AI) also declared war at once.
    This is a team right?

Player X is not the host, is there something that can be exploited to team-up with an AI faction before the game starts, some sneaky trick?

Player X also claims that he had a war with Cyrus (AI), and that he hasn't been teamed with him all game. but i am now deeply suspicious of this as he refuses to show me his combat logs or publish his unit losses sheet.

We have had some drops and netwrok issues. Also whenever i log in it asks me if Player X is a "trusted player" as his files don't match up with ours.

This guy has cheated before in Alpha and other games. Is it possible he has cheated in our game of Civ 4?

Any thoughts or links to more information would be most welcome. Thanks.

Uni.

Don't play with people who have modified files - that is why the warning is there. I'd assume the cheating is as you say; AI doesn't show up on your score list until YOU meet him, after all, no matter of whether your opp met him or not.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

He's a rat bastard, I guarantee it.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        Don't play with people who have modified files - that is why the warning is there. I'd assume the cheating is as you say; AI doesn't show up on your score list until YOU meet him, after all, no matter of whether your opp met him or not.
        Hmmm when we first started playing we used to get that message on you all the time when you were testing.

But yes, we clicked that we trusted you.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have come across this before in CtP with doctored files. It can be innocent, bloody rare, when someone has been playing a heavily modded game and just forgotten to restore the original files. That can happen but if you are playing with someone who is a known cheat in other games then why are you even bothering to ask the question?
          “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
          - Anon

Comment

but if you are playing with someone who is a known cheat in other games then why are you even bothering to ask the question?
            Ain't that the truth... It's all about reputation when it comes to playing MP. I only play with people I trust... especially now with the obvious Oracle/Liberalism tech cheat.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
              You or a member of your team.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                .. especially now with the obvious Oracle/Liberalism tech cheat.
                Hi Ming. What's this "cheat" all about???
                Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Yeah, I'd be interested to know as well.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Yeah, I'd be interested to know as well.

You wouldn't. It's just a loophole in the game mechanics and a very shabby way of seeking to win. You couldn't even really use it in MP anyway as you might add one additional tech without any questions but someone hyper-teching against real people will be noticed.

Easy trick against the AI but why? No great fun if you need to pull such tricks and no pride in victory.
                    “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                    - Anon

Comment

It sounds to me for all the world like Player X is in control of the "AI" -- playing two civs?
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                      X