No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 09/10 (II): We're very perverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgetting about his past for a minute, what do you think his chances are to make the team? 41 year old who hasn't played in the NHL in 6 years, it's a different game I would think....can he do it?
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
      Forgetting about his past for a minute, what do you think his chances are to make the team? 41 year old who hasn't played in the NHL in 6 years, it's a different game I would think....can he do it?
      Well he was a smaller player that battled harder in a very different NHL-- He should have it a little easier with the current rules that prevent him being mugged so often

But 41 year old legs?? Word from camp is that he still has "great hands" and puck sense but the fitness level needs to improve. They are actually talking seriously as if he could be a guy that helps the team. They are talkling a lot about his experience and how he could be a good force in the room etc etc
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Assuming his hands and puck sense are still good, I could see him playing on the 4th line adding a bit of a scoring edge with some grinding kids.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by mrboo123 View Post
          Everyone is there, thanks!

And Now I realize I drafted too many defenders. I though we were have 4 defenders, not just 2. So any 4 of my defenders can be traded. Value depends on the player being traded.

I thought it unusual when your 12th round pick was also a defender after you already had Phaneuf, Niedermeyer and Doughty. I can see the logic in having 4 at a forward position but its tougher to see for a d-man.

Personally I am not in the market for a d-man as I intend to go with a 2 d set and have 3 folks at the other positions . Now if Ovechkin were available I would be willing to talk about anyone in my lineup
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Assuming his hands and puck sense are still good, I could see him playing on the 4th line adding a bit of a scoring edge with some grinding kids.
            Apparently he will likely get some PP time tonight as well. They are talking that he might have some value on the PP .

It will be interesting to see anyway -- I am off to the Dome tonight in any event-- It looks like more of the Flames big club plays tonight-- Bouwmeester will debut while Iggy, Jokkinen and Backlund will be a line. Fleury is on a line with Daymond Langkow and perhaps Nigel Dawes??

No word on the NYI lineup but apparently they don't have huge numbers travelling so there is an even chance Tavares may play tonight again.

Comment

Calgary's going to ice the shortest line in the league tonight.

Nigel Dawes (5'9) - Daymond Langkow (5'10) - Theo Fleury (5'6)
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Another link on Fleury:

Excerpt:
                Fleury was essentially chosen by the Flames, in the eighth round of the 1987, to sell tickets for their minor-league affiliate in Salt Lake City.
                No one said it publicly at the time, but it was the consensus, in private conversations, as soon as anyone asked what the heck they were doing selecting a five-foot-six WHL scoring star, in a league that put a premium on big and tough.
                Ian McKenzie, the team’s co-ordinator of scouting, pushed long and hard on Fleury’s behalf, until general manager Cliff Fletcher finally said yes. McKenzie was responsible for many of the Flames’ late-round gems in the 1980s – Brett Hull and Gary Suter for two – and so, what he wanted, he usually got … in time.

Comment

Phaneuf just...Phaneufed...Okposo. Huge open ice hit. Glad I didn't draft him.

They're taking him out on a stretcher.

Some Islander..don't know who...came over and tried to start something with Phaneuf. Phaneuf flattened him with one punch.

Game is being streamed here, even if you're out of market (like me): http://www.atdhe.net/9331/watch-new-...calgary-flames

Nigel Dawes is very impressive tonight, 2 points so far. He's always impressed me and I was stunned Sutter was able to pick him up on waivers for absolutely nothing.
                  Last edited by Asher; September 17, 2009, 22:16.

Comment

Jokinen is looking on too. Just an AMAZING shot now. Top shelf!

Dawes has a point in all 3 goals. Wow.

Comment

My Yahoo team name "Ice Hawks" is after the Kootenay Ice where Nigel Dawes played Jr Hockey, I got to see him play a few times and was very impressed. I hope he does well in Calgary

[action=Sparrowhawk][/action]
                      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Theo Fleury scored the shootout winner. Amazing response from the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                          Theo Fleury scored the shootout winner. Amazing response from the fans.

I was at the Dome and all night people were chanting his name and applauding if he even touched th puck-- For him to get the shootout winner was amazing

He came out and saluted the fans (probably goodbye)

Unfortunately, other than those storybook heroics Fleury spent most of the night clearly proving he isn't at an NHL calibre. It would be shocking if he plays real NHL hockey without a decent stint in the AHL first. If the Flames are serious about evaluating players and preparing their NHL team for the upcoming season, Fleury doesn't see another pre-season game. He has had a triumphant return. Anything more when he clearly isn't ready yet would be wrong

Other flames commets

Kipper truly sucked
                          Phaneuf looked very good-- The crushing hit was more like the Phaneuf of two years ago and he made better decisions with the puck

Regehr was more involved offensively than I have ever seen

Iggy floated for a while but then turned it up a notch in the late game and had some dominant shifts

Boumeester had a couple of gaffes but is generally impressive-- That man can really skate.

Jaffray may or may not make the team but he is impossible to ignore. He seems to fight or hit anyone in sight. Too bad he doesn't appear to be a good fighter.

Backlund lookd just fine

Moss was very good

Conroy and Langkow looked like guys that didn't want to be bothered giving an effort in a preseason game-- Langkow loked slower than I remember

Flames d seems pretty set -- lines could look something like

Backlund-Jokkinen-Iggy
                          Bourque-Langkow Moss
                          Glencross-Boyd- Dawes
                          Nystrom-Conroy-Prust

with McGratton---- Lundemark, Jaffry and a few others can compete for the last taxi squad spot

Of the above 4 lines the only guy I am not certain of is Backlund-- All the rest should be in the lineup barring injury
                          Last edited by Flubber; September 18, 2009, 01:26.

Comment

Those pretty much match my impressions as well.

Comment

The Phaneuf hit on Okposo. Okposo has a mild concussion but is otherwise okay now.

Biron and Kipper also both left their creases to hug it out.

Comment

How did Jokkinen look?

Oh wait, I saw Asher's post up above
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X