SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

It has very good looks McMonkey...
      Saludos,
      Petit

Comment

Thanks. Development is moving along quite nicely. I went through a stage of being completely disillusioned with single player scenarios, but after a time concentrating on quick and easy to build multiplayer games I am feeling really enthusiastic about this one. It all just feels right and I'm going to try and ride that wave of optimism.

A couple of quick questions:

1) Are the Knight & Engineer slots are still a problem in ToT?

2) What does the @CIVILIZE2 in the rules file do? (any links to guides?)

EDIT: Found a guide to @CIVILIZE2. I think I will leave well alone for now!
        Last edited by McMonkey; September 16, 2009, 04:51.
        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
        SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

4rth row, element number 6: what's that unit?
          "The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win" - Zhuge Liang "Use the ordinary forces to engage battle, the extraordinary to win" - Sun Tzu

Comment

A Celtic Warrior from Britain.
            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Any estimated ETA?

Comment

Originally posted by McMonkey View Post
                A Celtic Warrior from Britain.
                Which tribe ( Belgian, Welsh, etc etc? ) is it?

BTW, the 5th row, unit number 7?
                "The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win" - Zhuge Liang "Use the ordinary forces to engage battle, the extraordinary to win" - Sun Tzu

Comment

@Turno

I have no idea which tribe, just a generic Briton. I think it was based on an illustration from an Osprey book.

The other unit is being used as an Italian Warrior (Campanian / Bruttian etc...). In Gareth's REPUBLICAN ROMAN ENEMIES collection he is in the Latins/Etruscans section and is labeled 4th century. I think he will serve well as an Italian Hoplite unless anyone has a better unit.

@Jeleen

An ETA is always tricky and I don't want to jinx things. I will just say that the basis of the scenario was already in place and all I am doing is refining it so hopefully a playtest version could be ready within the next month or so.
                  SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                  SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Here. Two italic ( osco-umbrans ? ) hoplites, one (latin? Campanian? ) swordman and one ( Samnite ) skirmisher, from RTR 6.0.
                    Attached Files

Comment

@Jeleen

An ETA is always tricky and I don't want to jinx things. I will just say that the basis of the scenario was already in place and all I am doing is refining it so hopefully a playtest version could be ready within the next month or so.
                      @McMinkey

Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Turno71 View Post
                        Here. Two italic ( osco-umbrans ? ) hoplites, one (latin? Campanian? ) swordman and one ( Samnite ) skirmisher, from RTR 6.0.
                        Ah yes, Rome Total Realism. I love this game/mod. The original Tome Total War was poor (War Dogs? 1200 years too old Egyptians?? Oh dear) but the game engine was good. Rome Total Realism was like a brand new game. The map was loads better, the units and factions felt authentic and the gameplay was rock hard. Also every faction played very differently. RTR had a big influence on Aeterna Civitas!

I would highly recommend that anyone who has not played RTR gets a copy of Rome Total War and the Barbarian Invasions which should be pretty cheap nowadays and takes the time to download and install the RTR mod. You won't regret it!
                        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                        SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Ah yes, Rome Total Realism. I love this game/mod. The original Tome Total War was poor (War Dogs? 1200 years too old Egyptians?? Oh dear) but the game engine was good. Rome Total Realism was like a brand new game. The map was loads better, the units and factions felt authentic and the gameplay was rock hard. Also every faction played very differently. RTR had a big influence on Aeterna Civitas!

I would highly recommend that anyone who has not played RTR gets a copy of Rome Total War and the Barbarian Invasions which should be pretty cheap nowadays and takes the time to download and install the RTR mod. You won't regret it!
                          Actually, i liked RTW Europa Barbarorum the better. I never solved the RTR 6.0 Gergovia bug, so i got tired and removed it.
                          I'm waiting for Roma Resurrecta now.
                          Anyway, a good choice of units compared to the first versions ( I loved Carthaginians particularly ). It had a great influence on my Civ gaming strategy and design.

Anyone willing for a RTR Civ mod?

Comment

Firstly a favor is needed. Can someone possibly hex edit the wonders back to available if I post a save file with them all deleted from the scenario. As a single player game I am completely revising the wonders!

The nitty gritty work of this scenario is progressing at a steady pace and I have now started working on the events. I am trying to find ways to coax the players into historically realistic situations whilst still allowing them freedom to make up their own strategy. I want to avoid straight forward time based events that will grind against what is actually happening in the game.

One idea I have had is to use the trade reducing techs (Flight etc...) from the beginning and have them removed if certain criteria are met, thus making trade more effective. For example the Romans begin with the Flight tech and if they can take all the cities of Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia (IE the spoils of the first Punic War) from Carthage then an event (making use of flags) removes the Flight tech from the Romans thus increasing their trade by 1/3. I would do the same kind of thing with the Greeks of Magna Graecia and for the Peloponnese.

This would allow the Roman to expand northwards first if they wish, but encourage them to fight the historical enemies first to secure their trade revenues. Later in the game I will probably give the Flight type techs back via events to compensate for a growing Roman Empire. I will also be placing wonders in enticing locations to help encourage the players to follow a historically realistic part. Does this idea sound feasible?

I have also been discussing an idea for Civil Wars with a Civ playing friend at work. I think the idea will need some work but it would cause players some major problems. I noticed that during the current scope of the scenario (281 BC-117 AD) there are at least 14 major civil wars or uprisings. Representing these events with the Civ2 engine is tricky. If there was a spare Civ to use I would create a Rebel faction. As there is not I will have to try an be a bit more creative. I have been looking at using a unit slot as a ground based unit with very high attack that is destroyed after attacking (for argument's sake I will call these units Rebellion). When a civil war begins these units could be event created outside Roman cities (perhaps 20 at a time in a stack) and they would be guaranteed to take the city. I could have permanent events (every turn create a unit at location x) spawning units under key cities. If these cities are captured by the Rebellion units they will start to receive these reinforcement units every turn, strengthening the Rebels. In turns when the city is not in Rebel hands the location for the event will be blocked and no units will be spawned.

As I said, this is still a concept, but I think it has the potential to make the game much more challenging for the player, especially if I randomize the locations and dates of these Civil Wars. I'm open to comments and suggestions!
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Thanks. Development is moving along quite nicely. I went through a stage of being completely disillusioned with single player scenarios, but after a time concentrating on quick and easy to build multiplayer games I am feeling really enthusiastic about this one. It all just feels right and I'm going to try and ride that wave of optimism.

A couple of quick questions:

1) Are the Knight & Engineer slots are still a problem in ToT?

2) What does the @CIVILIZE2 in the rules file do? (any links to guides?)

EDIT: Found a guide to @CIVILIZE2. I think I will leave well alone for now!
                              1) About the Engineer slot I don´t know any problems in ToT. The Knights slot is still a problem like in MGE. So I use the slot for event created units only. The same goes for the Armor/Tank slot.

2) The @CIVILIZE2 can be used for giving techs only for one civ. You have to change everything what you want about the techs in the rules before you start a new game. Otherwise your changes don´t work.
                              The guide should explain it much better than I did.
                              American War of Independence
                              A Divided Nation - US Civilwar

Comment

Thanks. I meant to say Knights and Musketeers. I put event generated units in these slots as I thought the effect/problem was still in ToT.

I think I will have to give @CIVILIZE2 a miss, I don't fancy starting from scratch
                                SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                                SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
                                X