Windows 7 Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Install

I built a new PC last week, and used Windows 7 as the OS. I was able to get CTP 2 to work. The only issue I had was that the opening video wouldn't display, but I could hear it playing. I just clicked the mouse button and got the main menu to display.

How to make videos display:
    1. Install Indeo codec. You can download it here: http://www.moviecodec.com/downloads/31d.html
    2.Open command line and type "regsvr32 ir50_32.dll"

I have another problem with CtP2 in Windows 7. The game doesn't run smoothly at all, especially mouse cursor. It's almost unplayable. No such problems were on Windows XP. Tried it on two PC's with Windows 7, the same result. I guess it has something to do with graphic card drivers or DirectX. My graphic card Radeon is 4850.

Comment

Hibernator,

Yes, I've noticed my mouse not being responsive at times. It's a wireless mouse, and I thought at first it was the battery getting low, but that wasn't the case. I have also noticed the mouse being unresponsive in another game, World In Conflict. However, I've been playing Europa Universalis III, and haven't had any trouble with the mouse. I'm using a logitech mouse.

Comment

First off, I'm a Apple user. I thought Vista had a feature where you could 'roll back' and play older games and use older peripheries. Does Win7 have this feature? I have an old Windows ME machine that's on it's last legs that I use to play CTP and Age Of Empires. I was thinking of getting a budget windows machine just to play these games, but now I'm not so sure. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
        The wall of the Achaians

Comment

If you have a shortcut on your desktop do the following:
          Right-click
          Select Properties
          Select the Compatibility tab
          Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
          Set the dropdown box below that to Windows XP SP3

You may also need to disable desktop composition (it's difficult to know ahead of time whether your particular situation will require it, so try with out this checked and if needed with this checked.)

If you do not have a shortcut on the desktop, you can follow the same procedures above for a taskbar item or a "favorite" item on the menu. If you have neither of those, then you need to make one (desktop shortcut, pin to taskbar or pin to favorites) and follow the instructions.

It works flawlessly for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aias View Post
            First off, I'm a Apple user. I thought Vista had a feature where you could 'roll back' and play older games and use older peripheries. Does Win7 have this feature? I have an old Windows ME machine that's on it's last legs that I use to play CTP and Age Of Empires. I was thinking of getting a budget windows machine just to play these games, but now I'm not so sure. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
            I'd take that old machine and put Ubuntu on it, if it will work. If it doesn't work right off of the live cd, you might have to swap out a videocard or if you have wireless internet that might need to be replaced with one that Linux supports. Other than that though, the computer will run like it was brand new again. And you'll be able to install Wine and Play on Linux which will allow you to play Age of Empires on it, as well as many other games.
            There's no default support for CtP2, and I only spent 10 minutes trying to get it to work with no luck.

Comment

Odd error,

So some how I made it through many many versions of all Civilization games happily and never knew this site/community existed. O well.

Anyway I have tried two install paths and both have failed completely. One is from my original CD, the other is from the install from the latest version on this site. I keep getting the error: "The procedure entry point _AIL_digital_master_volume@4 could not be located in the dynamic link library mss32.dll"

I get this error with the mss32.dll from the CD, and ones I could find online. I couldn't find one on this site that was still up. I'm running the program on XP3 compatibility as admen. Any ideas?

I'm running 64-bit Window 7 with the latest version of DirectX.

Comment

volos :

1) Download your latest BIOS and drivers for motherboard, and drivers for video and audio.

2) (optional but may help) Download and install WinAmp, which will replace your mss32.dll file. This might get rid of your basic audio problem.

3) Go to http://free-codecs.com and get the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (32-bit version, despite your using of 64-bit Windows 7), which will basically replace your whole audio/video subsystem except for the base drivers for your audio and videoc ards.

4) Run CTP2 in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, but not as admin. You don't need admin at all.

Comment

Working...
                X