Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much can automated Settlers/Engineers do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much can automated Settlers/Engineers do?

If I turn an automated engineer loose around my city, will he go so far as modifying plains into grassland on his own, or is it strictly irrigation and roads?

I've read the manual on this, and this is one of the places where the book is distressingly vague.

Thanks,

Jim W

Well, i don't think i have ever sen one transform terrain. It might only go so far as (if you ever played on the easy levels) when the dialogue box pops up and says "You should Iriigate this land" And the same type of box pops up for mining and roads. Since you never see a box for transforming, the automated settlers probly won't do this. Purely speculation though.

------------------
    SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
    -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
    "It's just a flesh wound!"
    - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Comment

Just passing along what I read sometime ago in these forums.... Have not tried it myself.
      If you have a settler, early in the game, and you put him on a piece of your city squares which has no access to water, the settler is able?? to irrigate it under the automate settler arrangement. I read that the automated settler will road and irrigate that square and then move on. You could then click on him to stop his automated efforts, and go ahead with what you actually want done on other squares, like mining etc. I don't know if this also applies to engineers as well, but it would also be worth a try some day. Good civin'
      Before you criticize your enemy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then if he gets really angry at your criticism, you are a mile away, and he is barefoot.

Comment

Well I just automated one of my settlers, and he went to work irrigating a patch that was outside the city's territory.

I know there must be some good uses for automation, but if it's going to waste efforts like this, I think micromanaging is far better.

Jim W

Comment

Jim - sorry to hear of your experience... but as I finished my posting, I also opened up a new game to try out the automate feature. Just after establishing my initial city, I put my other settler (the second one you get on diety level) where there was no access to water. Selected the automate, and he went to work. I think you do not see the letter on the shield to indicate what is happening, and a few turns later the settler had built a road on the square it was on. Then it moved to a square next to the city, but still not adjacent to any water...and in a few turns it had irrigated and roaded that square also.
          My suspicion is that it needs to start irrigating near water, like you and I have to do when we are managing the job selection, or, may be able to irrigate from next to the city center, since that square "automatically" has roads, and other improvements without having to have a settler or engineer be tasked to those improvements.
          When I get to the point in the game that I have engineers, I will attempt to try again using automate near a new city or maybe a newly captured city to see what the engineer can do without any water nearby... But that might be a few days, as I am having a lot of fun playing the game I loaded at random. I just have 50 shields to complete Leo's workshop, and then when I discover explosives, I'll have some engineers to give them a try. Until later.
          Before you criticize your enemy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then if he gets really angry at your criticism, you are a mile away, and he is barefoot.

Comment

It would be REALLY interesting if an automated settler can do things we can't do manually. (I bet that if this works at all, it works mostly at deity level of play.)

The main reason I gave up on automated settlers is that they can decide to leave the current city and go to another one several squares away. This is likely to be a total waste of time. I do not think a settler should leave town without permission!

- toby

------------------
            toby robison
            criticalpaths@mindspring.com
            toby robison
            criticalpaths@mindspring.com

Comment

Well, without having a chance to do the test with the engineers, yet, I agree with tobyr (prior posting - did I remember the handle correctly?) that I dont use the automate function either. I have found the few times I did, that the placement and the priority of the automated menu of jobs is not usually in sync with what I have in mind. It will mine any old hill, for example, when I would rather have the coal hills mined. So, I too have forgone the pleasure of automated settlers. Good civin'

Comment

In the TOT Lalande game, one way to get between the four maps is to build 'teleporters': SSTO Pad, Gravitational Grid, and a third which I currently forget; each allows transport between the main map and one other map. You get these by researching the required tecdhnology, after which your settler-types are able to build them. The problem is, to date I can build only the first one (using the 'j' key), even though I have the required techs. The AI, on the other hand, are able to build as advertised.

Does anybody know if automating my sttler-types will allow them to accomplish this 'impossible' task?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

whenever i try to automate my settlers, this funky looking chick in a body suit pops up. she calls herself "seven of nine" and then she says something about "resistence is futile" and (POOF!) my settlers are gone.

wierd.
                  The only way to stop a terrorist, is with a bullet.

Comment

Yeah! Isn't she the one wears a microchip circuit under her eye?

We may have been having the same experience.

Persistence is futile?

Jim W

Comment

Automated Settlers?...am I missing something?
                      My Civ 2 settlers can only be operated by me.
                      wish I COULD automate 'em...bit of a bind going round each of forty-some of them,per turn,to make them do their irrigating, fortifying, or road-building thing.

Comment

George -
                        hit the "k" key, that will automate your settler.

------------------
                        SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                        -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
                        "It's just a flesh wound!"
                        - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Comment

Thank you SandMonkey and Inca911...I'll try that, tho I cant recall seeing a "k" listed in my orders menu...I have the plain/vanilla edition of Civ2 - does this make any difference?

Comment

Irrigation Without Water!?!--yes it is true.

Another little known civ fact:
                            If you are in an area with no access to water you can automate your Settler under the "Orders" menu (k). He will first build a road on the square, and then he will build irrigation--even if there is no water around! I have noted that the settler seems to graviate towards special terrain squares if you have them, so you may have mixed success with this trick if you are in an area with a lot of specials until they have been improved. Anyone want to place a wager on whether or not the AI does this during play??

Except for this nice bit of trickery, the automate settler function is horrible at deciding a good course of action and should be avoided!

Comment

George Garrett - it depends on how old your "vanilla" Civ is. The automated settler feature was added in one of the patches (I'm not sure which, but it's definitely available in version 2.42).

Comment

Working...
                              X