Request feedback on some games along the lines of CEAW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request feedback on some games along the lines of CEAW

I went to Commander: Europe at War merchandise site, soon I will have one of my settlement checks, my angel and best buddy told me to pick some new games out!

First that looks interesting:

Close Combat Wacht am Rhein

Winter 1944, the Last Blitzkrieg. This is Close Combat, You are in Command!”…
    Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! This remake based on Close Combat: Battle of the Bulge gives newcomers and veterans to the series alike a vastly improved and expanded version of the original experience. The Wacht am Rhein remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign including a new strategic map with 64 gorgeous hand-drawn tactical maps, over 70 scenarios, tons of new interface and unit graphics, countless engine improvements, and much more!

In Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein, you take command of US or German forces and either retrace the last steps of Hitler’s army in one desperate attempt to turn the tide of the impending allied victory or ride to the rescue with General Patton and push back the German offensive to reclaim Bastogne.

Also included is a bonus “classic” version of the original Close Combat IV.

Things didn't look good for the German Army in late 1944. The allies had advanced as far as the West Wall and had taken back most of the conquests of the Blitzkrieg. Although the Montgomery's plan to end the war, Operation Market Garden, had failed there was still a palpable sense that the Allies were on the verge of a major victory. With things not looking good on the Eastern front either, Hitler decided to make one last gamble and attempt to cut off a significant portion of the Allied army. Throwing in what remained of his feared Panzer divisions and his last reserves, he drove through Belgium to Antwerp in what would be called Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein (translated as Operation The Guard on the Rhine or Operation Watch on the Rhine).

At first it looked as though Hitler’s plan had a chance of succeeding. Early in the operation the advance was reminiscent of the Blitzkrieg across Europe early in the war. Although undersupplied and under trained, US troops still fought valiantly and in many spots offered pockets of stiff resistance which despite the rapid German advance. The German advance was quick, but as the days wore on, the advance out-paced its own supply and stockpiles began to run low. The situation was made worse with poor roads throughout the Ardennes and difficult winter weather. Almost as quickly as the attack had started, the advance ground to a halt.

To add insult to injury, the 101st Airborne earned the nickname the “battered bastards of Bastogne” by putting up a unrelenting defense for this strategic point while vastly outnumbered and surrounded by heavily armored German forces. Refusing to back down, they prevented the Germans from occupying the important Belgium crossroads town and scored a major strategic and psychological victory for the Allies. Later, as the weather cleared, Allied air support was able to decimate German supply columns and advancing armor. This bought enough time for Patton’s armor and other reinforcements to arrive and begin the long slow reduction of the Bulge the Germans had created in the Allied line.

Now in this classic top down real time tactical simulation, you take command of either US or German forces to retrace these fateful days of the war. Attempt to turn the tide of the impending Allied victory or desperately defend Bastogne while riding to the rescue with General Patton’s 3rd Army. In this vastly improved rebuild based on the critically acclaimed and award winning Close Combat series, You are in command!

Anyone heard of it or played it?
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Horse and Musket Volume 1

The birth of Prussia and the legend of Frederick the Great!
    The Seven Years’ War was fought across the globe and called by some the first “World War” as virtually every major power participated. In the center of events was Prussia, almost constantly at war and lead by the now legendary Frederick the Great.

Relive the exciting and trying days of Frederick the Great in Horse and Musket: Volume I, the improved and expanded combination of the previous Prussian War Machine and Prussia’s Glory titles. Horse and Musket: Volume I is a reboot of the successful Horse and Musket series, including not only two solid historical titles in one package, but also many new game features, a powerful new editor, and a complete graphics overhaul to an already acclaimed gaming system.

Through the classic turn-based hex system, gamers take command of a wide variety of historical units and leaders as they try to follow in Frederick’s footsteps across 10 of his famous battles, making for a whopping 40 scenarios in total. Maneuver your infantry battalions, cavalry squadrons, and artillery batteries to break the enemy lines and claim your own title as a great captain of history!

Perhaps the most important feature to celebrate with Horse and Musket: Volume I is the revival of this innovative gaming system! With many new features and improvements, this latest release still has the same engaging game mechanics that bring to life the battlefields and tactics of the 18th Century!

The cornerstone of the Horse and Musket game system is a command and control system that models the disruption and chaos of battle in this period. More than a classic turn-based IGOUGO design, during each turn every leader makes an activation check. Those leaders who succeed in their check take their turn while those that fail wait for another opportunity to check. A variety of historical factors are involved in activation and as a result each turn can have its surprises. The order of leaders may change and players must learn to adapt their plans once battle begins.

The most senior commanders on each side play an important role in the Horse and Musket system. History tells us that great battlefield commanders could choose the right moment to swing a battle from defeat to victory. In Horse and Musket: Volume I, commanders can improve their subordinates at certain points in the scenario. Choosing when to lend them your support is critical, for the timely use of your command points can alter the course of the battle and this combined with the activation system means that bold moves can unhinge your enemy’s line or your own, depending on how well you handle your forces.

Each turn represents fifteen minutes of real time, each hex is 150 yards across. Infantry units are battalions, cavalry are two to three squadrons per unit, and artillery batteries are four or more guns a unit. Leaders are represented individually and with units and leaders assigned to a historical hierarchy and order of battle for each side.

Look kinda neat, anyone?

Comment

World War 2: Time of Wrath

Diplomacy has failed, tyranny is on the march, now is the Time of Wrath!
      From the front lines in France and Russia to the deserts of North Africa and the airfields and convoys of Britain, the campaigns of World War II are yours to command in WW2: Time of Wrath! This turn-based grand strategy title, the highly improved and expanded sequel to WW2: Road to Victory, puts the player in charge of the political, economic and military decisions of one or more Axis or Allied nations, including minor nations. A diplomacy system based on political points allows you to sway possible allies to your side. An upgraded and expanded naval combat system includes fleet engagements, combat patrols, massive aircraft carriers, elusive raiders and U-Boats as well as a convoy system.

Concentrate precious industrial resources on building, training and upgrading a wide variety of combat units from airborne soldiers and armored divisions up to nuclear weapons! Historical leaders enhance the performance of your armies and hundreds of historical events like the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, Lend-Lease and more give you choices that can change the course of history. WW2: Time of Wrath is fought across turns that vary in length by season and 25 km hexes with divisions and corps, giving the player a broad strategic picture of the war while still leaving enough room for operational decisions.

Game Features

Four Grand Campaigns (1939, 1940, 1941 and 1944) cover the full war in the European Theater, lasting up to 1948 for maximum flexibility
      Two Short Scenarios (Fall Weiss and Overlord)
      Simple and intuitive user interface with engrossing historical gameplay
      Hundreds of historical events such as Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, Vienna Dictate, Lend-Lease, and many more.
      Play as any nation and as any combination of countries to experience the war through a unique perspective.
      Air and Land Combat, including Sieges, Interceptions, Strategic Bombardment, Air Recon, Fleet Air attacks, Bombardment.
      Enhanced naval system that includes Aircraft Carriers, Battle, Patrol and Submarine Groups. Managing fleets, convoys and raiders in Sea Zones.
      Air forces now extend their power over nearby sea zones.
      Advanced weather system simulates spring and autumn / rainfall and snow. Beware of General Winter! Weather conditions have a different effect on each country.
      Any combination of move and attack is allowed as long as Action Points are available.
      Technological race in research of new more powerful units.
      Mulberry harbors now available as a helpful and powerful tool in preparation for huge landing operations.
      Paratroopers conduct airborne landings help to take distant key point locations.
      Fully historical, detailed orders of battle in all scenarios with historical names for hundreds of land, air and naval units.
      Land units divided are into Divisional and Corps size allowing the player to choose what best fits his economy and play style.
      Historical commanders boost the effectiveness of units under their care.
      Improved A.I. to perform better at the strategic and tactical level.
      An innovative naval combat model and realistic supply convoy attack system
      A simple yet immersive political point system for diplomatic relations – alienate enemies and solidify ties with allies
      A healthy variety of combat units to command from armoured and airborne forces to strategic bombers and battleships – even nukes!
      Random historical events that can guide and shape the course of the war

Looks promising, customability with scenario making really appeals to me personally

Comment

Forge of Freedom

The war that forged a nation…
        As the leader of the Union or Confederacy in Forge of Freedom, you will be faced with historical decisions on the military, economic and diplomatic strategies to pursue in your goal to win a war that divided a nation and pitted brother against brother.

Immerse yourself in Forge of Freedom for the PC. Forge of Freedom, not only gives you command of the military forces but the political and economic responsibilities that faced the Union and Confederacy governments. Each state has its own Governor and will make demands on you and shift their attitudes according to events as they occur. Elections on both a state and national level can have a lasting impact on your overall stratagem as well as diplomacy with the European powers to sway them towards or against intervention.

Forge of Freedom covers both land, and sea power. Over 1,000 historical generals are included along with an option to know their abilities ahead of time or have to find out the hard way, as happened historically. Railroads, rivers and cities all play important roles as every effort has been made to bring you as thorough a simulation of the American Civil War as possible, from 1860 to 1865, from the skirmishes and raids in the West to the pitched battles in the East and the Union Naval blockade of Southern ports. Forge of Freedom places complete control of either the Confederate States of America or the United States of America in your hands. Face off in a war over slavery, unity, and state rights. Take command of the bloodiest war in the Nation’s history in Forge of Freedom!

Out of Eight: “The combination of grand strategy and classic detailed tactical battles gives Forge of Freedom a leg up on most of the competition in terms of game features. Forge of Freedom is a highly enjoyable title that’s recommended to anyone who wants to take his or her shot at commanding the Civil War.... A Civil War grand strategy game with flexible complexity that’s friendly to new players while still maintaining strategic variety: 7/8”

Gamesquad.com:”9 / 10 - Forge of Freedom is the best and most complete game of the American Civil War on the market.”

Game Features
        Over 700 authentic flags to customize unit standards
        Over 1,000 historical generals at your command.
        Control the Iron Brigade, the Orphan Brigade or 100 other legendary units
        50 types of period firearms and artillery
        Train sharpshooters, equip reconnaissance balloons and host of other personal and equipment to customize your brigades.
        Chose between detailed and quick combat to resolve battles.
        Challenging AI
        Customizable complexity
        ... and many more!

Intriguing...anyone heard of?

Comment

Advanced Tactics: World War II

Take Command and chose your Tactics!…
          Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The first module in this series is Advanced Tactics: World War II, which allows gamers to hop into a Panzer and storm across Europe. Complete with a streamlined interface and an addicting style of gameplay, Advanced Tactics offers a unique and infinitely replayable experience for any strategy fan. Depending on the scenario, you can decide what your towns should produce, which HQs receive reinforcements, how your chain of command is formed, what sort of troop and equipment mix you put in each unit, if you use air, land, or sea strategies or maybe even call in the paratroopers – the possibilities are endless! Almost any type of strategy or tactic and be used effectively in Advanced Tactics.

To round out Advanced Tactics’ replayability, it also features a powerful scenario editor that allows gamers to recreate their favorite historical scenarios or simply fabricate their own fictional conflicts. World War 2 buffs will enjoy Advanced Tactics’ numerous scenarios from the period like: Gothic Line, Afrika Korps, the Russian Front, Endsieg, and more. Furthermore, for players with only the time to play and not create their own scenarios there is a powerful and easy-to-use random scenario generator that will keep gameplay fresh with minimum user input to create new missions and campaigns.

Gamershall.de Rated 9/10 Gold Award: "Whoa !!! Advanced Tactics is the best strategy game of the year I could put my hands on."

Out of Eight Rated 8/8: "This highly addictive wargame is an absolute bargain ... and Advanced Tactics should be a part of any strategy gamer's collection"

Game Squad: “Simple, flexible, intelligent and infinitely playable, Advanced Tactics World War II is a must buy for gamers of all stripes!”

Armchair General: “Strategy gamers who miss this title will be missing out indeed.”

Scenarios
          WWII
          Der Endsieg 1944
          Russia 1941
          Russia 1942
          Ardennes 1944
          Gothic 1944
          Africa 1941
          Pacific 1941
          Europe 1939
          Fictional
          Blitzkrieg
          2nd Civil War
          End of a Union (Future EU vs. United Caliphate vs. Russia)
          Risk for Three
          Adventure Island
          The Last Stand
          Random Towns
          European Diplomacy
          USA Pickem
          ”Even Steven”
          Two Roads
          PBEM Duel
          Clash of Steel
          Three Ladder Scenarios
          Five Tutorial and Training Scenarios
          Infinite Randomly Generated Maps and Scenarios for Extreme Replayability!

Game Features
          Random map and scenario generator with optional shroud of darkness and mirror map functionality, infinitely replayable!
          A Wargame Construction Kit-like editor allowing you to make any wargame scenario you like.
          Realistic Supply System that can be harassed by damaging bridges and ports or by interdicting enemy supply lanes with your navy or airpower
          Customizable Chain of Command
          Excellent PBEM cheat prevention mechanism not even re-installing the game will let you cheat.
          Detailed, but fully automated mini battles, with results that show you what’s happened during the battle.
          Engineers can construct rods and fortifications, blow bridges and build airfields
          Aircraft can paradrop, airlift, airsupply, air attack, bomb and do air recon missions
          Excellent Fog of War, depending on your recon level you have full information, partial information or almost no information on enemy units and hexes.
          You can control what all your towns and cities produce.
          Up to 4 research level for almost all equipment; possible to upgrade existing equipment both in service and on production lines.
          Three (3) Great Operational scale WWII scenarios: Ardennes ’44, Africa ’41 and Ghothic Line ‘44
          Two (2) Full Theater WWII Eastern Front scenarios for 1941 and 1942
          A 3 player Europe 1945 scenario giving the Germans a last chance due to the Soviets advancing on the Allies
          Fictional USA and Europe map scenarios, as well as a Diplomacy style scenario
          History Screen in which you can review all moved the enemy made in his turn
          Not just limited to 2 players, scenarios for up to 9 players are included
          Very customizable units; you decide the weapon mix of you divisions!
          Command forces on land, sea and in the air
          ... and many more!

Now this one is loaded!

Im eager to hear from the very gurus I have come to trust on this sort of gaming decisions..

Comment

Does anyone here play games such as COMMANDER:EUROPE AT WAR?

I have a lot of enjoyment with this,looking additional games around various historical engagements from around the globe.

Thanks!

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Checking in to see if anyone else has played any games such as Commandr: Europe at War and also the game being able to play on 64 bit file systems.......

Thanks for any feedback!!!!

Gramps

Comment

Guess not....I still play CEAW myself though...

Comment

Working...
                X