Wolfshanze Mod = Dumb AI ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolfshanze Mod = Dumb AI ?

I've started my first moded game. Mind you, I wasn't too daring and chose a mostly esthetic mod : Wolfshanze (I didn't get to the modern era to enjoy the new units and the new leaders seem to be MotS).

First remark : I have graphic bugs. I run on an old desktop (P IV 2.4 from fall 2003 with an ATI Radeon 7500 graphic card) but the un-moded game displays everything correctly (albeit slowly). With Wolfshanze I see only parts of some units (e.g. : only the quivers of ennemy archers, only the beautifully waving capes of my horsemen, etc.)

More intriguingly, the AI seems much dumber than in normal BtS. I'm playing Julius Caesar (I wanted to try and be bad using legionnaires). De Gaulle chocked my expansion at 5 1/2 cities, yet I'm reluctant to dow on him since he has the same religion, he loves me (the only one to love me actually) and because I so much like to improve my cities and build wonders that my army is quite puny ...

Yet I'm far ahead of all the other guys in technology. This is the first time this happens to me. In all my previous games I noticed that I was scrambling to keep pace with them about the time they got to Feudalism / Civil Service / Machinery. About this time in my unmoded BtS games, I was often struggling to find ways to avoid falling behind. Such as getting first to Divine Right and then exchanging with three different AIs for the above techs or their close followers (Engineering, Guilds). Now I not only got first to Divine Right (I bulbed it though) but I was also easily first to Philosophy (never happened to me before in BtS) and to Music (ditto).

Not only I got first to techs I never managed to be first to in unmoded games before, I also get to build wonders I don't often manage to. Despite not being Industrious and having neither stone nor marble, I built Great Library although De Gaulle had Aesthetics and Literature long before I got to it and didn't want to exchange it. And I'm a couple of turns away from building the Parthenon too !

So was wondering whether other people with experience of both normal BtS and Wolfshanze have noticed something similar (AI apparently dumber in Wolfshanze) ?

What level are you playing? Below Prince, the AI is soft and unscientific, getting worse as the level lowers.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Wolfenshanze exposes a huge memory leak that makes the game unplayable on some platforms (namely mine) to the point that i eventually quit Civ altogether in frustration.

Good MOD but Civ 4 really does suck sometimes.
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

You need to be playing Legends of Revolution or WolfRevolution instead. Phungus has fixed most of the problems with the Wolfshanze mod. (And if you don't like the Revolutions aspect, you can turn it off in the custom game start screen.)

Note: I have moved my focus in modding to Legends of Revolution. If you have enjoyed WolfRevolution you will likely very much enjoy Legends. I will continue to support WolfRevolution, in a limited capacity. Since Legends of Revolution follows my design goals and philosophy, WolfRevolution is...

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
          You need to be playing Legends of Revolution or WolfRevolution instead. Phungus has fixed most of the problems with the Wolfshanze mod. (And if you don't like the Revolutions aspect, you can turn it off in the custom game start screen.)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=292578
          I've tried WolfRevolution but it crashes after a few turns on my machine. Besides, from what I've seen, it bends and twists the game far too much and adds too many things and somehow I get the impression I'm almost playing another game. For the moment I'm happy with BtS, I don't need another game.

Anyway, it doesn't answer my question. Maybe I was too shy and got in noman's land : playing with only Wolfshanze Mod ... Maybe there are only two categories of players : those that only play unmoded and those that MOD it all the way and play "Legends of Revolution DCM Wolfshanze"

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
            What level are you playing? Below Prince, the AI is soft and unscientific, getting worse as the level lowers.
            I play Emperor but it's not very relevant : I'm comparing same with same. I'm VERY surprised to be already leading in tech in around 1100AD with only 5 serious cities. In unmoded BtS, playing same difficulty level I wouldn't become top tech dog until at least Assembly Line. I am also VERY surprised to be the first to discover Philo and Music (none of them with bulbing). It never happened in my admiteddly only about 10 complete emperor games on standard BtS. I am very surprised to be able to build the Parthenon without marble and without an industrious leader. Never managed to build the Parthenon in standard BtS because I do not consider it a priority (but hey, if nothing else happens, I have more fun building the Parthenon than training armies anyway).

Comment

Note that one game does not a fair sampling make. Try a few more games of it (if the graphics problem is not too much).

Of course, an even better solution might be to bite the bullet and get a better computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe View Post
                Note that one game does not a fair sampling make. Try a few more games of it (if the graphics problem is not too much).

Of course, an even better solution might be to bite the bullet and get a better computer.
                No, of course, and this is why I asked here. Still, it's intriguing.

Actually I realize the graphics problem is very annoying during a war : Kim Jong Il and Justinian just relieved me of a difficult decision (when to attack ?) by DOW-ing on me. Great, that way I can still think of myself as being the good guy. The problem is, most unit flags don't show : they appear white. It's very annoying to not know whether that big menacing stack is Kim's or De Gaulle's (mon ami).

About getting a better computer ... this one suits my needs pretty well. I might look around to see if I manage to upgrade (are there AGP graphic cards yet ?). Other than that, given the poor performance of the AI I'll probably rather revert to playing standard unmoded BtS

Comment

What, no accompanying add or link. I'm surprised.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There's a link on the line right below his sentence. Highlight to see its presence if you wish, but DO NOT click. My company's filter says it has viruses AND is graphic pron. The filter is very prudish on s*x, but excellent on virus detection. Post should be deleted.
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Ah, you reported it then, didn't you Blau.

Comment

No. I forgot that rah is "Just another peon" now. Give me a couple minutes and I will.

Comment

Okay. Sent to the mod (and owner) Robert Plomp.

Comment

Yep, just another peon that killed poly
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Not dead yet, he says unaware that the background noise is hospital monitors demanding attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X