Greek Symbols used in Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek Symbols used in Medicine

I'm getting a little annoyed here because I am often asked to design society logo's for .... societies; usually medical ones.

If you notice on the back of an ambulance, you will see the typical symbol of the staff and ONE serpent wrapped around it, this is the Greek symbol for medicine (Asclepius).
    However, if you just do a quick search for Medicine Logo, you will find that most of their logos actually represent the Greek symbol for commerce (Caduceus).

According to Wikipedia, this is a mistake made common by North Americans.

**** you United States. I am one-by-one fixing Singapore's medical society logos.
    be free

Given that the US spends more on medical care than any other nation, even proportionally, this is apt.

Comment

Medicine is a commercial activity around these parts.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post

I am one-by-one fixing Singapore's medical society logos.

Don't mess with the Illuminati!
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

The barber shop is the true symbol of medicine... or bloodletting, whatever
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
            I'm getting a little annoyed here because I am often asked to design society logo's for .... societies; usually medical ones.

If you notice on the back of an ambulance, you will see the typical symbol of the staff and ONE serpent wrapped around it, this is the Greek symbol for medicine (Asclepius).
            However, if you just do a quick search for Medicine Logo, you will find that most of their logos actually represent the Greek symbol for commerce (Caduceus).

According to Wikipedia, this is a mistake made common by North Americans.

**** you United States. I am one-by-one fixing Singapore's medical society logos.
            A 1992 survey of American health organizations found that 62% of professional associations used the rod of Asclepius, whereas in commercial organizations, 76% used the caduceus.

I WONDER WHY THAT IS.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Probably because commercial organizations are more concerned with marketing than professional organizations. The Caduceus' is more balanced and probably faired better in test groups for ease of recognition, symmetry, and less intimidating.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Apparently the confusion dates back to the 19th century US Army medical corps.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm pretty sure non-NA needs to give the US a mulligan on this one, given that they chose to use the obviously inferior and effeminate sounding "aluminium" over the shorter, easier to pronounce AND older "aluminum"

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I chuckle when I hear "aluminium"

Can you get me some aluminium foil?
                    That airframe is made from solid aluminium!

teehee
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Anyone who says Aluminum sounds retarded. - FACT!
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

No, anybody who says "aluminium" sounds like an effete *******
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's not the words I use, unfortunately.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

I'm going to assume you mean that you sound like an effete, retarded *******
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Mainly because anyone who says Aluminum has a North American accent. Nothing to do with the word
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X