Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CTP2 Apolyton Edition: Revision 1013 (25-Jul-2009)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SDKane View Post
    Wait a sec? - it's a scenario meaning there's rules involved that could be conflicting with the AE?
    A quick test with the debug version seems to suggest the problem is the city styles in that saved scenario. It's looking for the science bonus of a particular city style (this was added in the AE), but it can't find it for the city style.

Where can I get a map that I can have a good solid LONG game with every civ possible? Is there a way to get a map (just a map) that can do this?

EDIT: world map 400x400 (the big kahuna where even england has detail) - even incorrect starting locations would be fine by me - I can just cheat and place them at the start. t'is all I really want lol.
    You best bet for now might be to download Omni's world map and create your own scenario using the AE. I don't know if the binary version has rivers or goods, but the txt version definitely doesn't have either, which means you'd have to add them all yourself. Unless someone has a better idea (given a day or two, it's not unlikely ).
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Great!

Thanks for the help. I'll go with that idea and when I get something out of Omni's world map that works with AE I'll put it up for others to download for those looking for a big game.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora View Post
        A quick test with the debug version seems to suggest the problem is the city styles in that saved scenario. It's looking for the science bonus of a particular city style (this was added in the AE), but it can't find it for the city style.
        Well that wasn't the crash you posted but I fixed that anyway.

For the crash you posted I'll also try to fix now. SDKane: did you use any custom rules or ages with the scenario? Also attaching your userprofile.txt might be useful.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Not that I know of. Every time I install AE I wipe uninstall and reinstall CTP2 completely. Anything I put up is default. Unless there's custom ages in the Civ3 graphics mod - there's none that I know of. I tried playing without and the crash eventually still happens.

Anyhow I feel I've posted too many mishaps regarding this edition and I feel bad about it, so I might as well post some pro's and things I like

- I love the new ore's whoever changed the graphics of Iron, Uranium, Copper, Gold (oh god especially gold), really made a necessary graphic change. As I play with a ton of goods (typically I'll cheat and add good clusters that are hot-spots for certain goods to give me a reason to go and capture and area).

- The AI is a lot less dumb and provides a challenge, props to the person(s) who have worked hard to make that better.

- The interface is wonderful and much easier to use.

Suggestions for further enhancements from my point of view and playstyle. I will admit I'm a builder and economist more than I am a conqueror so this might not apply to everyone.

1) Tundra needs more goods.
          Rationale: I used to live in northern Canada and I can say although it might be harsh and sparse there's still money to be made up there.

Suggestion:
          i) caribou
          ii) Fur - as per civ 2 (+food +gold bonus's [more emphasis on gold])
          iii) Musk Ox - as per civ2 (+food +gold bonus's [more emphasis on food])
          iv) Polar Bear (+gold bonus)

2) Trade and commerce
          Rationale: one could play and beat the game without access to a single good whatsoever, competition and and the acquisition of goods should have a direct affect on the outcome of the game.

Suggestion: make gathering goods provide bigger (more sensible) increases in net profit. Sometimes you can acquire a good that provides +2000 gold per turn while others provide +24 gold per turn. Granted the rare goods and minerals should provide more economy and production but not to the point that ignoring the common - realistically essential goods - is a viable way to go about business. I suggest flat-lining the value of goods and all cities should have an equal demand for such goods. I also find some inconsistencies regarding this where I'll have 3 cities that have oil (from a pre-made oil field on one of my maps) but they also demand oil (while London which is nowhere near any oil deposits demands none).
          I'm also unsure but maybe - perhaps - that as a city grows the demand for certain goods rises. So your monster size 40 capital is hungry for all the goods your empire could provide.

Suggestion 2: improvements increase demand and profit from goods. A nuclear power plant boosts city demand for uranium by XXX% or an oil refinery and airport boosts city demand for oil by XXX% Earlier years: A bank increases city demand for gold by XXX% a broker increases demand of all minerals and jade by XX% A bazaar place increases demand for hardwood, wheat, apples, elephant, caribou, sugar, fruit etc. by XX% A drug store increases demand for medical herbs and poppies by XX% and a hospital does the same.

Negative effects: Eco-transit reduces demand for oil in city but increases demand and profit of wheat. Thus you may shatter your oil producing income but increase your wheat industry (in the stead of the real-life corn).

Wonders: East India company increases demand for Bears, caribou, gold, jade and sugar for the city it's built in. London Exchange increases demand for everything in that city.

Anyhow that's all thats on my mind for the commerce sector of the game If you find these suggestions useful that's awesome, if not thats ok too. I just think goods and trade should add much more depth and strategy to the game as in its real life counterpart if there was no demand for goods and riches than America, Canada, and Mexico would may not have come to exist.

Comment

Not that I know of. Every time I install AE I wipe uninstall and reinstall CTP2 completely. Anything I put up is default.
            OK thanks.

It seems that when one of the civs discovers an advance the game then rechecks all the remaining advances that can be researched. At this point it seems to be checking advances that are outside the advance database, in this case checking advance #107 when there are only 0-106 in the default AE advance database.

Unless there's custom ages in the Civ3 graphics mod - there's none that I know of. I tried playing without and the crash eventually still happens.
            Where did you download it from? Best to check just in case.

Anyhow I feel I've posted too many mishaps regarding this edition and I feel bad about it
            Better that you post them now rather than someone else later.

I just think goods and trade should add much more depth and strategy to the game as in its real life counterpart if there was no demand for goods and riches than America, Canada, and Mexico would may not have come to exist.
            I agree completely, trade goods and routes have to become as essential as building cities, or terrain improvements. Unfortunately we have lots of things like this that need rethinking. So you'll have to mess around in the text files yourself to improve that aspect of the game for now, like making upgrades and unit gold support more expensive, or increasing profit from routes, things like that.

Comment

Version 2009-07-27
              0x0044f414 [?MoveIntoTransport@ArmyData@@QAE_NABVMapPoint@@AAV CellUnitList@@@Z + 0x64]
              crash w/ cradle3
              "

Comment

Another thing I'd like to toss out there: Is it possible to manually draw your own trade route paths? Another method to combat piracy.

Comment

Another thing I'd like to toss out there: Is it possible to manually draw your own trade route paths? Another method to combat piracy.
                  That would eliminate piracy.

It's possible to influence the path a route takes, by increasing the freight cost of a terrain in terrain.txt, so that a route goes over land rather than water for example. Although that's unrealistic, and would make the game less interesting IMO.

Comment

Music - slider will not turn the volume up or down. It is always at a constant volume.

Screen scroll - how do you adjust the screen scroll speed (not mouse speed) so that the screen is not moving left/right or up/down at very fast speeds?

Comment

While starting the game in the 25-07-09 apolyton edition in a vanilla patched ctp2 game, I have got the message "CRARR4B_string.txt not found in asset tree" and crash back to desktop.

Any help?
                      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                      Kill all and you are a God!"
                      -Jean Rostand

Comment

That's a cradle file, you got to remove the ruleset entry in userprofile.txt before going back to vanilla.
                        "

Comment

Well I don't know if this is usefull or not. As I said in my other post, in general, when I load up the game, I got 2 error messages saying something about a Sprite Long bowman not found in sprite data base and sprite_elephant_warrior not found in sprite data base, I click on continue and the game plays.

Well the game is still minimized and all I do is click on it, and can start playing the game. I noticed also when I am in a new game, and I don't like how the map looks, I click on start new game, and same thing happens, you get the load screen, and then the 2 messages again, but this time I can't play, the game just quits. I start it again.

A bit annoying but love the new graphic interface when it loads, new resolutions, and options. Great job. Hopefully I will not have any problems playing the game.

Not shure if it's a bug, or something I did wrong during installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Yolky View Post
                            Well I don't know if this is usefull or not. As I said in my other post, in general, when I load up the game, I got 2 error messages saying something about a Sprite Long bowman not found in sprite data base and sprite_elephant_warrior not found in sprite data base, I click on continue and the game plays.
                            You should not get those errors at all. I'd figure that out first. Did you make sure to overwrite all files when extracting the AE to your CtP2 folder?

Check newsprite.txt in \ctp2_data\default\gamedata it should have these new entries:

#AE MOD
                            SPRITE_ELEPHANT_WARRIOR 81
                            SPRITE_LONGBOWMAN 89
                            SPRITE_LEGION 85
                            SPRITE_SWORDSMAN 84

Now check that the sprites themselves exist in \ctp2_data\default\graphics\sprites named GU081.SPR, GU089.SPR, etc. Note they're not GU81.SPR, GU89.SPR etc.

Comment

Looks like even after buying one of the AI's cities, it still can make improvements on it.
                              Also, after changing Capitol, the host city loses all improvements.
                              And looks like the AI doesn't even bothers if you're allied, it will attack you! The diplomacy manager shows the happiest face ever, when they suddenly throws a rock at you.
                              Last edited by LemurMadness; August 15, 2009, 19:09.

Comment

I unintstalled the game, and reinstalled it. This time I didn't bother with the patch 1.1 because it said it was compatiable with 1.0 and now I don't get any error messages.

Comment

Working...
                                X