No announcement yet.

Not cool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noted that I had such a group march thru my territory to go take out another civ. I still don't know why. I had a couple of clean (no promotions) warriors in my capitol which was not on a hill, but I was bypassed. Who knows what Blake used as the logic in that case.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

It's like early in the game when you have barb warriors cruising around but not entering your area. It's like they're waiting for a condition to be met before they start coming at you.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think that when that event occurs, there's a primary target. It might be you, it might be someone else, even if they appear right outside your borders and have to go through your territory to get there. If it happens early, and you're the target, you could be screwed. Of course, you might reap the benefits of it being someone else. Send a few troops when their capital gets taken, and you might arrive to find it undefended, as the barbs have moved on.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

YES, I've done that before and reaped the benefits. Once I was able to claim an entire civ with just a couple of chariots. Granted if four barb archers can trash a civ, a few chariots probably would have been able to come close but it's always better if you can do it without a DOW.

Yes, sometimes in the event it tells you that you are likely to be the one attacked.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

They do have a plan usually, which is to go for the weakest Civ in a few dozen tiles' range. If you just have 3 Warriors to defend that's enough if your neighbor has 2

For normal barbs there seems to be a set time for when they can attack. The earliest normal barb attack I've seen is pretty much exactly 2400BC/2600BC/2800BC for Emperor/Immortal/Deity.
            It's a lowercase L, not an uppercase I.

Comment

well that explains the 4 horse archers then. I just don't remember seeing an "event" message in the log. I may have missed it. The good thing was it was a border town with a resource I was trying to protect (my only source of iron, and I had no copper). So I had 4 defensive units there at the time. So in that case I guesstimated they would go for my city. So I moved the two units off the iron resource into my city to fortify (taking a chance that they would move onto the iron and pillage it). It was enough to resist the attack of the 4 horse archers.

So I'll have to keep an eye out for this in the future. As I often leave cities with only one defender . Except in cases like this of course.

Comment

It's the early horse archer event that is deadly. I don't typically have a bunch of spearman at the time, unless it's my UU. I mostly have axes or chariots depending on the available resourses. In MP games, I've been able to beat off the archers and axemen events. But the horse archer one is bad because I rarely have enough of the counter, and they come at you quicker.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

As soon as one of those event is reported, every single city is switched to unit production. Whipping time. I don't wait until the bad guys appear on the border.

Comment

Working...
                  X