Not cool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not cool!

Here is what happened in the last game that I started. This is marathon, fractal , huge, emperor, normal barbarians.
    This screen shot is taken after I went to the world builder to see what the barbs were doing in other places of the map that is why the mini map is messed up.
    Attached Files
    Quendelie axan!

Quite a few mods, and BetterAI too, I think, have changed those wacky mass barb events to not be eligible until you have researched the counter unit. At least, it looks like that's what's happening though I don't see it in the event log.

Comment

Oh, I see.

You must construct additional pylons. Also garrison your ****ing capital
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Whoa, I didn't realize it was a half dozen of them.

At least you weren't too invested in the game at that point.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Ooooh! You hit that nasty event! Isn't it EXCITING?!

Sure, it's potentially a game killer. But the risk of it happening is to teach you to build lots of military so you can survive it (it's happened to me, too). Everyone should have this experience: once to send you screaming, and once or twice more so you don't consider it just a fluke.

Comment

Teach you to be able to handle 6 simultaneous archers @ 2600BC? :P Not very plausible unless you nerf yourself by beelining archery and building pure military the first 100 turns... Damn Vedic Aryans are an unstoppable game spoiler sometimes.

I thought it's the default unmodded behavior not to get those barb events unless you have the countertech (archery in this case). Just that the AI's have archery from the get-go, so the archer barb horde can spawn near an AI and proceed to ignore it and try to spoil the human's game. (Also why it doesn't show on the event log; it happened to a Civ you hadn't met yet at the time)

I feel the OP's pain, just finished a game which started by me having killed 25 barbs by 1800BC (No raging barbs)
            It's a lowercase L, not an uppercase I.

Comment

30 - 40 turns into the game, a barb stack this big is bad balancing. The AI can never handle this and the Human is dead more often then not. Random evens should have an influence on the game, but this is pretty much a random even: bang, you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by TriMiro View Post
                30 - 40 turns into the game, a barb stack this big is bad balancing. The AI can never handle this and the Human is dead more often then not. Random evens should have an influence on the game, but this is pretty much a random even: bang, you're dead.
                Beta testers said that. Players said that after the game was released, as well as after an extra 3 patches.

You think people would listen, right?

Got anything to say, Sirian?
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

My event log shows no barb events. (although it is probably hard to read due to resizing)

The nearest AI is at least 15 tiles away and this is a clean BTS game with the latest patch.

Also do the barb uprising events come when you have the tech to counter them or when you have actual units built that can counter them.
                  Because if I have bronze working but no copper I can't really counter swords uprising.
                  Quendelie axan!

Comment

I think the reason the barb hordes are willing to travel tens of tiles to reach the human is because they "sense" that the human player has much worse defenses at this point than the couple of archers the AIs have. I'm still pretty sure that screenshot has to be a result of an event near a Civ you hadn't met.

I think the Civ for which the event happens has to be able to build the counter unit (anything else just doesn't make any sense), but as noted the hordes can wander off to fight less prepared Civs. That's just my best guess though.
                    It's a lowercase L, not an uppercase I.

Comment

I've been away from the game, so I'm not sure what this is. Could someone please explain?

What's with these barb 'events'? Is this a new feature?

One time I seen 4 barb horse archers come right up to my city. I didn't understand that as they went in between 2 ai cities and straight for mine. But I didn't see any kind of "event"

Comment

Originally posted by slnz View Post
                        ...I'm still pretty sure that screenshot has to be a result of an event near a Civ you hadn't met.

I should be able to see if there was a Vedic Aryans event if I load the game and retire and watch the replay, right? I am going to try this when I get back home.
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
                          I've been away from the game, so I'm not sure what this is. Could someone please explain?

What's with these barb 'events'? Is this a new feature?

One time I seen 4 barb horse archers come right up to my city. I didn't understand that as they went in between 2 ai cities and straight for mine. But I didn't see any kind of "event"
                          There are random events that spawn groups of barbarian units (usually a group of 4 units) at your borders to simulate an outburst of barbarian activity. I have seen archers, spearmen, horse archers and swords IIRC.
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Other than the sadistic note that this is what actually became of some promising civs in the real world, is there any value in a guarenteed civ killer event? Six horse archers after some other civ has founded horseback riding is fine -- do what you can. But no AI will be able to withstand this unless founded on a hill and built archers exclusively rather than anything else. This is most unlikely. I just return to the menu, hit custom game, and start again.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Yes, easily dealt with in an SP game but a real bummer in an MP game where that option is not available.
                              The last time I got the archer one in a MP game though, they marched up to 2 squares from my cap, pillaged a farm and then backed off two squares and stayed there until I built the units to take them out. While it wasn't a civ ending event, it did slow me down far enough that I never regained the momentum and fell behind the other players.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X