Meanest Longest Running modern Battle Ever??? 52 turns of battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanest Longest Running modern Battle Ever??? 52 turns of battle

A few months back thebirdman & I finished probably the longest, meanest running modern age war. He got ahead of me on the PG and had much higher tech. I had a slightly smaller empire but the cities were stronger and high production capacity. he hit me with 13 marines, 46 fighters, & 11 destroyers, 21 subs, 3 aircraft carriers, & 61 SOL's in a landing on one of my cities. I only had 9 marines, 9 cavs, and SOL's, but I had apx 140 SOL's, I told you I had very high production capacity. So I kept waiting for him to keep and hold a city on my mainland and I was going to resign and give him the game. However in retaking my cities each turn he brought my tech up to his level as I kept getting advances when I retook the city. so now I had the same tech and the cities on my mainland had cities that could give me marines in 1 & 2 turns and fighters in 2 turns. so I could use the SOL's to keep destroying his landing and take back my cities. So he never could hold them. Due to my strong production capacity I could keep putting 6 to 8 new fighters on the ground each turn. Mine were always at the fight and he had to fly his to get to me. so eventually I could start making landings on him, but he drove me off too. Then paratroopers got in the game and we started wrecking each others cities. It was close on either side. I took his capitol twice he took mine once. I finally got a toe hold on 2 of his landmasses and eventually on his mainland. I could not take him though we were too evenly matched. Then I got Advanced composites offered for my next advance. So I knew it was a race. I went to all my cities and gauged the food in the graneries and took every worker off of food, but kept the ones on production and gold, and put those food workers on science and doubled my science. I stationed marines on the cites to be launched from later. The turn I got them, I launched 3 loaded with 14 marines in to the middle of his empire where he had little support and took 8 of his core cities and he could not take them back. so he conceded. I was shocked as I knew he had beat me, but wanted to hang in until he took and held a city on my mainland so he could finish me off. He couldn't keep his beachhead, so I kept playing. I wanted to make him beat me. Well he didn't, I won. Be both were shocked. He replied he could believe what had happened and said he forgot about space planes, but it was in front of him so he had to believe it.

Also it was a rubber match. We both had beaten each other once so this made it 2 for me and 1 for him. I have all the turns still for the game if someone would like to see the beginning of hostilities and the final turn.

This war lasted 52 turns, yes 52 turns, he hit me on turn 136 and conceded on turn 188. it was non-stop attacks every turn for almost 2 months of play. Some of my moves took 2 hours to do, you have to be careful as any mistep could cost the war.
    Here are some stats:

Start of the war thebirdman dancemassese
    cities 39 31
    production 11,419 9936
    gold total/usuable 4715/1609 4498/1725
    gov communism theocracy (later changed to Fascism)
    aircradt carriers 3 0
    destroyers 11 0
    marines 13 9
    fighters 45 0
    SOL's 61 140
    subs 21 4
    cavs 0 9
    musketeer 33 0
    cannons 21 5

Units lost in the fighting 722 656

yes we lost 1378 units in the fighting during 52 turns that took almost 2 months to do, just the fighting only not the play up to that time. it was the most exciting game I ever played.
    I told gramps about it and he sid others might like hearing about it.
    So is this the longest running continual battle, yes every turn, especially for modern weaponry?

I have all the turns of this still saved. If anyone would like to look at the first and last turn please ask, I will send them to you or any turn you would like to see.

Ken/dancemasseuse

Sounds like a great game Ken.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

It was. tensest game I ever played. I thought I lost all the way up to the last 3 or 4 turns and then I was only hoping I had a chance. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora View Post
        Sounds like a great game Ken.
        "

Comment

Ya gotta love them

Its a real pleasure to be involved in an event such as that.

I would of course have to be playing my 7 year old Grandson to meet the parameters.

Gramps
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

That government. Fascism.....

That's the one factor I do think did made the difference. I'm not sure, but I'm "investigating" as I also have all the turns.

If I think/believes that actually is the main reason, I have to consider my tactics in future games.
              First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Yeah, I usually go for communism, but fascism has it's charms. Especially if you need to keep your science up.

Comment

On the governments this game did not function as I would have thought. Communism is Aweful and Fascism is Exellent. So when I looked and studied the sciences for each turn what I noticed was we both basically double whatever gold we had to science; plus an amount (that was consistant each turn) above that, but the bonuses for the government were off in my opinion, but I bet I am missing one of the factors to make it come out right. Basically the communist got more science per gold than fascism did. So after doubling (say gold to science 1000, then science figure is 2,000), the additional over that was a higher percent for communism than it was for fascism.

I definately think fascism made the difference for me. I was able to keep up in advances with him it looks like. But as soon as I was offered advanced composites (space planes/marine transports) I took everyone off of food and put them to science so that I was unable to tell if there was a difference between communism / fascism on workers to science.

Hey birdman if you look at about 5 to 10 turns around turn 165 or so you can see what I am talking about on the extra it seemed communism for science that was higher than fascism was getting. Not the total amounts, but the ratios of gold added and percent of scine for it.

I swear by fascism though in a game and often go after it over mass production.

Comment

I'll only consider using fascism if pollution is on.
                    "

Comment

Why would anyone play Communism? Fascism is far better.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Why would anyone play Communism? Fascism is far better.
                        Hmmm... well.............maybe........... IF you have changed to Fasism before the real fightings have started, then maybe. But don't do it while the war is hot - specially not if you don't have "the upperhand" in the game.

But I guess I still prefer communism. I know how it works and I work with it.
                        First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

True, bird, most people also get communism long before you get fascism. I hate communism and prefer to try to not use it, but the way you guys play I am forced to do so or get even further behind in technology. Changing when things are hot is also a bad Idea, but if I thought I could get away with it I would. but in our game that might not have been a good idea it was hot every turn. There was no break in fighting and changing might have bed a bad idea, real bad idea. Ken

Comment

Working...
                          X