Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modify the tech tree?

Curious:

Can the tech tree in FreeCiv be modified without rewriting a lot of the code? That is, is it stored in some type of file that can be altered with only moderate effort?

If the tech tree can be altered, then it would probably be easy to make up any number of variation games. I'm personally think of Alpha Centauri, but I'm sure other fantasy and sci-fi scenario, or even alternate Earths, could be done.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, please direct me accordingly. I'm new to this forum, so I don't know where things may be hiding.

Thanks in advance.

-r

PS: I occasionally play FreeCiv in FreeBSD. I don't think it's as pretty as Civ II or Civ III, but the gameplay is just as good if not better, and that's more important.

I guess it is possible
    see "techs.ruleset" file
    (at least in FreeCiv-1.13.0 it' work)

There are Alpha Centaury modpack for FreeCiv
    Home of the Freeciv Alpha Centauri Porting Project

it is patched only on very old freeciv version
    I can not place all patch files from this modpacks
    but some of them has been placed and worked

Comment

Freeciv files can be edited in Wordpad. I don't think the coding is too rough, but I haven't looked at the tech tree in a while. Most of the Freeciv files are editable in Wordpad, including saved games.

Freeciv is very versatile as mod packs can be made using a text editor and a simple paint program.

Comment

Here is page about creating new rulesets for Freeciv: http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Editing_Rulesets

Comment

Modify the tech tree

I just completed the tech tree in 500BC...oh wait, Im running an 80 handicap. Does that count? ha ha

Comment

Freeciv files can be edited in Wordpad. I don't think the coding is too rough, but I haven't looked at the tech tree in a while. Most of the Freeciv files are editable in Wordpad, including saved games.

Freeciv is very versatile as mod packs can be made using a text editor and a simple paint program.
            That's very cool. Which mods would you recommend?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
            X