Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my left arm bigger and stronger than my right arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my left arm bigger and stronger than my right arm?

There's an obvious joke here, but I don't think that is the reason. I don't jerk off that many times a day. So shouldn't the body by symmetrical? What's with this discrepancy? Or maybe I'm a freak. But I doubt that, I think my body is hot. Anyways, it's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable to me at least. I doubt others would notice. BTW I'm right handed, so you'd think my right arm would be stronger. But maybe I use my right arm for more delicate things, but for brute strength I use my left.

Anyone else have one side of their body stronger than the other? Is this normal?

I'm more dexterous on some tasks with my left hand (putting on a watch, riding a bike one-handed) even though I'm right-handed (I can't write left-handed to save my life).
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; January 3, 2011, 01:15.
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
          BTW I'm right handed, so you'd think my right arm would be stronger.
          Well, if you just turn 180 degrees it's all right again.
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
            Anyone else have one side of their body stronger than the other? Is this normal?
            My right armpit is stronger than the left.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Dis, you probably jerk too much while on the computer. Mouse with the right, Mr. Happy with the left. Internet pr0n is going to make generations of future men ambidextrous.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If there really is a noticeable difference and If you really lift weights as you claim to do I would say your form is ****. You should hire a trainer or make friends with a body builder and have them spot you as you do any lift.

Comment

It is natural for you to overcompensate with your dominant arm when doing any lifting that uses both arms. My left peck is a little smaller than my right for this reason, though I am the only one that seems to notice it.

Switch to dumbells for a few weeks, that way you can compensate for your weaker side with your stonger.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Because you wank constiently.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Patroklos has it right, switch up your routine a bit. For a while in 04 I had my right arm in a cast and a sling after I broke my right hand, which is my dominant, so I had to go left handed for a long time. Antripy or however it is spelled set in and my right arm lost a ton of muscle mass. I finally did get my right arm back to where it was, but not without getting my left arm to keep up *physical therapist's fault, he worked 1 and not the other enough*. So what you should do to compensate for the uneven muscle mass is add weight to one side. It is awkward but try doing pushups with your body on uneven slopes or levels, or even with more weight on one side of your body. Do more free weights *not heavy* with your weaker arm. When they start to feel even go back to equal weight and try to not neglect one over the other. I am limited to two dumbbells right now so I am able to keep an even flow for both arms, my balance is still more on my dominant arm *now* but that is due to dominance wants to take over.
                      "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
                      "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
                        If there really is a noticeable difference and If you really lift weights as you claim to do I would say your form is ****. You should hire a trainer or make friends with a body builder and have them spot you as you do any lift.
                        It's not a huge difference. Maybe 10 pounds difference in strength capacity. 20 if I really pushed it maybe. I use the machines though, I don't use free weights. I have a bad right shoulder, and I have to be careful not to injure it. Unfortunately I think I did injure it a few days ago . It hurts like hell now. Hopefully it's nothing permanent and just a strain/sprain. I was doing so good, and starting to get some nice cuts. I'd have to have to stop now.

I think I injured it on the chest machine where you sit down, put your arms up against pads, and press your arms together (can't think of the name of that). Unfortunately I was trying to do too much, and didn't have proper form. I let my shoulders get off the pad too much. It's tough because they say you need to overload to build muscle. And one problem I had in the beginning was I wasn't pushing myself hard enough and overloading my muscles enough. Hopefully this heals sooner rather than later.

But my left arm has always seemed bigger even before I started working out. But this morning I was looking, and maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at it. Because my right bicep was looking decent this morning- and just about as good as my left. So if the angle I'm looking at my arms is different, that means my head is crooked. So I have a new problem.

Comment

A shoulder injury could easily explain why there is a size and strength difference. I would suggest talking with a sports medicine doctor about the injury and see what he says.

I think I injured it on the chest machine where you sit down, put your arms up against pads, and press your arms together

Sounds like you're talking about the pec deck. You're not supposed to go heavy on it even if you are a stud, it puts a lot of stress on your shoulder ligaments. With a shoulder injury you should probably avoid it altogether.

It's tough because they say you need to overload to build muscle.

You don't need to overload to build muscle. The most important aspects of weight lifting that a lot of people overlook are maintaining proper form as you lift (which often means lifting light until you are able to control the motion), eating properly, staying hydrated, getting enough rest (off days, let your muscles repair fully before lifting again), and sleeping regularly.

If your goal is to get big you should join a bodybuilding forum and ask for advice there.

Really truly seriously honestly you need to see a sports medicine doctor about your shoulder.

Comment

I may have to. For the time being, going to take it easy, see how it feels next week.

Comment

My left arm is stronger and the bicep is more pronounced than my right. I think it's because of several things:

My right hand is the one I write with, so mentally I reserve it for fine-tuning work, like mouse, pen, etc.

My left arm is the one I hold the steering wheel with, and it's also the one I hold the bike handlebar with when I'm doing anything else with the right arm (signalling mostly, but things like hooking myself a drink from my water bottle, etc.). From this my left arm is the "brawn" arm and my right arm is the "finesse" arm.
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X