X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [BtS] MOO2Civ

Latest addition: MOO2Civ patch4i Full Install

What is this mod about?

MOO2Civ is an attempt to recreate the MoO/MoO II/MoO III series civstyle. Originally released by NCCSavage mid-2007 as sort of a Civ-conversion of Master of Orion, based on the 2nd edition (MoO II or MOO2 for short). The mod is currently following in NCCSavage's footsteps and receives occasional help from many quarters.

So what is Master of Orion? Originally a space-based strategy game, somewhat similar to Civilization, featuring 7 races in the 1st edition, 11 in the 2nd and 16 in the 3rd.

You may or may not recall that the Fantastic Worlds expansion of Civilization 2 included a simplified MOOjr scenario. Here's some lines of my redo of that scenario:

Expand your empire by founding new colonies, seek out rival races, conquer alien worlds and then attack Orion and finally defeat the Antarans to become MASTER OF ORION.

This version greatly expands on the original MOOjr scenario by using a custom made map, adding many new units, Wonders, advances and greatly expanding the terrain, while several original units, buildings and Wonders have been edited to get a perfect Master of Orion jr feel.

The 7 races present are:

- Humans
    - Sakkra
    - Psilon
    - Klackon
    - Gnolam
    - Darloks
    - Elerians.

Aliens include several non-player races (Meklars, Silicoids, Alkari, etc.).

It featured all the races now present in MOO2Civ, on which some detailed infos are uploaded here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpo...4&postcount=20

Why make some non-player races?

Meklars and Alkari are two of my favorites after the Klackons.

Comment

The non-player races are only in the Civ2 scenario; MOO2Civ features all races present in MoO II.

Comment

How is the game in MP? A bunch of us are considering a roleplaying game (Diplo) in a non-historic setting. The current favorites are the Star Trek total conversion mod (about which we don't know much), FF and Fall from Heaven (which has MP issues).

Can you give any advice?
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

3.19 version hasn't been MP tested yet, previous versions worked fine on IP connection though, if you make sure MP versions are identical and named identical (virtually no OOS es appearing).* I'm planning a MP session for Star Trek myself (used to be fine on 3.17); don't know about FF and FfH, but both Star Trek and MOO2Civ are FF modmods, so I'm guessing FF should be OK too.

That's normal play, though. How does a Diplo game work MP wise? (Never tried that.)

*EDIT: MP playtesting has been executed on Standard/Large maps, both on the FF Flat and Spiral Galaxymapscripts.
          Last edited by JEELEN; July 4, 2009, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by JEELEN View Post
            3.19 version hasn't been MP tested yet, previous versions worked fine on IP connection though, if you make sure MP versions are identical and named identical (virtually no OOS es appearing).* I'm planning a MP session for Star Trek myself (used to be fine on 3.17); don't know about FF and FfH, but both Star Trek and MOO2Civ are FF modmods, so I'm guessing FF should be OK too.

That's normal play, though. How does a Diplo game work MP wise? (Never tried that.)

*EDIT: MP playtesting has been executed on Standard/Large maps, both on the FF Flat and Spiral Galaxymapscripts.
            Thanks for this answer I'm going to copy paste it in the thread if you don't mind.

A Diplo game is a game of well Diplomacy. (It started out with players being unhappy with limited diplomatic options in Civ2 MP but has grown into a style of play.)
            Its best described as role-play. You take normal civ. You've played it a million times. Have you ever caught yourself thinking how fun it would be if the AI acted like real people leading real countries? Well that is what we aspire to in Diplo gaming. People mostly do diplomacy in character. They also take the time to write up stories (or photoshop pics) to be posted in the story thread. It takes cunning diplomacy, good civing skills and a talent for storytelling to win a Diplo game. The winner isn't necessarily the in-game winner, we have periodic votes by players for how well people have done with their story material, how well they have done militarily and how active they have been on the international scene. You get points for your ingame score too, and you get points for things like founding religions or getting an ingame "win".

The winner is the guy with the most points at the end.

If you are interested check out one of the "History of the world (HOTW12 is the latest) or "Beyond the pit" story threads here on the Civ4 MP section of poly. I strongly recommend this since what I wrote up doesn't really do diplo justice.

But winning isn't really the point since we have a strong ethos of keeping the game fun everyone. Kills are forbidden if the player plays his turns and is active with story. Measured war is encouraged, capitulations happen but not via the in game mechanism but via a normal vassalage (so the players can cancel it later if they need to).

(Diplos can and have been played as standard MP games with weekly sessions and as Pitboss games with the speed of about 1 turn a day. )
            Last edited by Heraclitus; July 19, 2009, 18:24.
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. While it sounds hugely interesting, I don't really see how I can spent more time on Civ than I am at the moment.

BTW, I played a MP Star Trek game yesterday - as an Internet Game, not via IP - on the Star Trek Galaxy map. Went well until the host CTDed. (Will try again tonight on a smaller map.)

Comment

I'd like to ask how is balance in the ST mod? Which civs are "overpowered" (the Borg or Federation perhaps?)?

We have some amazing players and they have in the past been kinder to the lesser players by not picking overpowered civs (or should I say civs easy to play like financial ones) leaving those for the newbies.

Comment

As there are 10+ scenarios plus the basic Star Trek mod, I don't really think that applies (scenarios range from the Eugenics Wars to the Voyager era). Obviously the Borg have certain advantages over the other races/civs if you play basic Star Trek mod or Star Trek Galaxy (in which it is possible to found the Federation, giving the founding civs the advantage of playing as a Team). So perhaps the Federation and/or Borg are ideal for new players.

Comment

Thanks for all your helpfull replys. I'm going to play a few games of the mod as soon as I have the time.

PS
                    Is there a manual for this mod or a readme?
                    Last edited by Heraclitus; July 21, 2009, 15:35.

Comment

This mod? (Because Star Trek comes with a full readme.) For MOO2Civ there's a link here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpo...33&postcount=2 (short version; links to full manual/info). I haven't made a manual for MOO2Civ itself yet, as it's still very much a Work In Progress. I try to stay close to MoO II as is, but am open to ideas taken from MoO III, which is the latest version.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I just noticed I copied that link already to post #1, so I'll add the link there. That seems simpler...

EDIT2: Nevermind - did that already... Just check out the link in post #1 then. (Sorry, it's late...)
                      Last edited by JEELEN; July 21, 2009, 17:34.

Comment

MOO2

MOO3 :vomit:

Comment

MoO II was indeed great and MoO III a bit of a letdown (though it didn't make me vomit; it just looked rather static compared to MoO II - despite the excellent leaderheads).

Comment

Yes, the leaderheads were the only redeeming quality.

I think I vomited mostly because I followed the games development for over a year, then when I finally played it I realized how very much of a letdown it was.

Is this MOO2/Civ Mod of yours in the final release, or are there still some bugs being worked out?

Can't wait to play it, but I would rather wait for the final release then a beta version.

There is also alot of talk about starting a space themed diplogame, for which I think a MOO mod would be better then some of the other suggestions.

Is it MP stable?

Comment

Gameplay is stable on FF, FF Flat and Spiral Galaxymaps and all versions have been playtested on IP connection, the 3.19 patch via the Internet Games option as well. As MOO2Civ isn't my only project, a "final" release may be quite some time off. Recently a problem with the Assimilation custom game options has been uncovered, as noted on the DL page. If you're mindful of the notes there, gameplay can be quite fun! (I play it myself regularly - and not just to playtest.)

Comment

Working...
                              X