Two victories, which do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two victories, which do you prefer?

I started playing marathon (1500 turn) games, and my first two wins were rather different and left me different feelings.

The first one I had a good start, made the right strategic decisions early and won a domination victory just before turn 800. In a sense I felt I had won too easy, so even though my score was a record for me, it didn't feel as satisfying.

The second one my starting location wasn't quite as good, made an iffy decision, but managed to grab a cultural victory before India launched their spaceship, around turn 1300. More work was involved in pulling off the win so it felt more satisfying even though the score was one of my lowest.

(I know the score is somewhat arbitrary, even for comparison purposes, but I included the note of their relative high and low merely as an indicator.)

So what type of wins to people prefer, the quick crushing defeats of all who oppose your rightful rule or the longer hard fought victory against opposition that put up a good fight?
    Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
    http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Yeah, the "easy" wins are not as satisfying as the hard ones. So once I get to where I don't fear for my life, I try to hold myself back a bit to preclude a boring end-game. An easy game is not NEARLY as much fun as a nail biter!

Comment

The score algorithm is worthless. It places too much emphasis on things such as turn won, which biases certain strategies over others. The measure is supposed to be of skill, not how fast you won or whatever.

Comment

Yeah, I see the score when I win, but I doubt I could recall any of them. So yes, I put no value in the score.

My best wins are the easiest ones, but when it's close, they're more fun in the long haul. My favorite was an OCC conquest win because there were a few times were I was on the edge of being eliminated.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Easy wins several times at a level means it's time to move up. At Prince, I get an exciting game most of the time. However, I usually start falling behind further and further. In those cases, I tend to just stop playing and start a new one. Been following wodan11's advice on this forum, and am finding the middle game to be going a bit smoother.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
          X