Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medieval Pack II Beta: The Gathering (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WesW
    Barbs do not investigate huts. When they are generated, they may be Elite units, because those units have high attack strengths, which is how the units are ranked when picking from the available units as defined in risks.txt.
    If this a problem, it can be easily solved by making their enabling advance a dummy advance, way up the tech tree, like Wouter (but not Wouter...) and then making it so you are granted that dummy advance when you get the elite unit. As only one civ would have this advance, the units enabled by it would not be considered as barbarians. A bit late to implement that now perhaps, but it wouldn't be too difficult.

Paul, can you make a version of Modswapper to have more than one mod available to choose from?
    It already does doesn't it ? I'm sure I had a "normal" or "MedMod" or "citymod2" option when I tried that.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• UPDATE ALERT: Text update posted at Hexagonians site

Secure Professional Online File Sharing, Storage, Editing for professionals. We offer a fast yet easy way to deliver and receive any file size in the cloud. Begin receiving financial, tax, QuickBook, loan applications through your secure CUSTOMER UPLOAD page . Flexible Plans makes it cost effective for all businesses.

login: hexagonia
      password: hextapul

This "should" be the last update before the public release. I have changed a couple of things since I since David the file last night, but I do not plan to change enough to warrant another update.
      Therefore, this is the time to check out everything in the Great Library, and post anything that you would like to see, or that you think needs to be changed.

I played a game for about 6 hours last night (couldn't stop), and just had a blast. It seemed like the AIs were much more active, both diplomatically and militarily. I just conquered the Aztecs when I quit to go to bed. They had gotten both the Berserker/Longship and Arquebusier/Bombard Elite packages. They built a lot of Berserkers. I have integrated the Elite units into the build list lists, rather than just having them at the top of each list. This may have made the difference in the AIs building them more.
      The Greeks got the Hoplite unit, which I thought was pretty neat, and I saw one of them nosing around my territory once. Also, the Aztecs once sunk a Trireme/Coracle stack of mine with a stack of a Coracle and 2 Longships, so they made use of the Elite ships as well.

Read over the Terrain and Tileimp readme, since it has been almost totally redone. I have also made a few new wrinkles to road and railroad movement factors which will make things more interesting and realistic, I believe.

As to the Elite suggestion, I think we tried something like you suggested with the advances, and it didn't work. The slic has a lot of bugs and things that don't work like they should. This is why it has taken so long to get the mod working.

Comment

• Paul, can you make a version of Modswapper to have more than one mod available to choose from?

You can have as many mods with Modswapper as you want. Just make a different *gamefile.txt for your new mod and it should appear in Modswapper.

Comment

• I finally got the messages about the public works changing. I added the 3 lines Wouter said to (page 8 of this thread) and the messages started appearing.

Barbs do investigate huts. I don't know if I should call it investigate exactly nor do I claim to know what happens when they get them but I've definitely seen them move to the tile a hut is at and then the hut is gone. More frequent is when there are two huts close by, you investigate one and the barbs are created and land where the 2nd hut is.

I'll check out the latest update. I'm looking forward to less swamp tiles.

Comment

• Help!

I DL'd the latest update and have at least 3 problems.

When I start the game I get kicked back to windows with the following errors:

SPRITE_BOWMAN not found in sprite database

MOVIE_WONDER MED PACK II not found in wondermovie database

MM2_SLC_Chris.slc:27
            symbol unitOwner is undefined

and then a bunch of others about the SLC_Chris file relating to unitOwner

I can work around the first 2 problems but it would take me hours/days/years/never to figure out the SLIC problem. It's hard enough to figure out my own SLIC errors. I tried uncommenting the line near the top where Wouter had commented it out, but then I got other errors.

I guess I'll try bringing back the old SLC_Chris file, but may cause other problems by doing that.

Comment

• To force withdraw of civilians.....

For those of you who want to expell civilians (settlers)........ Jani....

Search through my SLIC file for the following line in "The magic art of withdrawing":

Code:
              if(!(IsCivilian(WDT_tmpunit)) && WDT_waterunit != 1) {
              And change it to:

Code:
              if(WDT_waterunit != 1) {
              WARNING: This will expell ALL civilians automatically (settlers, spies, slavers, corps, etc).

Comment

• Re: To force withdraw of civilians.....

Originally posted by Dale
                For those of you who want to expell civilians (settlers)........ Jani....
                Thanks

WARNING: This will expell ALL civilians automatically (settlers, spies, slavers, corps, etc).
                All units... damn, not good.

Actually I do not want to expell settlers automatically. I only want to expell settlers that are trying all the time to come from same city to same place on my territories. It is very good and ok to me if AI manages to get his settler secretly to my territories and manages to build city there. It is not fun but it only shows to me that AI is very clever

I think that it would be quite hard to code what I want

Maybe I'll start to build cities closer as Wes suggested. It is not possible always But in those situations I think I will have to get some early time units to block AI's settler.
                Jani

Comment

• Radical, and everyone else, I forgot to mention that you will have to use Modswapper to save and exit the original files, then save and exit the beta. You will also have to start new games, since I added the new unit to the game.

While I am here...
                  I finished up everything else for the mod last night.
                  I incorporated the Ctp1 unit sounds into the mod, so those of you who have been getting the betas will have to get this part of the mod along with the texts when the public release is posted. However, if you have the update from Hex's site, and the game works properly, then you will not need to get any of the pics or sprites again.
                  I also fixed the government messages so that the terms and colors all match.
                  I still need someone to capture the Ctp2 Marine's picture from the game, and send it to me. I also have not been able to get some of the special attack messages to work properly. You can have the exact same syntax in different messages, and sometimes it will work, and other times it won't.
                  Anyway, as soon as I can get into my site properly, I will post everything.

Comment

• Hi Wes,

I have had a chance to play a little bit with your new mod. Following are my observations. The level I was playing on was impossible.

The AIs do a good job of defending themselves. They also seem to do a very good job of building their defending stacks. I lost 2 full well organized assault stacks taking one city. It took the third stack to finally get it. Not bad for a defending AI.

The AIs don't build enough cities. I generally build more cities than they do, even with your limitations, and as a result I have much greater production capacity to build units with in a total war situation.

The AI does not seem to understand total war either. When I attacked them, after they declared war on me, I was able to build units and form stacks to begin the assault. During all that time I never saw the AI launch an attack. If it is possible, the AI should not declare war on you until it has troops in position to actually launch the attack. As it stand now, the AI declares war on me and then lets me take 10 to 12 turns to actually build up the armies I did not originally have and then it lets me attack them. Yes they defend well, but you do not declare war on somebody only for the purpose of defense.

If the AI had launched the attack with a couple of the impressive stacks they had in their cities right after they declared war on me, I would most likely have lost several or more cities. That would have put me in a position where I may have eventually fallen to the AI. At the very least it would have taken a very long time to recover and resulted in me being so far behind in the Tech race that I would never have been able to catch up to the other AIs in the game. Bottom line, the AI is still not nearly aggressive enough.

Barbarians are still causing some problems for the AIs when set on raging hoards, but the AI does appear to eventually actually take its cities back, though it may sometimes take many many turns before they end up doing so. The AIs do seem to like to send slavers to Barbarian cities and use them to add to their population back home though. That is pretty smart I think.

Over all, the game is very well done and much more interesting than it has ever been. I think Firaxis could take some pointer from you on how to do "civ specific units." That Elite concept is absolutely brilliant and in my opinion is a much better solution to making civs unique that just assigning them unique units. This way you never know what will happen to make each civ unique, but they end up being unique any way. The new city graphics are also quite nice. I still haven't had a chance to see them all, but I really like what I have seen so far.

The only real complaint I have about the whole Mod is the lack of aggression shown by the AIs once they declare war on you. A modified version of the Frenzy Mod may actually end up being needed to fix this. I would like to see somebody try to reduce the production co-efficient for unit production for the AI though first. That may result in the same improvement that Frenzy Mod does without the drawbacks involved, ie the AIs empty their cities of units. I would like to take this opportunity to point out that reducing the cost and maintenance of military units and lowering the AI's production co-efficient is exactly the tack you took with CTP 1 and it did result in a much more aggressive AI.

If a modified Frenzy Mod solution is needed, here are my suggestions. One, only make the AI go into Frenzy Mod when you have really ticked them off. Some examples would be sneak attack, heavy slaving of they AI's cities, possible decleration of way. Another suggestion is to limit the Frenzy only to the civ being offended and possibly those of any civs it may have alliances with. Finally, force the AI to leave a certain number of units in its cities. Maybe Frenzy can only use half or 2/3 of all units available to the Frenzied civ, that kind of thing.

Well you have done a great job Wes. I look forward to playing this game more. I also look forward to the promised mini updates even after the game is released. You have done great work here.

Timothy Pintello

Comment

• Wow Pintello!! That sounds absolutely awesome! I haven't had a chance to playtest the new update, but from the post you just made everything seems to be working wonderfully! The only thing I would like to see implemented in the mod that I don't think is at this point is the city expansion trigger, that actually expands a citty to more tiles, not just expanding the area of city influence.
                      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                      EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
                      AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

• I have been running a new game on impossible level with the new update. The AI actually took two of my cities and I had to make peace with him to avoid further losses. This is the most fun I have ever had in this game. Thanks Wes and others.

One small bug though:
                        I get this message several times:
                        "The guardians of our industry have succesfully twarted a foreign {unitrecord [0].name} attempting to disrupt our labor operations......

Comment

• Originally posted by Pintello
                          If the AI had launched the attack with a couple of the impressive stacks they had in their cities right after they declared war on me,
                          You said it! This is what I really do want to have in medpack.

Now your play is always like this:
                          1. build cities and defenders
                          2. You are approximately as strong as AI
                          3. You meet first, second and finally all AIs
                          4. You or AI start war.
                          5. You take first of his city.
                          6. You take many of his cities.
                          7. second war
                          8. You are the most powerful nation
                          9. ...

I think ctp2 is not challenging enough even with MedPack. I have never seen AI to take my city. I have not actually seen any good tries of capture city from AI. When I have beaten first or second AI I usually will be too powerful to other AIs and in that point game starts to be boring. It is always the same. This is the main reason why I like to start games much more than playing them to the end.

PS. Wes asked us to test this in very hard level(not the hardest but the next). I have not tried impossible. But I think that very hard should be harder than it is now and impossible should be impossible.
                          Jani

Comment

• Originally posted by janilxx

You said it! This is what I really do want to have in medpack.

Now your play is always like this:
                            1. build cities and defenders
                            2. You are approximately as strong as AI
                            3. You meet first, second and finally all AIs
                            4. You or AI start war.
                            5. You take first of his city.
                            6. You take many of his cities.
                            7. second war
                            8. You are the most powerful nation
                            9. ...

I think ctp2 is not challenging enough even with MedPack. I have never seen AI to take my city. I have not actually seen any good tries of capture city from AI. When I have beaten first or second AI I usually will be too powerful to other AIs and in that point game starts to be boring. It is always the same. This is the main reason why I like to start games much more than playing them to the end.

PS. Wes asked us to test this in very hard level(not the hardest but the next). I have not tried impossible. But I think that very hard should be harder than it is now and impossible should be impossible.
                            I agree with you that most games follow the steps you laid out. I have tried to make the game more challenging so that this formula will not always hold true. This has been a problem with all the civ games, however, and I am not sure if anyone has ever come up with a reliable way of making things harder. I think that we are getting closer, however, and perhaps we will achieve this goal in the near future.

One way to make things harder is to disband your second settler at the outset of the game. The other keys would be to make the AIs attack more, as we all know, and to set happiness improvement upkeep to such a level that keeping an empire happy while suffering any harm from too many cities is nearly impossible. This last is very difficult, since empire size is so dependent upon the map size and number of players in the game.
                            I think the mod at present gives players a good degree of replayabiliity and is almost always fun and challenging at least through the first half of the game. This is as much or more than you will get from any of the Sid games, imo.
                            And as I said, I will continue to work with every one's input to try and make the game more enjoyable for us all.

Comment

Working...
                            X