Can I mod the game to make settlers EXPENSIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I mod the game to make settlers EXPENSIVE

What I want to do is this. I want to make it so every civilisation starts with 2 settlers as well as there starting city, and every settler will cost the same as a late game wonder.

The thought is that this will both drasticly increse the defense of every city and force more fights over resources from every army as it will be really hard to get every needed resourse without conquest, thus starting more wars.

Prob is, I cant find where to modify this, I know i seen it somewhere as I seen something simmilar when i used to modify the colors of some of the countries, but now i cant find it.

Also, anyone forsee anything coming from this that I might not have thought of? would hate to go to all this trouble to find it makes things way to easy/hard

The stupid editor doesn't let me show you XML tags. Download this file and read the instructions:
    Attached Files

Comment

Be aware of the leaders with the trait that makes settlers cheaper, might be a huge advantage if they are half the cost of that high a price.
      Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
      http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Also be aware that the AI may not act as you think they might. Just because you raise the cost of the settlers doesn't mean that the AI will stop building them. It actually may have the exact opposite effect of what you are looking for. Unless you make changes to the AI, the civs will probably do what they normally do... which is keeping building cities until they run out of land, and then they consider war. With the change in settler cost, it may just mean that the initial spread of civs is slowed, and so are the wars.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think Ming is right, I don't think the AI is aware of the cost of building a settler, just the fact that it has to build one.

Comment

Yes... If there is still free land (and they have a very strange definition of free land) they will continue to build settlers.
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Yeah, they would have no problem taking 100 turns to build the settler that will create that critical city on the ice flow. Or the one that touchs your cultural border in the hope of stealing one of your squares 1000 turns down the line.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by TriMiro View Post
                The stupid editor doesn't let me show you XML tags. Download this file and read the instructions:
                You can post code by using the [code] tag, like:

edit: ok, it didn't work and it screwed up the thread. I'm sorry, it's fixed now.
                Last edited by Robert; June 18, 2009, 12:04.
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Damn, I was hoping it would keep everyone relatively equal for longer, make wars more grand and important. Thanks for the replys

I just want a game where fights over resourses happen and everyones kinda equal. I suck at civ, and I can win lowest two difficulties, but get smashed on third so im just keen on trying new things

Comment

Such a change would make the AI very vulnerable to attack. While they build a settler forever and a day, you can walk in on inadequately defended current cities and add them to your empire.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Weird... I can't see past RP's post... maybe this post will clear up my problem.
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                        You can post code by using the [code] tag, like:
                        Did that and it didn't help. I can only see the code block from your post, only when I select "quote" I see the source and the html tags.

edit by Robert Plomp: I removed my quote from your post because it breaks the thread
                        Last edited by Robert; June 19, 2009, 02:31.

Comment

Wow, how did the thread get broken?
                          First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                          Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Thanks RP... It works much better now
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Yes, I thought I was going crazy when I posted and then couldn't access part of the thread. Fixing the thread doesn't prove I'm still sane, but the less evidence of insanity, the better.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X