The Overwhelming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Overwhelming

The following is an outline (written like a story) but its to ask a question.

Shaka of Zulu has overwhelmed the eastern hemisphere, having destroyed Babylon and decimated Mali to 3 small cities. Subjugation of the island nation of Egypt. And control over the western hemisphere's Japan and Ethiopian Archipelago.

Now the Western Coalition has been split. Germany, Dutch, and myself *Mongolia* are all that is left free from Shaka's control. Stalin to our south, bordering Germany in a intensely militarized border, is another war waiting to happen.

World War I broke out in 1902 with the Zulu invasion of Mali and Egypt. At the time the Western Coalition was Mongloia, Germany, the Dutch, Japan, and Ethiopia. We entered the war and soon found ourselves against Shaka, Mali, Egypt, and shortly after the start of the war Ethiopia. Yara became a vassal state without the loss of any land, only the loss of a major battle and Babylon.

Japan fell to Shaka in a similar way, loss of a single island city and immediate subjugation. All attempts to invade the western continental mass have been thwarted by combined efforts of the Western Coalition, but with heavy losses on both sides. Stalin has allowed Shaka to harbor his troops within the safety of Russia, as no WC forces are allowed to cross the borders to attack.

Now we are in 1976, World War II has just ended 4 years after the Mongolian nuclear attacks on Babylon, Giza, and a Shaka transport fleet off of the eastern coast of Germany. The threat level is high with constant insurgency (spies) sprouting up all over the continent. Nuclear arms are being built by myself, and Germany.

That is just the outline, not the story. I just want to know how it is possible for the AI to become vassals so easily. I mean Egypt, Japan, and Ethiopia didn't fight at all. Mali was almost destroyed before it subjected, and Babylon WAS destroyed. China stayed free and neutral this whole time. Russia has stayed neutral, but has been at war with myself and Germany before.

This is a noble, epic game.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
    "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Its the power differential. Shaka's army is so grand the AI's know they cannot win, so as soon as the invasion happens they will accept capitulation. The mali war, shaka probably didnt overpower him quite as much, so it took longer (thus he lost more cities).

Build an invasion fleet, if you haven't already, and go attack some Zulu port cities. Raze them to the ground (and you will only loose 1 marine per city) and destroy his economy. Perhaps you could knock his power scale back a bit that his recent subjagations may break free.

Also if you are looking to beat on his armies through amphib invasion.... find a forested hill that you can land troops on... and drop 3 or 4 units per turn. He should loose quite a few units trying to keep that hill cleared.

But then again. You have nukes. This of course could give the same results although causing global warming that effects you.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Another little "trick" when attacking port cities is to not take the city at first, and leave a single unit left alive. The AI then usually crams as many units as he can get into the city on the next turn... Rinse and repeat for a few turns. When you actually want to land your troops later, most of his mobile army is now gone
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Nice. Me likee, Ming.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I do that trick even with landlocked cities, esp. when I have a siege tech advantage (for example, I often try to use liberalism to take steel, then I'll have cannons in my stack of maces/muskets.)
          The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

If you have a super medic, it's often best to wait for that reason as well. Push on into the city, and you end up with your stack split into two mini and vulnerable stacks, with many wounded units. If you leave the city alone, just one turn of healing will give you a completely rested and intact SOD.

Likewise, if you have a mix of move 2 and move 1 units. You can knock the city way down, then wait a turn even if you have unmoved move-1 units. Then, take the city with only move 2 units. (Assuming it's not on a hill that is.)

Comment

That's my style. (but you have to make sure the AI has expended it's mobile force.) hence waiting serves multiple purposes as already stated. But from boats you can just move your transports in and unload them regardless if units have any move points left.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                But from boats you can just move your transports in and unload them regardless if units have any move points left.
                Yep. But that doesn't heal them.

Anyway we've probably hit all sides of this.

Comment

Some good advice, I will have to try this. I never thought about the idea of forcing their mobile army to fight on my terms. Usually I dump my invasion fleet into the city as to avoid losing them to the hostile navy. I have a good sized navy now, most of which is missile cruisers and attack subs, I lost alot of transports during the initial war I had taking Egypt.
                  "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
                  "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

Losing empty transports - meh. Losing filled ones - unacceptable!
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                    X