Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone else evacuate to the Orion system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone else evacuate to the Orion system?

I remember playing MMO2 as a kid. I kind of sucked at it (I didn't even desing the ships, I think there was a autodesign function), but I had great fun and made notes of my games, I even played out pseudo SF stories in the game.

I just found one of my notes (I was something like 10), it appears I was playing a game as the "Terran Federation" in a very Wingcommander like setting on what was for me a high difficulty level.

I defeated the cat and bird people and conquered several smaler empires. Afterwards the Terran Federation entered a cold war with the lizard (Skraa or something) Empire. Their population growth was too fast. Apparently young hera was slightly xenophobic and decided that the human race needed breathing space. He started loading up the conquered races on transports and killing them in their billions.

Or relocating them to where they would optimally serve the empire as slave labour in harsh environemts. 10 year-old Hera-Hitler was very pleased to note that Humans soon composed 40% of galactic population and that all the Skraa living in the Terran Federation where eliminated.

But the huge number of freighters combined with an ailing economy soon proved the undoing of the Human realms. The Skraa where dwarfing humanity in every sense of the word. Only with great expenses could a fleet os similar size to theirs be maintained.

Soon war broke out. It was clear after just a few years that the Terran Federation was doomed. So a decison was made. The Skraa genocidal fleet would be left to do its worst. No opposition would be provided. All resources where hoarded or put into building new ships. Once the empire's population went below critical, the kid launched the fleet... it set a course for Orion.

The unknow ship was defeated. Orion was settled. The humans (who thanks to eugenics where quite intelectually gifted) soon migrated in the billions while lesser servant races where brought over to turn the system into the Federations last bastion (even Skraa slaves, apprently a few survived the genocide due to incompetence where settled in the subterranean caves to make the most of the two planets).

The fleet was to large to support, but a friendly Skraa assaults (the Orion system had in a matter of turns become the last inhabited system of the Federation) thinned our numbers. Antares attacks meanwhile helped soften up Skraa defences.

Some time later the Orion system was untouchable and the human genocidal maniacs where able to support a second stack of doom which went on to kill off as many Skraa systems as it could before it was wiped out. But buy the time it was a new fleet was built. Soon Humans had the edge in tech. Earth was recolonized as where other systems. The Skraa where on the way to destruction. Ha Ha Ha! Humans set them up the bomb and blew up their last planet. They had no chance to survive and made their time.

(I also apprently loaded the game and went for a second type of victory, instead of attacking the Skraa and recolonizing the galaxy I build the antares gate and sent the fleet there).

So anway playing the game seems like fun judging by the notes, I can't quite remember why I stopped playing and I'm tempted to actually write up a story based on the game. Also I can't help but wonder what a space diplo game would be like... so did anyone else abandon their empire in favour of Orion? It seems like a childish strategy (and I was only a child when I tried it) but it also seems fun in a role-playing sort of way.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; June 8, 2009, 13:40.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Awesome.

And hey, the strategy worked, didn't it? Sounds like an amazing come from behind victory. A MOO diplogame would be a lot of fun. I'd also love to do a Fall from Heaven diplo, but it seems the mod doesn't work with Pitboss.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
      Awesome.

And hey, the strategy worked, didn't it? Sounds like an amazing come from behind victory. A MOO diplogame would be a lot of fun. I'd also love to do a Fall from Heaven diplo, but it seems the mod doesn't work with Pitboss.
      The Orion system had all sorts of crazy bonuses. I also tried to sell as many buildings in my other systems before they got torched to buy up new ones on Orion. Also the fleet I had was big enough to defeat a SOD It just needed to hold on long enough for me to get a uber industry set up on Orion and teraform the second Orion planet so as to be able to replace them. I was still very proud (I think it was my first victory on that difficulty level).

That reminds me, is multiplayer via the internet possible with MMO2? (MMO3 sucked beyond words) Or does it need to be done via simulated lan?
      Perhaps if we found a few interested people (no uberexperts, or perhaps have the gaming gods who have spent the last 10 years learning how to beat the game with their eyes closed in less than 5 min play with penalties).

A Diplo MMO2? That would be pure win. Am I the only one slightly bored with the historical setting of diplo games? Why can't we have fantasy or SF games? (I tried to set up a Final Frontier one if you recall)

Also maybe we could play a regular Fall from Heaven MP game? (HOTW12 wasn't on pitboss and it was great fun)
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Then the connection issues drive us all crazy. But I'd be open to it. Either MOO or FFH, I'm up for something different.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
        X