Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Survive the World's Greatest Conquerors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I just double clicked on it also.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Only 1250AD on first attempt.
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

OK done. 1931 conquest. Once I got on a roll it was a piece of cake. As mentioned earlier, my strategy was build archers, promote combat until cats show, then promote drill. beeline cannon, make mass cannon while beelining rifles. Then conquer. With maoi statues I was able to make 1 cannon / turn, and they simply couldn't stand up to it. I probably lost 100 cannon though through losses.

A couple of interesting moments. Some epic battles around 100BC when the first SODs showed. You can see the spikes in the power graph (attached) when I killed a SOD.

Also I'm attaching a screenshot of about 3/4 complete. From that point on I was able to stop using cannon altogether, which was a shame as I had almost teched artillery... the fat lady would have sung at that point. But, it was moot because my max combat max drill commando morale infantry could swoop in and take a city without even bothering to besiege it first.

oh, and, 17 warlords. Somebody should be able to beat that, though, because I gave up considerable points by fighting outside the great wall.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, congrats.

Interesting to see you attached all your GGs. I settled all mine.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Wodan, what difficulty level did you use?
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i am going to try this out...are there any restrictions regarding game speed?...i am thinking about trying this game on marathon because thats the speed i play my games on...
              no more turns...

Comment

As long as you state what setting, I don't think anyone will begrudge you anything you try.
                This was for fun, and not some type of rigid contest.

Good job on the conquest win. I've only won OCC conquest games on small maps.
                I also assume there were no island cities.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                  Wodan, what difficulty level did you use?
                  Whatever he had set up. He said don't change the settings and I didn't. I didn't even look at them.

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                  Interesting to see you attached all your GGs. I settled all mine.
                  I considered it. If anything, getting CRIII cannon out of the gate was real tempting. Pros/cons. As I said, I lost a huge number of cannon. On the other hand, my warlords were my only offensive factor. I had a couple of cavalry running around but AIs had rifles so it was a losing proposition. Anyway it wouldn't have been a bad play to settle maybe 2 of them. (Making an Academy however would have been a waste as I was already making cannon 1/turn.) OTOH that would have hurt my capability to field 2 strong SODs. Skimming 2 units might not sound like a lot but there were many instances where that would have been enough to stall out an offensive. As it was I think I didn't have a single stall. (Then again I had 2 super medics which can heal almost any damage in just 1 turn even in enemy territory.)

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
                    It's pretty straightforward how to do well. This game is built for a drill army. So, basically, simply build archers, promote combat until cats show, then promote drill.
                    Why drill in particular? Not denying, just trying to fathom the reasoning. Congrats on the win!
                    Last edited by Blaupanzer; June 9, 2009, 14:42.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
                      Whatever he had set up. He said don't change the settings and I didn't. I didn't even look at them.

THe reason I asked is I copied the game to where I thought was the right place but it didn't come up when I selected the scenario option, so I started by just double clicking the save and it launched bts for me. It started and I just kept hitting next in the selection screens but when I got to difficulty level it still showed nobel and I had to change it.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
                        Why drill in particular? Not denying, just trying to fathom the reasoning. Congrats on the win!
                        Because without Drill the endless cats will wear down Combat-promoted defenders. Even though the combat-promoted units are nominally stronger, they are vulnerable to cats.

Just two or three drill IV longbows, in a forested hill with a fort, can kill an incredible number of attackers, and attacking cats are all but totally ineffective.

Conversely, in the endgame, combat/morale/commando warlords were what I valued and used to wipe out the map.

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        THe reason I asked is I copied the game to where I thought was the right place but it didn't come up when I selected the scenario option, so I started by just double clicking the save and it launched bts for me. It started and I just kept hitting next in the selection screens but when I got to difficulty level it still showed nobel and I had to change it.
                        Possible I played on noble, then. I don't think it would have changed my game that much. It would have hit me with more attackers but that wouldn't have affected by defenses any.

Comment

yeah, i doubt it would have been that different. I am impressed with the conquest non small map victory though.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You could check one of your saves to see the difficulty.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ok I looked, it was Monarch.

Just for ****s and giggles I started a new game on Immortal which is where I usually play. Ran it up through 100BC. First SODs showed up around 500BC instead of 100BC which is what happened at Monarch. OTOH I was better, too... by 100BC I had stacks of 5-7 units on each of the 4 choke points. Maint was a bit high but not too bad and I had Easter Island plus was working on Colossus so my future production and commerce income was golden. When I quit I had just gotten my first GG. Probably would be best spent on a sally unit to go snipe at some of the mini SODs too chicken to attack my choke points.

Comment

What are SODs?

Well, I just couldn't deal with the high maintenance. I had to keep enough units at the choke points, and especially since the enemies started their continuous attacks I couldn't do with less units. Therefore I couldn't speed up my research and finally got beaten by Macemen since they just eat forts for breakfast...
                                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                                X