I finally out-stacked Shaka!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally out-stacked Shaka!

I've quite often been dismayed whenever Shaka showed up at my doorstep with a stack of 20-40 units ready to kick my butt. Well this time I showed up at his domain with a stack of 390+ units. The guy didn't stand a chance.

and the first casualty was the accountant that saw the maintenance costs...
    Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
    http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Boracks View Post
      and the first casualty was the accountant that saw the maintenance costs...
      It wasn't a problem. I had a very healthy empire and had vassalized everyone on my own continent, so I could put almost all of my troops into an assault force. Even with my massive army I was out-teching everyone else. I had a hell of a time ferrying all those forces overseas though, it took me a long time. I finally ended up with a Transport convoy with about a dozen ships before I finally managed to clear up the backlog.

Comment

Which level, Willem?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
          Which level, Willem?
          Noble. Nothing fantastic I admit, but at least respectable. I only had 4% land to go for a Domination win and had my forces poised on China's borders when a UN vote came up and I ended up with a diplo win.

Comment

Overkill. I might have started my attack earlier
            Maybe with 30 units.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              Maybe with 30 units.
              See my sig line. I don't think he'd be reloading for awhile...
              Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
              http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Willem View Post
                I've quite often been dismayed whenever Shaka showed up at my doorstep with a stack of 20-40 units ready to kick my butt. Well this time I showed up at his domain with a stack of 390+ units. The guy didn't stand a chance.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Man Ive had those 300+ stacks camp on my border in some emporer games. Luckily i've been able to walk the thin ice to keep the peace long enough for nukes so far. Its really really hard to stop that many units at once... =P
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

wow, 300+ unit stacks!!!, sounds almost unbelieveable, by the time you even got to 100 units even with a healthy empire w/o cheating is going to take 20+ turns and thats just for 100 units. and no building city improvements at all during this time either, i build what is needed, always good to soften em up before the invasion, keeps them occupied while you increase your forces heh heh hehehe, lol!

Comment

and it always helps having the #2 power as your ally, muhahaha!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        Maybe with 30 units.
                        Well I would have, but I had to take over Charlemagne first. The troops I had were what was left after that conflict. Which were what I had left over after vassalizing my original continent. I simply transferred my entire military at the time over to the new continent, while updating my coastal cities with more modern units. Many of those 390 units were woefully obsolete and just used as cannon fodder, so it wasn't quite as impressive as it may sound. I still had Archers fighting alongside Infantry by the end of the game. It's amazing how many battles an Archer can win if you bring along enough siege units.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonjm8 View Post
                          wow, 300+ unit stacks!!!, sounds almost unbelieveable,...
                          Not really if you consider that I hadn't deleted any unit since the game began. It's not that hard to come up with 390 units if you keep every single one you build. I was constantly adding new ones too as my entire empire would build some units in between creating buildings. With 60+ cities, it doesn't take long to build up a sizable military if every one of those cities is contributing, if even in a small way.

Comment

so out of your 390 units, how many of them were modern?

Comment

Originally posted by brandonjm8 View Post
                              so out of your 390 units, how many of them were modern?
                              Maybe 25%. I rarely even got to use any of my Infantry, except in defence. My low level units were generally enough to take out a city after my siege units had done their thing. I would start attacking with my weakest units and work my way up. By the end of the game I still had a few Archers left standing. If they survived until level 4 they got upgraded.

I did end up splitting that stack into 3 as my game became unmanageble with that many units on a plot. It would just grind to a crawl whenever that stack was active due to all the icons displayed on the screen. Later I ended up with 5 stacks when I was planning on taking out the Chinese. Unfortunately the UN diplomatic vote came up just before I was about to attack. I only needed another 4% land to win a Domination victory but got a Diplo win instead.
                              Last edited by Willem; May 27, 2009, 13:44.

Comment

Working...
                              X