Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lords of the Ring Scenario

Hi guys,

I am designing a scenario accoring the story of JRR TOlkien: The Lords of the Ring.

I sould be able to get it all together, but I am not really good with graphics. Can anyone help me creating units???

PS: Salvius: The map you created looks great, but can you make it any bigger (OmniGod)

CU

If we're talking about the 210x210 map of middle earth... it's coming... just been realllllllllllllllllly busy and will be until friday... then practicals are over hopefully, if I pass... sorry real life takes precidence.

Rich

Comment

I had the same idea a little while ago, but gave up due to the excessive amount of SLIC I thought it needed.

There are some fantasy units (By Jerome Lux) in the download section of this site (possibly you might need to look at the ctp1 section). I think there are: Dwarfs, swordsman, dragon, elf, orc(wierd looking), demon, archer and knight.
      I also think the bandit horseman could be a good ringwraith for the early part of the journey.

Also see Harlan's LOTR scenario in the Civ2 section.

Any more (simple) units you need I might be able to help with.

Ben
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Hi guys,

It has been a while but I am actually building now.
        I do have a problem reserving an important role for the rings in the scenario. I had a few ideas:
        1) Creating city like rings, possessing these cities would give extra power/offense/defense
        2) Creating unit like rings, very slow with the same advantages. These units would never be buildable again.
        3) creating special tiles, fortification like tiles, occupying these tiles would give the advantages.

Does anyone have other ideas?

Immortal Wombat: I would not mind having a wizard like unit, eagles, tree-like units and evil orcs, and of course a hobbitan-unit, the heroes of the story

OmniGod: Did you have any chance completing the map?

Edward

Comment

Hi, its good to see another scenario going

My suggestions for the rings would be to have the elven rings as cities - Imlandris, Lorien, and possesing the cities gives victory-points, but passing through the cities gives strength, or hitpoints or something, plus heals all units there instantly, to simulate the effects of elfish life and Galadriel's cake. Also, passing through Lorien would give you the vial that can help defeat Chelob.

Units: Eagle: Is done.
          Wizard: I would use the cleric sprite, as Cleric's don't feature much...
          Hobbit, Ent, Orc : can you point me to any websites with graphics on? My art is not good.

Ben
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Immortal Wombat,

And what about the third ring that Gandalf was carrying, I can hardly create a mobile city can i, but he got it from the elven lord in the gray harbor city, maybe i can use that city for the red ring

and what about the One, all-mighty ring, a hobbitan city, or maybe i could use it for the evil-mountain in Mordor, and icould be a goal to destroy it.

Could you also help in the translation of some of the specific vocabulary, since I read the dutch version of the book

Edward

Comment

I'm getting back into the map making industry fairly soon... maybe next weekend (that's post Easter).... I have worked on the bmp for the larger map but haven't had time to finish it... I'll say in 2 Sundays it should be done.

Comment

I thought that the third ring that Gandalf had would stay with him. He would not give it up, and so if he is a powerful unit then the ring as a separate thing is not needed. It would be important to protect Gandalf then, as he "is" the same thing as the Red Ring. The one ring I think will have to be a unit.
                As the CTP2 size category "large" is unlikely to be used, you could make all units "medium", and The One-Ring "small", but let all hobbits able to carry "small" units. That way the hobbits can carry the ring, but cannot carry other units.

What translations do you need? names and places should be the same, creatures may need translating perhaps.

Ben

EDIT: I have made a Balrog sprite, but it will look rubbish when its moving, as it is unanimated. What I thought was made Moria (Khazad-dum) a valley through the mountains, and do not allow the Balrog to walk on mountains. It would be stuck in the valley.

Shall I mail you the eagle and balrog sprites ? and are war-elephants (with Harad colours) and bats any use to you?

[This message has been edited by Immortal Wombat (edited April 14, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                X