X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Medieval Pack II Beta: The Gathering

Installation and Introduction to the Medieval Pack II

To install the modpack, simply unzip the portions into the "Call to Power 2" folder. The Pack readmes are found in the Med readmes folder located within the Call to Power 2 folder. In addition to the four portions of the Medieval Pack II, you also need Paul's Modswapper, which is covered below.
    After installing the modpack, you need to install the Modswapper, which can be downloaded from my website in the Accessories section. Simply unzip it into a temporary directory, and run the setup program. After installation, you may delete the temporary folder and its contents. I would suggest keeping the modswapper zip, as well as the Med Pack graphics portions, in a permanent folder so that you can re-install the mod should something happen to the game.
    I suggest that you *not* use the option of creating a desktop shortcut to the Med Pack II. Modswapper works by first re-naming the current gamefile, newsprite and Great Library texts, to "orig-gamefile.txt", etc. Then it copies the those three texts from the mod you selected, and re-names them "gamefile.txt", etc. in place of the three original files. What is important is that you first re-load the original game files before switching to a mod. To make a long story short, you will lose your original gamefile, newsprite and Great Library texts if you do not follow this procedure. I will post copies of the original files replaced by modswapper at my site in case you lose your files. Also, I have removed the intro video from the game, so you are automatically sent to the Start screen after the game loads at start-up.

The Medieval Pack II combines the Medieval mod with customized versions of Harlan's Graphics mod and Dale's Diplomod, plus SLIC triggers from Locutus, Dale and others. (This list will certainly grow as new components are added to the modpack.)
    The Medieval Pack II adds many new units, both player-created and from Ctp1, 60 new advances, 3 new improvements and 3 new governments, as well as numerous smaller changes.
    There are a number of readmes in the Med Readmes folder, which deal with specific areas of the game or provide other types of necessary data for players.
    1)The Advances Chart is modeled on the one which accompanied the game, and is designed to be printed out as a substitute for the chart which accompanied the game.
    2)The Med Charts spreadsheet lists the stats of the units, terrains, governments, city improvements and wonders in the game, and is a crucial reference point for understanding the mod.
    3)The Triggers readme covers the workings and effects of all of the various triggers and settings made through SLIC. This readme is very important, as these triggers have huge effects on certain aspects of gameplay.
    4)The Terrain and Tile Improvements readme explains the changes made to the game in those areas.
    5)Harlan's readme covers the changes to civs, leaders and city names in the mod.
    6)The Main readme covers all of the other major changes to gameplay in the modpack.
    7)Finally, the Miscellaneous readme covers the things which do not fit in the other readmes, tells you how to print out the Advances Chart, and lists the color scheme used throughout the Med mod readmes.
    These files were written using Microsoft Word 97 and Excel 97. If you do not have Word or Excel, go to the site listed below, and download the free Word 97/2000 and Excel 2000 spreadsheet file viewers. They will allow you to read and print out the readmes. It is especially important that you are able to print out, or at least view, the Advances Chart.
    http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/Ar...viewerscvt.htm

The Med Charts spreadsheet allowed me to use the readmes for descriptions of general changes to the various parts of the game, to point out specific changes to unit abilities and Wonder effects, and to list odd changes that did not fit into any of the sheets. I believe that this approach does an excellent job of providing the user with all the info one needs to understand the modpack, without being overwhelmed with details.
    Mod-makers note: I have made notes listing most of my changes made to the const, diffdb, and texts pertaining to AI behavior. In addition, I have made notes in the newsprite.txt detailing the sprite numbers used, with notes on why some are not currently used, and my recommendations for those of you who add new units to the game for your own mods. Additionally, the Chop spreadsheet zip at my webpage contains the Gedrin creation which was used to implement and alter the settings for much of the mod.
    This modpack contains the efforts of many people, without whom it could not have been made. These people, and their specific contributions, are listed at the start of the Main readme. Please take the time to read this, and acknowledge those people either in the Apolyton forums, or through personal emails. I know that your kind words would be appreciated.
    This concludes your introduction to the Medieval Pack II. I hope you enjoy.

Wes Whitaker

Note: There are occasional pauses in the game during the AI turns which can last from 20 to 30 seconds. If you wait, they should pass and the game will continue. These pauses have not crashed the game in my short trials so far. Please report any instances where your computer does become permanently frozen.

Also, PLEASE READ THE READMES! If you don't you will be confused, and unable to properly judge the game. They don't take that long to read, and are well worth the time for the info they give.
    [This message has been edited by WesW (edited March 10, 2001).]

Wes.

Sorry to come up with this as the first reply to your Med Mod 2 beta but I am unable to install the modswapper. I have sucesfully downloaded and installed all the required files from your site but when installing the modswapper I get the following error message.

Could not open file named:
    C:\Program files\modswap\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\gamefile. txt

I click on retry but nothing, so I then click ignore and the next error message is :

Could not open file named:
    C:\Program files\modswap\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\newsprite .txt

Modswapper then tells me the setup was not complete and deletes all files it tried to install.

Any help would be welcome, I hope I have not overlooked a simple process.

Comment

Wes.

I got no problem when I instaled the Mod BUT when I start the game I got a error: Win2000 say that the program (ctp2.exe) has generated errors and the game exit. when I select orginal ctp2 in the Modswapper then the game work, but not the mod Have you tested the prog./mod. in win2000????
      Sorry about my bad engelish
      I want to play the game!!!

Comment

I apologise for my earlier post. I have found what i was doing wrong and have corrected it. Damn I'm dumb!

In your misc readme you mention being able to have new civs when revolts or barbarian takeovers of cities occur. (Maxplayers=0) However if you change this number to anything other than 0, it produces a message every few turns saying global warming has resulted in an increase in sea levels. I take it not even your mod has managed to fix this
        [This message has been edited by Ganja (edited March 07, 2001).]

Comment

For other people with the same problem as Ganja: the Modswapper must be installed in your CTP2 directory. It does say that in the setup program, but I guess you could easily miss that. But if everything works as it should work it should automatically find your CTP2 directory and put that as the default install directory.

Comment

Well, it's been a looooong time since I posted anything, and I'm bummed to make it a bug report, but.....

I did a fresh install of the game, then the patch, then the MedMod 2 pack & finally the Modswapper. I start up a fresh game (after modifying the const & map files to allow for a 125 x 250 map), finish my first turn and blamo! I've got a SLIC error that pops up a whole lot! Here's what the dialog box says:

SLIC Error

In Object DIP_Mainroutine, Function _ConsiderNewProposal: Wrong Type of Argument.

As I haven't even begun to play around with SLIC, I've got no idea what's up, other than it's related to Dale's Diplomod. Have I got something wrong with my setup, or is this a bug?

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work on this, I've been waiting very patiently for the chance to play a decently reworked CTP2!

Eric
            (Formerly known as Celegorm - a long time ago!)

Comment

Edawg,

I've been having this problem with the latest version of Diplomod, and I posted about it in the "Diplomacy mod" thread last night. It will work if you comment out ( // ) these lines in Diplomod.slc:

if(DIP_request == 7) {
              for(DIP_tmpvalue2 = 1; DIP_tmpvalue2 < DIP_NumOfPlayers; DIP_tmpvalue2 = DIP_tmpvalue2 + 1) {
              if(DIP_tmpvalue2 != player[0]) {
              ConsiderNewProposal(player[0], player[1], DIP_requestpriority, 7, DIP_tmpvalue2, ID_AIS_LOVE_AIS, ID_AIS_LOVE_AIS, ID_AIS_LOVE_AIS);
              }
              }
              }
              if(DIP_request == 8) {
              for(DIP_tmpvalue2 = 1; DIP_tmpvalue2 < DIP_NumOfPlayers; DIP_tmpvalue2 = DIP_tmpvalue2 + 1) {
              if(DIP_tmpvalue2 != player[0]) {
              ConsiderNewProposal(player[0], player[1], DIP_requestpriority, 8, DIP_tmpvalue2, ID_AIS_LOVE_AIS, ID_AIS_LOVE_AIS, ID_AIS_LOVE_AIS);
              }
              }
              }

I suppose you could delete them instead, but I'm pretty squeamish about ripping stuff out of files on a permanent basis. I haven't got a clue what's going wrong with ConsiderNewProposal, because to my untrained eye, it looks like Dale has used it in exactly the same way that he used it everywhere else in his main routine. I guess we're just going to have to wait for Dale to rescue us.

Metheglyn

Comment

UPADTE ALERT: New Diplomod zip posted.

Dale sent me a new version of his mod a few minutes ago. It adds the trigger to re-establish embassies after peace is declared, and may fix the crashes you have been experiencing. You get a pop-up message at the start of the game to let you know the mod is active.

This file is not in the standard folder structure, so you need to place it into the ctp data\default\gamedata folder manually, replacing the old file.

Btw, thanks for the info on the global warming messages. This had had me confused. The messages went away when I re-installed the game, but I didn't think to make the connection to the gamefile, with all the other things going on at the time.
                [This message has been edited by WesW (edited March 08, 2001).]

Comment

See diplomacy mod thread for discussion of the above error.

------------------
                  Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."

Comment

Are you guys having problems with the game freezing about turn 75?

I have played 2 games, and both permanently froze at that point, one game at date 1810 BC, and the other at 1780BC. On the last AI's turn, the sound of the troops' marching hangs up, and goes into an infinite loop. One time, the sound did not even stop when I used control-alt-delete to exit the game.

Btw, I want all of us to use a regular size map, with 6 players selected in the start screen. I know many of you like to play with gigantic maps, but this is not good for testing a beta, where you need average-length games to test things and see how science flows.

Comment

quote:

UPADTE ALERT: New Diplomod slc posted.

Damn you. I have waited this mod for a looooooooong time and now finally I could get it. But No! There is a link to the new diplomod slic in wes's page like "Diplomod update March 8th update"(http://apolyton.net/wes/MM2_diplomod.slc) but that fu**ing file does not exist

So I do not get mod home today(I am working now and I do not have internet connection from home).

So Wes, add that file

Jani

Comment

I am having problems installing Modswapper. I run seup.exe and nothing happens? Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by bjnod on 03-08-2001 02:50 AM
                          I am having problems installing Modswapper. I run seup.exe and nothing happens? Any ideas?

Thanks

Stupid installer? You have OS like W2k or NT and you do not have admin rights? Just guessing.
                          Jani

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by janilxx on 03-08-2001 03:25 AM
                            Stupid installer? You have OS like W2k or NT and you do not have admin rights? Just guessing.

Actually, I have win98. I rebooted my system and the setup program worked. No idea why, but happy all the same. Thanks.

Comment

Hi again bjnod. I hope you read this. Do you have the new MM2_diplomod.slc(it is not in Wes's page)?
                              Could you email it to me ? Click email icon above this message to get my email address.

Others: Sorry that I use this forum for this kind of messages but this is a real emergency situation

(I still do have a chance to get medmod home today )
                              [This message has been edited by janilxx (edited March 08, 2001).]
                              Jani

Comment

Working...
                              X