what's the highest difficulty level you've won convincingly at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the highest difficulty level you've won convincingly at

i'm not talking about some skin of your teeth victory, i'm talking about being the top dog for most of the duration.

i'm playing on noble regularly. so far i win one out out of every four or five games i play. the last game i got hammered by barbarians. that many spearmen and axemen shouldn't be just ambling about.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Right now I'm just starting to get back into the game so I suck pretty bad.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
      i'm not talking about some skin of your teeth victory, i'm talking about being the top dog for most of the duration.

i'm playing on noble regularly. so far i win one out out of every four or five games i play. the last game i got hammered by barbarians. that many spearmen and axemen shouldn't be just ambling about.
      Monarch, the game is over once I get my catapults up and running. The AI (playing Civ Gold) doesn't use Cats like they should be. I hear the BtS mod nerfed Cats which is probably good, they are overpowered in the game I'm playing. No AI city can stand against six catapults, (with a decent force along as well) and as odds are you'll lose about three of those have three in training when you go for your first city and you can continue your offensive indefinitely.

Barbarians shouldn't be allowed to get to spearmen and axes in any area that can be reasonably reached by the player. Once I get bronze/iron weapons I just take them out, usually just before the AI would have. I consider them free cities (or just plunder if they're badly placed) and experience. No archer-defended city can last against axes/swords, and unless it's built on a hill (which many are irritatingly enough) chariots can take them down easily enough. On average those cities will have three archers defending them, which means you take three chariots with flank, and three chariots with 'stars' and one more unit and you'll get them just about all the time--provided the city isn't on a hill. Then doubling that force won't guarantee success, it's usually better to wait until Axes/Horses.

Comment

Prince is my usual level, but I've played and won a bit on Monarch. I think I won a lot of OCC on Monarch. If I've not played for ages it'll be Noble.

Comment

I had a convincing win on EMP, but that is a rare rare occurance. Usually i'm lucky to win on that level..
          Go over to CFC where they brag about winning on every level. Some of it I don't believe.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Convincing wins about 1 of 10 on Prince plus some close wins, getting better. Couple of "skin of my teeth" wins on Monarch, 1 convincing, in about 3 dozen games at that level.
            Last edited by Blaupanzer; May 12, 2009, 11:55. Reason: Clarification
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I usually win Monarch games, occassionally trouncing the AI.

Emperor is seemingly a bit harder.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Ya think after all the humilating defeats at the hands of EMP AI's.

But if you listen to those guys at CFC, EMP is easy to beat. I guess we all suck here.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Why play at a level where you can win easily? That's pretty boring to me.
                  I play Emperor and am lucky to win 25%. But I enjoy this level and the challenge. When I moved up to Emperor it took a long time to win.
                  And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                    Ya think after all the humilating defeats at the hands of EMP AI's.

But if you listen to those guys at CFC, EMP is easy to beat. I guess we all suck here.
                    ...You do. Unfortunately for the guys at CFC they suck more at MP.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

SO, Krill, if you play SP, what level do you play at and what % do you win at that level?
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I've played Emperor 3 times and won all of them. (BtS beta and 3.17)

OCCs I expect to win Monarch more than 50% of the time.

For example, only time I tried a culture victory was on Monarch and that was a 3 city challenge. I won that and took out about a third of Shakas' land in war at the same time.

The last game I played (other than OCCs) I finished last April. I'm bored of SP CIV, but don't have the time or inclination to sit down and play MP (can't do that at uni cos of the sodding firewall anway). I don't play PBEMs generally because the standard of play outside the ladder is quite poor (with exceptions) when you are used to such a cut throat game.

I'm involved with the BtS demogame on CFC, and as you know I'm the game admin for the demogame here.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

*sigh* I guess as always, I have more to learn. But I do think I'm better at MP than SP, but that's probably more due to the skill level of my opponents.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Trust me. It's more fun not to know everything. When you get to the level of knowing everything, you really see the AI limitations and that takes alot of the fun out of the game.

OTOH, it helps you in MP to win more, but then you always get gangbanged somewhat vicious.

Comment

On emperor, at what point in the game to you actual catch up the AI wrt score? I know the in game score is a pretty poor metric, so if you've got a better one, use that instead?

The hole to dig out of is pretty deep.
                              The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X