Do you play random civs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you play random civs?

- or do you have a pet favourite that you can hone and perfect your style with.

In Civ 3 I tended to focus on specific civs, but in 4 I usually go random, and play the hand I'm dealt.

Once I tried all the civs and leaders, I always use random for my games.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

95% of the time random.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

In MP games, I try to always play random. It's just more fun that way.
        And since I do that in MP, I play most of my SP games that way as well. Because I want to better understand ALL the leaders/civs in case I get stuck with them in an MP game.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Always random unless I'm testing something that requires a specific leader. In MP games I think random is necessary for better games. It makes each game different. I do random in SP but I will admit that I will sometime restart if the leader is one I don't feel like playing that day.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

random 100%

prolly why I get whomped when I play MP
            First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
            Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Random about half the time. Otherwise I'll play the same leader 3 or 4 times in a row in order to figure out which strategies are best. (Darius, the Romans, and Zara Jakob are sure winners for me and I like Mansa Musa as well. I seldom pick these leaders as I want to win regularly with any of the civs/leaders.)
              Last edited by Blaupanzer; May 7, 2009, 15:31.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

When I was first reading Darius, the Romans, Zara, I'm thinking "you need to figure out which strats are best" but then I finished reading the sentence. Yes, you are correct.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
                  Random about half the time. Otherwise I'll play the same leader 3 or 4 times in a row in order to figure out which strategies are best. (Darius, the Romans, and Zara Jakob are sure winners for me and I like Mansa Musa as well. I seldom pick these leaders as I want to win regularly with any of the civs/leaders.)
                  Yeah... If I'm playing random in SP mode, and I get somebody really good like the Inca's or romans, I will usually reset because they are higher probablility wins. On the other had, I can only play Japs so many times... and I will reset if it's one of the leaders I really don't want to play. If I get stuck with them in MP, I know what I have to do already, so need to torture myself in a SP game.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

But how about the mixing up the leaders/civs option.
                    I used to do that a lot, but not much anymore. (mainly because we don't use that option in MP)
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Random, and play with the hand I've been dealt. Not always successfully but that's the 'joy' of the game.
                      Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
                      http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

I'm picking my own civ; I've been going thru all the ones that start with Mystism. I just need to win this game and also one time as the Celts and I'll be done with that.
                        (I'm skipping the Aztecs who have a UU arguably worse than the standard unit, a weak UB, and a weak traight.)

I'm thinking I'll play Darius of the Persians after the game as the Celts. After that who knows, but I'll pick the civ myself so I don't have to restart just from getting a civ I've already won as.
                        At the pace I'm going it won't be until around 2015 that I finish going thru all the civs in BTS. But if you count Vanilla & Warlords I may complete the list in 2012.

I always play random opponents.
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I mostly play random (2/3 of the time) but some times I like to pick myself (either someone who I have never played with or some of my favourites).
                          All time favourites are Hannibal and Zara.
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Usually stick to a couple of civs in SP but for MP go random these days. For SP I don't get to play too often so why hassle with civs I don't like.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

In MP if I get Zara, that usually puts a smile on my face.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X