Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft about to one-up the Wii's motion controls with...the Xbox 360?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft about to one-up the Wii's motion controls with...the Xbox 360?

Rumored Microsoft 3D Wii killer: we think we played with it

Microsoft is dealing with its own E3 rumors, including a new product that will bring motion-sensing controls to the 360 without a handheld peripheral. We saw the exact same technology at CES 2008. Better yet, Microsoft has been in talks to buy the company in question. Ars explores what could be the next big thing in gaming.

The rumors, leaked images, and speculation are only going to get worse as we move closer to E3, and now it's Microsoft's turn to bear the scrutiny of the gaming press. A report making the rounds, along with a "leaked" photo from Engadget, seems to show a type of sensor bar that will allow gamers to control their games using only their body. You don't have to hold any hardware, there is interaction with both video and sound, and the system is able to focus on the player and ignore the rest of the movement in the room. How likely is this rumor? Very. In fact, we think we already saw and demoed the technology... last year.

Microsoft is making it clear that the company will have big things in store for E3. “Microsoft is gearing up for a big presence at E3 which will completely transform how people think about home entertainment," Don Mattrick, senior vice president for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, said in a statement at the beginning of the month. European executive David Gosen also hinted that E3 this year would be "gaming changing." It seems that people are comfortable with big promises, on the record.

So what fits the description of the technology according to the leak? At CES last year we met with a company called 3DV that showed off a small Web-camera-like device that was able to detect movement and interaction in 3D space. We even played a boxing game that worked very, very well. Even more impressive was the ability to control media functions with gestures. You could swipe your way through your movies, interact with pictures, change channels, all with a small camera and your arms. Imagine a Microsoft Surface—without the Surface.

In my years of covering games I've sat through literally hundreds of briefings and tech demos at trade shows, and what impressed me about 3DV was how real the technology was. Most companies are all show and no go at trade shows, but 3DV had a camera I could pick up and look at. They had a game I could play, as well as demos of the user interface functions. It was all there, and it was all working. "We're going to be launching comfortably in the sub-$100 area," Tomer Barel, VP of Marketing and Product Management for 3DV, told us.

The 3DV camera does everything the new Microsoft rumor suggests. So is there a connection? Of course there is. In February, Reuters started talking about reports that Microsoft was buying the company, and chief among the uses for the company's ZCam were gaming and teleconferencing applications. Sound familiar?
    benbox.jpg

Every feature discussed in the Engadget report—every single one—we saw in action in January 2008, by a company that Microsoft was reported to be in talks to buy, using sub-$100 technology that was mature more than 15 months ago.

If Microsoft is going to be showing its own version of the ZCam hardware, it could be bringing motion control that, in our time spent with it, felt even better than Nintendo's. The difference is that this technology works without having to hold any peripherals, with the power of the 360 bringing high-resolution graphics and surround sound, and at a good price. You could use the hardware to pause your streaming Netflix movies, or browse the music on your 360's hard drive. The features of the ZCam brought to the 360 simply makes sense.

Or the original leak and rumor were just that, and we may be spinning our wheels. After contacting Microsoft we received the expected lack of comment. Still, the possibilities here are more than enough to get excited by.
    This technology seems far more promising than Nintendo's low-tech and imprecise infrared/accelerometer tandem.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I predicted this a while back - nice to be proven right. It's the smart move to capitalise on the success of the Wii, and if they can do motion control right...........

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
      I predicted this a while back - nice to be proven right. It's the smart move to capitalise on the success of the Wii, and if they can do motion control right...........
      Yep. I'm pretty sure you were the only person in the world to predict others would incorporate motion control into their consoles given the runaway success of the Wii.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Not the only one - just the first on these forums. About the time you were still insisting the Wii had nothing to offer.

Comment

Cite?

You're only days into your new job. Don't get caught lying now.

Comment

Everyone knows my integrity is beyond reproach. Check the older console war threads.

Comment

Your integrity does not exist. You are a frequent poster on a site with a known potential felon as owner.

Don't claim to have integrity when you do not have it. It demonstrates you do not have integrity.

Comment

You could demonstrate your integrity by finally admitting (now that MS are trying to nick Wii territory) that Nintendo's bold strategy this gen paid off, and wasn't just pure luck as you'd previously claimed.

Comment

Again you show your lack of integrity. I've long said Nintendo's Wii has been a runaway success. No one could say otherwise.

That new site has altered your sanity.

My position is the Wii is fundamentally damaging to the market in several ways, not that it has been unsuccessful to Nintendo.

Comment

You have been forced to admit its runaway success yes. But you also argued that it was luck rather than sound strategy, or do you now deny this (damaging your integrity further)?

Comment

You have been forced to admit its runaway success yes.
                      This contradicts your claim minutes ago:
                      You could demonstrate your integrity by finally admitting (now that MS are trying to nick Wii territory) that Nintendo's bold strategy this gen paid off
                      Are you a liar, sir, or are you malicious?

Comment

You have underlined your lack of integrity once and for all by cutting off my quote. The full quote is:

You could demonstrate your integrity by finally admitting (now that MS are trying to nick Wii territory) that Nintendo's bold strategy this gen paid off, and wasn't just pure luck as you'd previously claimed.
                        The part you are still dodging is that you claimed it was luck, but now do not seem willing to reiterate this claim.

Comment

You have not backed your claim where I said it was luck. Your unfounded assertions could be considered slander.

When combined with your demonstrated lack of integrity by your decision to patronize sites owned by potential felons, and your recent case of lying in this very thread, I see no choice but to banish you to the lower class of Apolyton posters as untrustworthy and meddlesome.

Please up your game. I will not be bullied by the likes of you.
                          Last edited by Asher; May 5, 2009, 13:18. Reason: firmly worded = better

Comment

Do you really deny it? As I recall you were quite adamant that Nintendo were forced down the path of differentiation and should get little credit for their success because they were lucky rather than smart.

At some point I'm going to have to go through all the old console warz and Wii threads to list the areas in which you've said silly things. But that will takes some time.

Comment

You are bullying me and stalking me. Enough is enough.

I am leaving forever to post at quartertothree. Game developers post there. Including Tom Chick.

Comment

Working...
                              X