Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving gifts

Hi guys!

Can anyone tell me if it actually helps giving gifts to other civs and if we're talking about cash...what amount would make a difference?

I usually give 1 gold as gift (which is nothing lol) and other leaders give me "thanks", but...does it actually help?

Just curious about the whole gifting system

Unless the gift you give correlates into a + positive in your relations, you're just wasting your time. A large gift (LOTS of money, a city, or several old or one current tech) will get you a diplomatic bonus.

Of course, many here consider getting a positive relation with an AI to be a waste of time. The best diplomatic relations are you having a large army.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

That's the truth. Gifting is usually a massive waste of time and resources, unless you're miles behind and need a powerful ally. In which case, you're better off starting again, unless you're close to a space or cultural victory.

Comment

You guys are thinking too short-sightedly. Gifting has strategic benefits. e.g., Whoever your closest rival is, maybe you don't want or aren't ready to go to war, maybe you're going for a CV or Diplomatic, or maybe your rival is threatening to conquer some weak AI. In all of these cases, and more, gifting units, money, happy resources, etc. to that 3rd / weak AI is often a good idea.

In addition, there are other situations as well. e.g., If you have no available resources (you've traded and, when no good trade opportunities exist, gifted them all away to weak AIs) then other, more powerful AIs can't extort them from you (and you don't suffer negative dip penalties for refusing their demands).

Comment

When I make contact with an overseas civ with my caravels, I often give them 50 gold. This does has an initial affect and sometimes makes the difference in Open Borders availability.

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post

In addition, there are other situations as well. e.g., If you have no available resources (you've traded and, when no good trade opportunities exist, gifted them all away to weak AIs) then other, more powerful AIs can't extort them from you (and you don't suffer negative dip penalties for refusing their demands).
            Yeah, I often do that as well. Giving resources away to other civs in particular usually makes them far less prone to attack you. I do try to bargain for a portion of their income at first however.
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

If you are trying to avoid a war with somebody, it's actually better to give into their demands than try to make friends with them. If they demand 150 gold and you give it to them, they can't attack you for a while... And it's not like your friends never attack you. As we have discussed in other threads, you can have a plus 20 relationship with somebody, and they can still attack you
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I often gift unneeded health resources early on to build up some + points with certain civs. This can open up other trade and diplo possiblities. Obviously when going for a diplo win it is valuable.

Comment

At what point in terms of number of gold does it actually help.
                  Giving 1 gold used to be a exploit in games of old. What's the threashold in IV?
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                    At what point in terms of number of gold does it actually help.
                    Giving 1 gold used to be a exploit in games of old. What's the threashold in IV?
                    Just did a test in my current game - epic speed at 1655AD, and it was about 400g per +1.

Comment

crap, that more than I want to give early in a game.
                      I guess I'll have to settle with gifting them resources (since tech trading is always turned off for me)
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

just so you guys know ive noticed if you give in to your closest rival or hes more powerful than you than all of his rivals will hate you for it too, they dont want to see yours and theirs rivals getting stronger either and another thing if you give in they will expect it and do it more often, you ever notice that if you dont give in they demand less and less frequently as opposed to giving in, they will come back soon for more demands especially when you discover a tech they dont have whatcha gonna do then. you ask me never trade a brand new tech unless they have an equally new for you, i always try and build the wonders first anyways before trading and vice-versa. when you are getting threats just build up your defenses and step on it, its the computer they see and know everything, they know where your units are and how strong you are, its the computer, they dont have to follow the same rules as we do, they dont need units around your empire to know what u have its the computer. chances are and this has worked for me, it will at least delay an invasion building up defenses after a threat, unless they have a massive stack outside waiting to wipe you out in that case giving in shows your weak and theyll attack anyways because of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X