No announcement yet.

Forts - What gives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note that patch 3.19 seems to fix this whole issue. (looking at the change list now....)

Comment

A rare use case that might not be self-evident to everybody: if you have a long coastline obstructed by (floating) ice, you can make an arbitrarily long canal along it with forts. The ships only require water being next to the fort; not that it's in a liquid form and accessible
      It's a lowercase L, not an uppercase I.

Comment

Originally posted by slnz View Post
        A rare use case that might not be self-evident to everybody: if you have a long coastline obstructed by (floating) ice, you can make an arbitrarily long canal along it with forts. The ships only require water being next to the fort; not that it's in a liquid form and accessible
        I think that was a bug they might have fixed in the patch. I remember seeing some discussion along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
          I think that was a bug they might have fixed in the patch. I remember seeing some discussion along those lines.
          Nope, still works. I don't think it's a bug, any more than the ability to "sail" through consecutive forts without the ice. For submarines it's all the same anyway

Comment

Nope, still works. I don't think it's a bug, any more than the ability to "sail" through consecutive forts without the ice.
            Right. Both are probably bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
              Right. Both are probably bugs.
              Well the semantics kind of make sense, if you think about it. If there would be 2 cities in adjancent squares (as in grown together), they would probably have interlocked port areas, hence making it possible to travel from one to another without going in the open waters.

All the coastal forts have ports, because ships can enter them, and a fort covers the whole square, hence making it viable that 2 adjacent forts actually form one big fort with a common port area that a ship could travel along :P What makes it confusing is the game graphics which obviously look silly and don't convey any of this

Comment

Well the semantics kind of make sense, if you think about it. If there would be 2 cities in adjancent squares (as in grown together), they would probably have interlocked port areas, hence making it possible to travel from one to another without going in the open waters.
                On a normal size map, the scale is approx. 1 tile = 500 miles.

If the improvement in question was "canal" then I would buy it. As a "fort" it's simply ridiculous.

Comment

Surely the fort/canal is a "feature"?

Actually, I've wanted a canal improvement for a long time , ever since you couldn't build cities next to each other (was that Civ II?).
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

As I recall, it's intended that tiles of fort adjoining water to be accessible to water units, but not landlocked fort tiles.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

• Another thing that bugs me is that ship goto commands will route them through ports so it's possible for a ship to end it's turn in an undefended port and be vulnerable to land attacks.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by joncnunn View Post
                        As I recall, it's intended that tiles of fort adjoining water to be accessible to water units, but not landlocked fort tiles.
                        And that leads to pretty ridiculous sights - as this hill covered in jungle separating the ocean from a small lake (size 1). The AI built a fort on it, then brought a frigate in it. The sight was pretty weird : here was this frigate, on top of a jungle covered hill ! For whatever reason, he frigate was aiming for the small lake beside ...

Comment

• That happened to me one time and I laughed maniacally because we were at war and I simply pillaged the fort to landlock those annoying ships.

Comment

• Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
                            That happened to me one time and I laughed maniacally because we were at war and I simply pillaged the fort to landlock those annoying ships.
                            You filled in the ditch (canal)?! What a nasty trick!

Comment

• That is awesome, wodan!!
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I'd have let the ship escape.
                                Only because I remember the one time where it was similar but a city instead of a fort and when I took the city and kept it. Every stinking turn you'd get the "enemy spotted near" message. After quite a few turns I stopped paying attention to it and he snuck a stack in on me since I had stopping checking out the warnings for that city.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X