No announcement yet.

The Chronicles of Ambition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>>After Sakai's disobedience of the council's orders, (The council now thought of Sakai as a traitor because they thought through his reckless actions it would focus the barbarians to focus their gaze on Iki.

? Could you perhaps correct the grammar here?

"Who are you that enter here with such finery?" *glancing at his armor.* (Tokugawa)
    "Speak or die, are you barbarian or... Reply!" *drawing and fumbling with his sword.* (Sakai)
    "I... am Masonori Fukushima of Iwagakure no Sato... I see you are in a bit of a predicament, and so am I. Help me, and I will in turn lend my aid to your cause..." (Fukushima)
    Interesting TV-style dialogue. It breaks out of the real document. Were you going for a television-drama style story?

Best,
    ~DC.

PS:
    1) Read through 12.
    2) Also, I advertised your story elsewhere, but it seems not to have attracted attention... hmm...
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Campaign for the Plains: The Battle of Shiro Nao... Part 1

In technical terms, I would say the castle is more open to falling from attack, but not so much. The Castle of Nao is located on a fortified array of hills and cliffs, overlooking the the city of Shiro Nao (being also almost totally abandoned by the residents that used to live there). The castle battlements were once well maintained and orderly, but because of the Northern army's combined attacks to control the area have left them battle scarred and dilapidated.

Other than the other reason I gave of Tokugawa immediately setting up an advance against Shiro Nao (he needed to preform more miracles), Tokugawa saw this as a perfect chance to under blow the enemy's morale and gain more allies, convincing the enemy that their retreat was of foolish cowardly nature, that they lost an important asset in controlling the region, and that in the process, the Tokugawan threat has gained new ground and new soldiers. However, Tokugawa must overcome the infamous warlord Satake Koruyi.

The plan to win was to divide the Free Japanese forces into two divisions, two seperate parts: Tokugawa's forces and Yi's forces. Tokugawa's forces (with Sakai) will take the road that avoids Shiro Nao, meeting head on into a full blown battle, meeting face to face against the enemy rear. Because alone, Tokugawa's division outnumber Satake's outer defensive rear, Satake would order his forces out of the otherwise ambush ridden town as well as culminate forces from the other sides into the line of battle. In the meantime, Yi's horsemen and lancers will seem through the city and take Satake's mass of soldiers from behind, surprising them and eliminating them before they can fully adapt and thus win the day. However, sometimes pure strength and willpower can alter even the most ingenious of plans if not considered.

And so the battle begins, Tokugawa's line marching front and center upon the road. As expected, many of Satake's units are positioned in that direction. Tokugawa and Sakai soon called on archers to fire, and fire they did. The enemy soon retaliated with their own arrows and began a charge toward them. Tokugawa then halts his men, his spear men up in the front, and orders those spear men to create a wall of spears, one after another... three rows of spear men ready to plunge into the enemy lines. Their sides were coupled with archers firing at will at the charging crowd.

And there he was, Satake appeared out of the line of troops, sharing the same fate of the rest of his charging men, spear held low, running forward. The enemy soon took this and gained morale and momentum, speeding up. Satake's likeness was something to behold if one wanted to look for a veteran. Battle scarred and intimidating with a unique spiked headpiece and armaments, wielding a heavily barbed spear that was at least 10 feet in length caused some disorder in Tokugawa's ranks as they started to step back. Aware of this happening, Tokugawa dismounted from his horse and came up to the front, grabbing an extra spear, ready to do battle. The soldiers, inspired, stayed firm and returned to their original positions.

The enemy, relieved at first that their leader's menacing appearance and boldness drove their adversaries off, were shocked to find they had came up and tried to pull back and slow down, but it was too late... they were struck by spears and soon the ground beneath Tokugawa's feet started piling. Seeing that his soldiers made no success, Satake made matters into his own hands and shredded through the spear men in his way , with them flying through the air. Tokugawa soon abandoned defensive formations and met Satake in the same way, erupting in a crowded kill or be killed match. Soon, an hour passed with little break between the stalemate, with Satake (as though he felt no physical limitations) continuously hacked and slashed the through soldier upon soldier. Tokugawa's plan started to look bleak as the enemy continued to pummel his troops, with no sign that Satake would call upon extra reinforcements, too sure of himself that he could win the battle alone even without soldiers to aid him. His manpower was certainly depleting, but his strength and skill was certainly not going awry as more hours passed... It was time Tokugawa took things in his own hands, to at least injure Satake in anyway... But was that possible?

To be Continued...
      Last edited by Guild3Master; May 21, 2009, 10:50.
      What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? (Mahatma Gandhi)

Comment

Campaign for the Plains: The Battle of Shiro Nao... Part 2

A man of miracles, Tokugawa had to be bold lest draw fire from his own people, even if it meant drawing heavy fire from the enemy. Lunging forward to face Satake, Tokugawa engages in battle. Here is an account:

"Officer of the Northern forces, you have too much wrong in your life to survive this... I challenge you!" *pointing sword* (Tokugawa)
        "Who dares challenge me? My power rivals even the most infamous of demons plaguing the Earth..." *turning around* (Satake)
        "Lord Tokugawa, god and protector of the Japanese people, that's who..." (Tokugawa)
        "God? Maybe... but can you still match against the strength and skill of my spear?! *lunging it down on Tokugawa's sword* (Satake)

Tokugawa swiftly parries the lunge. Ducking for cover, he soon slashes back, engaging in contact with the spear. Satake then retreats his hand and launches a series of quick strokes that soon knock Tokugawa's sword out of his hand and throws him into the ground; he creeps closer, point held high, and plunges at Tokugawa's heart. Tokugawa then rolls over to the side and, running, grabs his sword, and slashes at Satake's wrists, prying them open. Just then a massive influx of soldiers rushed in to finish off the remaining troops that were left, bringing Satake out of his sight. The initial strategy was to lure all (or most) of the enemy troops in early in the battle, but it was late, and there was a drastic chance of Tokugawa's line being totally routed (which was not part of the plan. Still, Tokugawa held on, rallying his men into line for a final defensive, which lasted about another. The Southern Free Japanese force has taken many casualties, 1/4 of what it once was. There would be speculation of why Yi's horsemen didn't immediately rinforce the weary, battle beaten soldiers, but it seems that they were delayed by Satake. However, one man alone couldn't stop a stampede, not even Satake, but alas Yi was too slow in reforming formations...

"God... we can't hold our lines anymore my lord..." *panting* "...we have to flee and regroup..." (Sakai)
        "Sakai...we need to hold on... remember... I'm the man of miracles..." (Tokugawa)
        "Even so, we can't have you dead; we must go... No!... we have been surrounded! *staring at the enclosed circle of enemy soldiers* (Sakai)

Just then:

"Attack! Rescue them!" *allied soldiers rush out* (Nabeshima)
        "Nabeshima, what are you doing here! Your wounds..." (Tokugawa)
        "Never mind me.." *shouting and hacking through the line of soldiers separating them* "...just go! I'll fend them off!" (Nabeshima)
        "No... you will die here..." (Tokugawa)
        "Then die I shall... for you and for Japan. I was spared earlier, maybe now this will be a good gamble... Nippon Bonsai" *charging at the enemy* (Nabeshima)
        "My lord, it isn't safe, we must go..." (Sakai)

To be Continued...
        What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? (Mahatma Gandhi)

Comment

Campaign for the Plains: "Live, and let live my lord..."

Facing the threat of his entire unit being at the brink of annihilation, Tokugawa Sakai, and his men, abandoned their positions and fled into the mountains surrounding the enemy held Shino Nao encampment with minor losses and lag thanks to Nabeshima's sacrifice. After hours and fleeing, they all seem to have fled a safe distance from the battlefield. Disheartened, remnants from Tokugawa's and Sakai's line started deserting, leaving relatively only about 100 remaining troops (they started the attack with 5000, with about 2000 coming from Yi's line). Upset and mad at his loss, Tokugawa, distancing himself with the remainder of his troops, soon began to crack:

"My men... they have deserted me abandoned me to die... even Nabeshima abandoned me to death..." *shaking and delusional from stress* (Tokugawa)
          "My lord, we can pull through this..." *reassuring* (Sakai)
          "Now wait... Sakai, why don't you abandon me to die... seems everyone else is doing it; go on, while you have the chance..." *laughing loudly, maniacally and awkwardly* (Tokugawa)
          *astonished and angry... punches Tokugawa in the face; thud from the ground* "I will never abandon you! I made an oath, and god not help me, I will follow it through and through to the end, sacrificing my life..." *expression softening* "...Don't give in now my lord, for it is only one loss. We may have lost today, but let's bury it and try again while we still live. We are all bound to defeat, for the sin of humanity wills it. However, you can make sure it doesn't prolong..." *reaching out a hand* "...Take it, live, and let live my lord." (Sakai)
          *taking hand, getting up* "Thank you Sakai, and your right. Faith and fate haven't made us true victims yet; let's regroup, set up perimeter and make defense; we must hold out for reinforcements..." (Tokugawa)

Thankfully, no enemy passer bys have spotted the ailing army. Provisions: food supplies, water, and medicine were running short, most of it captured by the enemy as they fled. And so they spent their first days foraging, and by luck, they found ample supplies of wild grains and uncontaminated water, sheltered over by kind mountains, a perfect plot of fertile land which will play into much importance later in the story. Making camp, the men made watchfu; details of the surrounding area.

One day, the second day since finding the area, they saw smoke rising from a nearby mountain. Many of the men thought that the enemy had found them, but Tokugawa doubted that theory. Since regaining his full senses and becoming the shrewd man he once was, he knew that the enemy would still have to be nursing its wounds: while the battle of Shino Nao might have been a loss, it dealt a major blow to the enemy soldiers. And again by luck, this defeat hasn't catch on to the rest of known Japan (faulty messaging). It could have been a native, and so Tokugawa sent a scout. It turned out it was, with the place smoking looking like a Zen Buddhist temple. Tokugawa and Sakai decided they were to go alone to meet this person, for the men hd already enough troubles as it is; they deserved rest.

Approaching the temple, they find Yi sitting down with an old but commanding, rigid monk. With the two travelers looking astonished (Tokugawa started drawing his sword at Yi, still thinking he abandoned him), the monk opened his mouth and said:

"Sit down lord Tokugawa... come have tea and relax. Much there is to tell you, and much there is for you to learn..."

To be Continued...
          Last edited by Guild3Master; May 26, 2009, 10:14.

Comment

Campaign for the Plains: The Flower Sermon

"Who are you?... *staring at the monk* "...And why the hell are you here?..." *glaring at Yi* "...You think you have earned the right to relax and forget troubles during this time?" (Tokugawa)
            "Yes, I think he has..." (Monk)
            "Shut your mouth! I and my men, my comrades, have suffered greatly under the strain of death invoked by the enemy.... " *mocking* "...Where was he when we needed help when the situation became bleak?! Where was he when Satake appeared and ravished my men?! Where was he when all the enemy converged on us and killed us?! I would kill you myself for his treachery if it wasn't a waste of resources!" (Tokugawa)
            *calmly* "If anything, it was you Tokugawa that lead to your defeat... ambition carries far, like the alcohol in sake, but eventually, it wears away and a strong hangover results. Yi was telling me that you wanted to cement yourself as a god..." (Monk)
            "Gods can feel pain..." (Tokugawa)
            "Yet a god does not let that overwhelm him, for he is after all, a god, with a duty in mind. Otherwise he will die, not in the physical sense, but in reputable sense... and besides, I don't believe is gods anyway..." (Monk)
            " I didn't mean to desert you, but the plan was foiled and I didn't want most of them dead..." (Yi)
            "The source of wisdom doesn't come from the work of others, or even your own... but through the feel of understanding the situation. Take this flower..." *picking it up* "...what do you see?" (Monk)

Tokugawa looks closely at the lower, looking deep, gazing , and he found the flower, though beautiful and majestic, was frail and fragile:

"I see beauty and peace, tranquility, hope... I seek to restore that in these desperate times..." (Tokugawa)
            "Yes, and I expect you not lose sight of that. Ambition and retribution, powerful, but consuming... do not lose sight of the true goal..." (Monk)
            "How can one overcome retribution..." (Sakai)
            "You see, life is suffering, this life exemplifies a perfect example, but they are caused not through nature, but through selfish human desire. That desire can be overcome, as long as one disconnects himself to it..." (Monk)
            "What is your name?" *in awe* (Sakai)
            "Saba Nagoya, and for everyone's sake, I think best to guide you through that path, for I sense dark roads ahead. I have another disciple... Tadakatsu Honda; go with Yi and meet him near Kusa...

To be Continued...

Comment

Campaign for the Plains: Blood Washes Blood...

"Oh look who's followed us here... seems that Honda has to meet us, otherwise he will have to wait..." *staring at flocks of birds moving away from a certain spot* (Yi)

And indeed Yi was right, for not far away Satake himself massed all of his remaining troops from the previous to search and destroy what remains of Tokugawa's unit; more specifically, Tokugawa himself. Sakai himself seemed puzzled by this:

"What right thinking man would garner all his remaining strength in a final thrust while leaving his main camp open for attack?" (Sakai)
              "Perhaps you should look at it in another angle... judging by attitudes from the people he fought (including your deceased officer), your people are held together in attack and defiance by one thread... you Tokugawa." (Saba)
              "That means that it doesn't matter if Satake left his stronghold unguarded... because you Tokugawa, you are worth more to him then the place he was making his dues in." (Yi)
              "Then I daresay we must flee farther..." (Sakai)
              "No, let them come... I know my will now... not to lead or to rule, but to serve, just as Nabeshima has done. I'm done with the sacrifice and the Greater Good on behalf of me... if I have to die, then I will not die as a coward or as a disgrace..." (Tokugawa)

Meeting seperate ways, Tokugawa and Sakai returned to their encampments to prep their troops, already aware of the danger. Yi sped off somewhere else, with none at the meeting (save for Saba, who might have guessed from Yi's expression), knowing where or who was he was going to. Lining from side to side, ledge to ledge full of soldiers in a relatively small but well situated area, Tokugawa knew what he must do.

Approaching the presumed battlefield, 100 to 1000, the two battle commanders spoke:

"Ready to flee and hide?" (Satake)
              "I'm tired of fleeing, of hiding behind others. You have innocent blood on your hands. I will make sure I give you a feel of your own. You may enjoy bathing in the blood of innocence, but your not innocent, and I believe you will think of your own death as most painful and grievous..." *drawing and twisting his sword* (Tokugawa)

To be Continued...

Comment

Campaign for the Plains: "One Victory, Many Losses..."

Tokugawa swiftly parries the lunge. Ducking for cover, he soon slashes back, engaging in contact with the spear. Satake then retreats and launches a series of quick strokes that soon knock Tokugawa's sword out of his hand; he creeps closer, point held high, and plunges at Tokugawa's heart. Tokugawa then rolls over to the side and, running, grabs his sword

Tokugawa then charge forward with his sword gleaming in the sun, meeting the enemy in battle, hacking slashing and ripping through the enemy lines. Satake's men, surprised that the enemy commander made the first move at the very front. In the battle of Shino Nao, Tokugawa also fought in the front, however it was the first since the skirmish of Edo that Tokugawa made such an attempt. The enemy was surprised and flinched. Seeing the opportunity, the force of about 100 soldiers charged in as well, using the sheer force of will power and morale, fighting just as hard. Satake moved forward at the approaching Japanese fighting lines, but they were not afraid of him this time. Just as Tokugawa was willing to do, so did they without hesitation and without falter, without reluctance...

Satake came and started trying cutting them down, but like a person pruning the elms, he found that these opponents had thick branches sticking to the motherland, the trunk. Lunging and throwing, soldiers weaved through the space and continued their work striking their enemy's opposition.

The enemy, regrouping itself, reorganized itself into one unit block and moved forward. Tokugawa could have fled from the scene and started using hit and run tactics, but he decided he was done with that. He had no intention of going out of this fight if he was to lose. The enemy thought him mad, and instead of firing arrows at him (which they would regret) the Northern advance instead made a stampede, spears and lances pointing at the general vicinity of Tokugawa as they all marched and galloped toward Tokugawa and the men left standing and standing still, very sure that they could strike down the meat block.

Just then, a break of light appeared through the clouds, illuminating his face, making it seem distorted, yet heavenly. Lifting his sword, he slashed though the air, and soon a great rock slide starting rolling down the landscape, engulfing the enemy troops. Walking to the ailing body of Satake, his legs and torso crushed by debris, Satake spoke his last words:

*coughing and swallowing/pausing in between lines* "...It is too late for you Tokugawa... you do not die, but your manpower and land take your place... one victory many losses; Edo has succumb to my superior's power, Iki and Iwagakure have also met that fate..." (Satake)
                "Then I have learned from my mistakes, and I promise to fix it..." (Tokugawa)
                "Your people have no hope... I found you from your devout people..." (Satake)
                "I don't care... if it comes, I shall die with them anyway. You however will not die meaningfully in battle, but rather a slow painful death as you die from bleeding; maybe there will be time for you for remorse..." *walking away* (Tokugawa)
                "You are not a god, you will die someday!" *screaming* (Satake)
                "Do I care... no. You see, I am different now than before; I do it for duty, not as a soldier of fortune, not as a god, but as a guardian..."

To be Continued...

Comment

Campaign for the Capital: The Tokugawan Avengers

A week later at the newly captured Shino Nao, Tokugawa at the head of the hall, receives a briefing. What Satake has said was certainly right: the enemy amassed a massive counterattack at the twin towns of Orwi and Ormoc, recently captured by Fukushima. The problem there was that Fukushima's forces were tied down, and in the meantime, Kusa was overwhelmed by another wave of enemy combatants. Rather than fight, the Tokugawan forces, thinking that their leader was dead, fled in panic back to Iki. Iki did not totally cover the entire gateway of the Kuzagawa pass, and so numerous peoples from the Northern side have swarmed and gathered at the foot of Edo and Iwagakure. The cities did not fall yet, but they were certainly at the brink of it.

Aside from the horrible news, good coupled it. Tadakatsu Honda and Yi Naomasa located and freed the citizens of the plains, many concentrated in concentration camps. The people of the plains were numerous, skilled and (in part to Yi) and willing to follow Tokugawa after announcing martial law be brought after the battle known between the North and the South as the Battle of the Satori Mount. Under Martial Law, Tokugawa had influence over all military as well as economic tactics. Switching immediately to wartime effort in order to save the regions of Edo, Iki, and Iwagakure (which was the most important city of all thanks to its lush and badly needed strategic and tactical resources), Tokugawa divided his forces into two sections: a fast moving horsemen division lead by the owners of the pointed horn and flame brazened helms of Honda and Yi to Fukushima's aid (in order to end the battle up there quickly) and a ground force consisting of Tokugawa and Sakai as the head to spearhead an attack on Kusa, holding positions there with the reserve occupied forces contained in Iki working up the courage to attack the remaining enemy residing in Iki.

Leaving Saba in charge to watch after Shino Nao and the rest of the plains, all designated soldiers, largely of the plains people, left to go on their tasks. One of the things lacking of Tokugawa's forces was organization; true enough, if Tokugawa fell, then his forces would collapse and everything would go bust. As a short time solution, he established Honda, Yi, and Sakai as the Tokugawan Avengers, all of whom were devout, powerful warlords, who lead every major charge and battle, but who also succeeded Tokugawa as governors which cut down on the people's dependence for a leader in an attempt for them to realize the work and the workers, not the the foreman, of building the great project to liberate Japan.

All speeding off in different directions, the plan has gone underway. The cavalry unit made way and arrived first near the designated point near Ormoc, reinforcing the ailing unit of Fukushima with new troops...

To be Continued...

Comment

I would appreciate more comments!

Comment

Hello, Apolyton Community...

Matters at firsthand: I will continue to write, though not as frequently anymore to my distaste and probably everyone else's delight in trying to catch up, I assume.... There is business to attend to relating to studies...

Secondly, please send some feedback about my work: criticism, complaints, or new ideas are perfectly acceptable, whether you have or have not read through the entire piece. It would be nice if you noted things such as grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, etc, but it would be more helpful if you focus on the general layout on flow of ideas. I think of this as more of a story and not of dialogue. I only add it to give the feel of the piece meaning. Speaking of meaning, please also comment if their is any vagueness and I will sort it out...

I don't want to feel as though I did something wrong, so please... Comment!!!

Comment

Campaign for the Capital: Battle for Ormoc (Homefront)

At post in full armour, Fukushima's thin yet bold calvary and lancer divisions held loft at the peak of Ormoc, guarded below the mountains and quarries that defined Iwagakure by a mob of enemy soldiers. Leaning forward his horse at the side in a pincer diversionary formation, allied men charges down in pride with spears. Responding to the wave, enemy soldiers fired a dash of arrows, delaying the rush. However, the strategy was not purely full confrontational force, but in a matter of distraction so Fukushima's supply wagons, cavalry, and reserves can take defensive positions behind the enemy lines, sealing off supplies and the venue for retreat. His forces greatly outweighed the enemy in both skill and number, and so it was only a matter of time before the enemy, seeing hopelessness, would flee to the safety of their fortified main base, only to get flanked by Fukushima's cavalry. So the battle continued through and through, everything being made according to plan.

He quickly routed the enemy garrison, occupying the town, though not yet suppressing the resistance just yet, when a multitude of enemy reinforcements started piling in, and the town soon embroiled in a war over control of strategic points in the streets and buildings. Carrying bows, hilt, and points, men rushed in fighting one over another. Every minute, arrows would shower on certain spots, and at others fireld commanders with privates foolishly following them lead a desperate charge toward a high kill zone to be sometimes successful, but almost always killed.

Drawing his long sword, a field commander moved at utmost fury toward an enemy controlled section the western end of the town junction, followed by fellow soldiers. The enemy, spotting them, unleashed a spike of javelins and arrows. The Commander rolls to a nearby building, breaking its door to take cover. The soldiers, most of them unfortunately, were caught and killed. The enemy, seeing the seemingly open opportunity, runs forward, only to be halted by an opposing garrison. The survivors sneak past, kill the guards around, and claim victory before they too are downed by a enemy squad moving forward. Things like this continued going on and on, with no clear stalemate, and Fukushima decided to do something desperate in a bid to take the city square...

The Tokugawan Avengers' Yi and Honda arrive to find enemy flags rolled up and flying in the breeze in the town. What exactly happened? Is this a ploy, or is this for real?

To be Continued...

Comment

The style seemed to change near the end of post 13 and in post 15. I didn't really like the shift.

>>weaving in an out,
                          weaving in and out (Post 16)

--
                          Read to 17.

>>"and probably everyone else's delight in trying to catch up, I assume.... "
                          I'm coming along... eventually.
                          Last edited by DarkCloud; June 21, 2009, 23:52.
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                          X