Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

MacTavish done as Oilers coach

Sportsnet has learned that Craig MacTavish is done after eight years as the Edmonton Oilers head coach.

At a Noon MT press conference, Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini will announce that the coaching search is on in Edmonton, after the Oilers missed the playoffs this spring for the fifth time in MacTavish's eight-year tenure.

It is believed that MacTavish stepped down from his post, and was not fired by the Oilers.

Owner Daryl Katz sent a text message late in the season to a member of the home team radio crew that stated "MacT is not going anywhere." That couldn't stop the head coach from relieving himself of the post however, after stating during his own season-ending press conference that the team was not the kind of team he liked to coach, and that it lacked size and competitiveness.

He sat Dustin Penner, Robert Nilsson and Kyle Brodziak in the press box for a meaningless final game of the season, a statement on what MacTavish thought of their games.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Who will be the new coach?

If it's Lemaire, shoot me now.
    If it's Laviolette
    I'm betting it'll be an Oiler alum. Croneyism and all that.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Maybe it will be Keenan.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Keenan's definitely gone in the likely event of a first-round exit.

Comment

"Lacked size" is a keyword for Keenan.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Disappointing, but not surprising.

Sorry to see him go, but I believe the team is only a player or two away from making the playoffs, and maybe a new coach will give a fresh start to those players that he had given up on.

Oh well. Maybe next year.

[action=Sparrowhawk][/action]
            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

I am shocked.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

And sarcastic! (?)

Comment

Yeah.

Sparrowhawk sums it up for those who think MacT is a good hockey man. Even people who like him knew it was time to move on.

Those who think somewhat less of him were growing in number and decibel levels.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Risebrough is gone in Minny. Hopefully a philosophical change comes with a new GM and coach.

The Globe and Mail Sports section provides sports news, post-game analysis, in-depth features and video on Canada's teams. Find breaking sports news on baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, golf, the Olympics and more.

The Associated Press

April 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM EDT

MINNEAPOLIS — First the coach, now the general manager.

The Minnesota Wild announced Thursday that Doug Risebrough will not return next season as general manager. The surprise move comes less than a week after coach Jacques Lemaire resigned.

That means the Wild's two architects since its inception are gone.

Owner Craig Leipold said in a statement that the search for a new GM will begin immediately. Assistant general manager Tom Lynn will take over until a replacement is hired.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Thank God.

MacT and Lemaire/Risebrough gone. Maybe there will be interesting teams in the NW next year.

Comment

Celine Dion group may buy the Habs

HAHAHAHAHAHAA

Comment

What are the views of the most recent Phoenix fiasco? It appears that:
                          1) Phoenix has declared bankruptcy;
                          2) That Jim Balsillie has made a contingent offer to buy the team (contingent on moving the team to southern ontario)
                          3) The NHL has removed "Jerry Moyes" (I don't know who that is) from positions of authority with the Coyotes and stepped in to act on their behalf

Looks like more of a circus. The first question to enter my mind is.....would Gretzky be part of a southern ontario team?

[action=Sparrowhawk][/action]
                          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Jerry Moyes is the owner of the Coyotes.

It's no wonder they can't attract new owners. The league handcuffs the owners. Can't move the team if it loses money, can't sell it to someone who offers you way over market value, can't even do **** on his team now that he's pissed Bettman off...

Comment

This is a ****ing farce.

Hockey failed in ****ing Arizona. What a shock. Move the team!
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X