No announcement yet.

The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good question. I'd say it wouldnt count, because in normal game situations a blocked shot does not count either.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Fair enough. Just curious. Should've thought of that.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Good.

New Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk is not wasting time making changes. According to a report, he has fired six-year coach Dave Tippett.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• ...and Mark Crawford is in in Dallas.

"The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• THANK GOD. No more colour by Marc
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Congrats, Slowwy! You now have the world's biggest douche as a head coach. Cheers!
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Brent Sutter is in the final stages of negotiation to be the next Flames head coach. Looks like he got permission from NJ.

Expected to be named in the very near future.

I'm thrilled about this. Bring back some defensive play!

Comment

• Yzerman, Hull lead 2009 Hall class

Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Brian Leetch and Luc Robitaille were announced as part of the 2009 Hockey Hall of Fame class on Tuesday, all receiving the honor in their first year of eligibility.

Yzerman, the longtime Red Wings captain, retired in summer 2006 with the sixth-highest point total in NHL history. His 1,755 points trail Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Gordie Howe, Ron Francis and Marcel Dionne, all of whom are in the Hall.

Yzerman also is a three-time Stanley Cup winner, and he won a gold medal with Canada in the 2002 Olympics. His trophy case includes a Lester B. Pearson Award, Conn Smythe Trophy, Selke Trophy and Masterton Trophy.

Hull scored 86 goals in 1991 and was recognized with the Hart Trophy as league MVP. Leetch earned the Conn Smythe Trophy after helping the New York Rangers to the Stanley Cup in 1994, was twice awarded the Norris Trophy as the league's top defenseman, and was rookie of the year in 1989.

"Pretty overwhelming day, to say the least ... something I've very humbled by," Leetch said during a conference call.

A player must be retired for three seasons before becoming eligible to enter the Hall of Fame. This year's induction ceremony will be Nov. 9.

New Jersey Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello will be inducted in the builders' category.

"I'm very grateful for the honor. This is a tremendous class, a special group to go in with them, as well as Lou Lamoriello," said Yzerman, who is the general manager of Team Canada as it prepares for the 2010 Vancouver Games.

It already has been announced that Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette will receive the Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award for hockey journalism. John Davidson will be given the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award for outstanding contributions as a broadcaster.
                  Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Brian Leetch and Luc Robitaille were announced as part of the 2009 class on Tuesday, all receiving the honor in their first year of eligibility.

Yay, Stevie Y, The Captain!

With Larionov that makes 4 Hall of Famers (so far) from the Red Wings which won the 2002 Stanley Cup.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• There was talk on sports radio in chicago today that Jerry Reinsdorf (managing partner of the Chicago Bulls and White Sox) is planning to buy the Phoenix franchise. Anyone know if there's any fire accompanying that smoke?
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Yes. It's all over the news here too.

Comment

• A couple of things

1. I believe that Asher had it right on the shots on goal thing-- To be a shot on goal it must be a shot that would eneter the net unless stopped by the goalie. With shots blocked by other players, they are all blocked shots and I don't think they differentiate based on how far out the shot came from or whether or not the goalie was anywhere close to being able to stop the shot absent the block

2. Brent Sutter !! He had to be the premier coaching candidate out there and with all the connections there is no shock the Flames nabbed him. This is yet another move by D Sutter that looks very good at the outset-- I actually think B Sutter should be a great coach and am excited at the prospect of a coach that will stress defence and also (I hope) not hesitate to cut back on the so called "star"s ice time when they are having a bad night. I HATED the nights when the Flames trailed largely due to Iggy being MIA yet he kept getting put out there. On some of those nights the Flames 3rd and 4th lines were really rolling and some additional minutes for them was more than warranted
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I am unsure if hiring Brent helps or hurts Darrel with respect to myassessment that he MUST succeed or die this year. This looks like a good move so he has done all that a GM can to acquire a good coach. So if the season goes south , is it the GM's fault??

Howevere this team is now even prominently displaying the "Sutter" brand. If the team disappoints AGAIN, with all the high expectations having Brent will bring, I don't know how he rides that out-- I think they either have to 1. dominate in the regular season OR 2. win at least two playoff rounds for Sutter to survive. An early playoff esit due to injuries or a hot goalie may get excused if the reg season is stellar while any bad year gets excused as long as they make the playoffs and then make a run
                          Last edited by Flubber; June 27, 2009, 12:16.
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Single malt?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• The Leafs drafted a Muslim player 7th overall.

Not too many of those in the league.

Diversity

"It's been a long-term goal for me, playing in the National Hockey League," Kadri told TSN at the annual NHL scouting combine. "I still got a lot of work to do, but it's good to get the recognition and it's nice."

And Kadri's background is as unique as his skill set. He's an individual of Lebanese descent and is also a practicing Muslim - something he was asked about by most of the 24 teams who interviewed him.

"(It was) specifically fasting," said Kadri with a smile. "Usually you go from sunrise to sunset, you have to fast throughout the day. They asked about that, but I told them not to worry about it too much - just draft me!"

Also, Pronger to Philly. Fitting.
                              Last edited by Asher; June 26, 2009, 23:49.

Comment

• Flames have nabbed exclusive negotiating rights with Bouwmeester in exchange for negotiating rights with Leopold and the 3rd round pick we nabbed for trading down 3 spots last night.

Not sure how he'd fit in the cap space...

Comment

Working...
                                X