No announcement yet.

The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver is so not a hockey city...the weather network interviews a random guy on the street, who turns out to be Roberto Luongo, and no one notices.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post

With all respect to King and Sutter, all I can say is "horse turds". of course they nice things now >....

If the Flames for instance did not make the playoffs this year I just do not see how they keep Sutter as GM and coach. I think 4 first round exits and a playoff miss would be enough that he would have to go no matter what his contract is or says. Even a first round exit may not be enough. I don't know exactly how well the Flames have to do to keep Sutter but I think there has to be something that one can point to as a success.

I actually think greater success will happen. If even just Kipper can improve his play one notch (and Asher even you agree he has underperformed), that alone would bring the team up over a hundred points even if the rest of the team performed the same. Most of the core is absolutely back and I don't see losing a bertuzzi as hurting the team at all. I loved his skills at times as he made "did you see THAT moves" but far too often he took bad hooking penalties and he hardly ever hit. I will miss cammaleri-- Sutter is making noises about keeping him but I cannot see where he has the budget.

There are a number of promising young players that saw time in the bigs this year and I expect a few of them back as regulars.

Overall the team looks pretty solid -- I'm sure there will be a few tweaks but they should enter this season being seen as slightly stronger than last year. If Sutter can instill a belief in team defence, the Flames could be a dominant type team that pushes clearly into the upper echelon --

Oh and note to Sutter-- get or have a back-up that can actually play and then play him- There is no evidence that Kipper playing 70+ games leads to better play by him!!!!
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Nieuwendyk to be the new Dallas GM...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Rumors that the Wings are going to sign Hossa to a long term deal, like Mule and Z, something like 7-10 years...

How is Holland going to fit that under the cap?
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
            Rumors that the Wings are going to sign Hossa to a long term deal, like Mule and Z, something like 7-10 years...

They were working on deals with Hossa and Franzen during the season. Franzen signed first, so Hossa had to wait till after the season.

How is Holland going to fit that under the cap?

Some players will have to go. I don't know about their contract situations/cap hits, but just off the top of my head, people like Hudler, Kopecky, Chelios (well, Cheli wasn't going to be back in any case, IMO). Would he have to look at longtime Wings Maltby & Draper? Would we see anybody retire?
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Cheli should retire. Whether or not he will is the question. He certainly won't be back with the Wings.

Draper, Maltby, and Holmstrom all could retire as well; if they do come back, it will no doubt be in a drastically reduced role, sort of a mentor/player-coach for the youngins (Helm, Leino, Abdelkader).

I think Lidstrom will probably retire after next season.

I wouldn't mind letting go of Samuelsson; I'd like to keep Hudler if at all possible, though.

Comment

• Cheli said he wants to play next year, so I wasn't putting him in the retirement category.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• He is also very cheap. He's playing for not much more than entry level for a good prospect.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• But he doesn't play. Like, at all. Yeah, he's cheap; his cap hit is equal to Darren Helm's (for example). Who would you rather have?

Don't sign him, sign Kopecky again. Cost will be about the same, but at least they'll have a body out on the ice.

Apparently, it would be no help to the Wings if Draper retires, as he signed his contract after he turned 35. According to the CBA, such contracts still count against the cap.
                    This also applies to Lidstrom and Osgood. Draper and Ozzy are signed through '11, Lidstrom through '10.
                    Fun little tool: www.capgeek.com

Comment

• Even if Hossa signs for the longterm, and his cap hit is only ~$5 or so, I can't figure a way to stay under the cap, even if they let Hudler and Sammy go and Homer retires.

Someone is gonna get traded for picks and prospects.

Comment

• Brent Sutter is quitting the Devils today: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281325

Chances are very good he'll be the next Flames coach. For a lot of reasons:
                        - His brother is the GM of the Flames
                        - He owns the Red Deer Rebels WHL team just north of Calgary
                        - He owns a ranch in Red Deer, north of Calgary
                        - His family, immediate and extended, lives in Calgary or the surrounding area
                        - Daryl Sutter is looking for a coach that'll bring more of a defensive aspect to the game than Keenan did
                        - His nephew is a Flames prospect and he had previously coached him in Red Deer (Brett Sutter)

The only catch is he's got a year left on his contract. He needs Lamoriello's blessing to coach the Flames, and if not he's got to wait a year to coach in the NHL.

Comment

• I think that'd be a good pickup for the Flames; what's your opinion, Ash?

We might hear about the Ballisie (or however you spell it) and the Coyotes today... most think he'll get smacked down, but, oh please, oh please, let him win and move that team to Hamilton or Winnipeg or ****ing anywhere but the goddamned desert...

Comment

• I think it's a great fit. I've cried with the Flames' defensive play lately, and they need a competent coach...and Brent Sutter is a competent coach.

He did an awesome job with the Red Deer Rebels (many credit his coaching for Phaneuf's phenomenal development in the WHL), the Canadian World Jr teams, and even NJ (97-56-11).

Comment

• Dany Heatley asks for a trade out of Ottawa: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281356

Comment

• Another statistical minutae question for my Canuck comrades.

When, as last night, a skater stops a shot (or several! ) from going into an open net, is a shot on goal recorded with the goalie getting credit for a save he didn't make? Or is there no official shot on goal?

Comment

Working...
                                X