No announcement yet.

The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiled would be one word for the complete ****-up you've made of the Saddledome.

Developmentally challenged would be a better phrase.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

BTW, the campaign to replace the Sore is underway, and retarded design which I've previously mentioned is the major reasons why.

'Dome saddles up big acts

'Dome Turns 25 -- - - -

By The Calgary HeraldOctober 13, 2008

'Dome Turns 25

This week, as the 'Dome turns 25, Calgary is a cosmopolitan centre of one million, and it's often been suggested both the city and entertainers have outgrown the 'Dome.

Calgary in recent years has been passed over by major touring acts, largely because of the building's limitations. Last year, a Tim McGraw/Faith Hill double bill and a Justin Timberlake concert went to Edmonton instead of Calgary. The problem was both acts perform in the centre of the arenas they play in, which required the hanging of tons of lights, speakers and special equipment from the roof. The saddle-shaped 'Dome roof, which dips in the middle, was unable to sustain such massive rigs.

"We increasingly miss world-class concerts because the ('Dome's) structure is not strong enough to support some of the touring shows," says King. "That in itself is not a reason to build a new building, but it's among a group of things that this aging structure causes us problems with."

Washroom capacity, pedestrian mobility and amenities are other areas that King would like to see updated. As concerts go, the building's acoustics could be improved upon as well, he says. "Acoustically, this building is . . . adequate. It's not great," he says.

For the past couple years, plans have been underway to replace the Saddledome with a new venue in 2014, when the 'Dome's lease is up. But King stresses that, at this point, nothing is concrete.

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

World-class concerts need not have massive displays in the centre. Tim McGraw/Faith Hill and Justin Timberlake? Sounds like this Saddledome feature is ****ing useful.

And I'm sure I don't need to explain this to you. It takes a LONG time for arenas to get built (look at Nassau). The Saddledome has a good decade or more of life left in it, they're just starting the lobbying now because that is how the game works. They're also putting in their "ME TOO" card because Edmonton is going to need a new arena very soon, and they're going to need government help. Calgary's just making sure everybody gets money out of it.

We all know this...the Saddledome is fine. Rexall genuinely needs a new arena ASAP.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Windsor Star offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Major concerts bypass Calgary
          Heath McCoy Calgary Herald, Calgary Herald
          Published: Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Madonna, Spears latest to skip 'Dome

class artists who have opted to pass on Calgary concerts due at least in part to structural inadequacies at Pengrowth Saddledome.

The Herald has learned that Madonna's management was looking at booking the Material Girl for dates in both Calgary and Edmonton early next year but they ultimately backed out of Alberta altogether.

It was also announced Monday that Britney Spears will be performing in the round at Edmonton's Rexall Place (on April 6), while Calgary will go Britney-less.

Spears' management was looking at booking a Calgary date within days of the Edmonton gig, but ultimately her stage show was just too massive for the 'Dome.

"It barely fit into our (arena)," said a source from Rexall Place who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "Rexall is built like an egg and you could hang your house from our roof."

An ongoing concern regarding the 'Dome's saddle-shaped roof, which dips in the middle, was said to be a factor in both decisions.

Due to the 'Dome's dip, the building has been unable to host a number of major artists in recent years who perform in the centre of the arenas they play in.

Performing "in the round," as this setup is called, requires that the acts hang tons of lights, speakers and special equipment from the middle of the ceiling.

Because of its unique architectural structure, the Saddledome's roof has increasingly been unable to sustain some of the more massive rigs found in modern concert tours.

While the 'Dome has attracted some of the biggest acts in the world over the years - including the Rolling Stones, U2 and Bruce Springsteen - Calgary has recently missed out on a number of top shows. Among them are Justin Timberlake, Beyonce and a double bill featuring Tim McGraw and Faith Hill - all of whom performed in Edmonton, instead. But even though Rexall Place will occasionally get shows that bypass the 'Dome, the Rexall insider stresses that often major touring acts are more attracted to Alberta when they can play both Calgary and Edmonton.

"If there's a guy in New York or L.A. trying to route a show and he's looking at a map, it doesn't take a Grade 10 geography student to figure out that's it's two days worth of travel to get to Edmonton and then there's at least a day off between Edmonton and Vancouver," says the Rexall source. "If (the artist) can do back to back shows with Calgary, that makes things a lot more lucrative for the performer."

For Madonna, when plans for Calgary fell through, she backed out of Alberta altogether rather than opting to play in Edmonton alone.

Ken King, president of the Calgary Flames (the organization that manages the 'Dome), said Monday that the arena's roof and its weight restrictions was indeed a "prohibitive" factor when negotiations were on the table for bringing both Madonna and Spears to town.

This hits home with King, as he's spearheaded tentative plans to replace the 'Dome with a new venue in 2014 when the building's lease is up.

Still, King stresses that the roof wasn't the only factor when it comes to Madonna and Britney passing on Calgary. "In Britney's case . . . we had date challenges as well," King says. "It would be incorrect to say it was only cancelled due to weight (restrictions). There's always been a number of factors which determine tours. But, in the case of these two, if they had overcome all the other factors, weight would have been an issue .

"I don't want someone to think . . . ‘You mean we can get Britney Spears and Madonna if we have a new building?' That (by itself is) not a good enough reason to get a new building . . . . But it's increasingly apparent that with all the major tours (the 'Dome is) going to have challenges in (attracting) them unless we make major adjustments."

Calgary might also have lost two Metallica shows hitting the 'Dome this week on Thursday and Friday nights. In the heavy metal band's other shows across North America they are playing in the round. To accommodate Calgary, Metallica pared down some of its stage show and playing at one end of the arena, rather than in the centre.

"Ultimately (when the 'Dome was built), people were making hockey decisions and decisions based on cosmetics as opposed to practicality," says the Rexall insider.

Now, 25 years after the arena was built, those decisions are effecting Calgary's concert scene.

hmccoy@theherald.canwest.com
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)

Comment

Madonna, Spears latest to skip 'Dome

Again, where is the problem? It's becoming increasingly apparent that the only people this deters are no-talent lipsyncing types who rely on monstrously overcomplex sets to put on their show. Good riddance.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Let's play Devil's Advocate, and say Balsillie manages to turn the Phoenix Coyotes into the Hamilton-Kitchener-Waterloo-London Blackberries.

What would the divisional realignment look like? It would have to be pretty radical. The simplest move would be Vancouver to the Pacific, St. Louis to the Northwest, and the new Ontario team to the Central. On the other hand, they could do something much more radical and create a Greater Ontario division, with all three Ontario teams plus Buffalo and Detroit, plus a total reshuffling of all the other divisions.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Bankruptcy court ruling today.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

While it will be interesting to see how this fiasco plays out, there's no chance in hell Balsilie gets this team in Canada. I just don't get the guy. Full marks for wanting another team up here, and I think it would work from an economic perspective, but he seems hell-bent on getting not only the league but all the other owners to hate him.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I'm not sure the other owners would hate getting an extra $80M.

He has had support of the owners in the past.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Except for two particular owners.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Except for two particular owners.
                        Yes, two in particular would not be pleased.

The Leafs would love to be able to continue providing a crap product with no local competition and Buffalo is just....Buffalo.

Comment

I don't personally care what happens (I switched my allegiance to junior hockey years ago) but I would like to see Bettman out of a job by the time this is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                            I don't personally care what happens (I switched my allegiance to junior hockey years ago) but I would like to see Bettman out of a job by the time this is over.
                            I wouldn't blame you, given the choices between the London Knights, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Buffalo Sabres...

Comment

I actually grew up in Peterborough watching the Petes. Junior franchises don't come much better than that. The London Knights have been very entertaining the last few years now that the Hunter brothers are in charge.

Comment

Something tells me whatever support he had among owners might be wearing thin. I don't doubt that there are many owners who think that a relocation is a good idea, but Balsilie's tactics aren't winning him many friends.
                                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                                X