No announcement yet.

The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come to think of it... shouldn't the Devils or the Islanders get moved? Even with Brodeur and all the success they've had, the Devils can't fill their arena. And the Islanders, well... the team sucks, the arena is a ****ing DMZ, and they have no fans.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The new Nashville ownership has been quiet as of late (or at least there have been no proclamations of "we're losing money hand over fist/we're selling the team/we're moving to X") so I assume things are decently okay for them so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        If we're talking metro areas, K-W is a bit smaller than Winnipeg and Quebec City, and barely bigger than London, which is further away from the Leafs/Sabres fan base. (Hell, they aren't even that much bigger than Halifax or Victoria.)
        The whole K-W/Hamilton thing is that they're in the middle of big population areas, so it's not just a matter of the metro pops. The Golden Horseshoe (eastern Toronto suburbs to Buffalo, extending out to K-W) has over 8 million people, with almost every single one of them rabid hockey fans. Though as I've said before, I think Hamilton is a much better location than K-W. London is probably too far removed, although they practically draw NHL-sized crowds for their OHL team.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

If we're talking metro areas, K-W is a bit smaller than Winnipeg and Quebec City, and barely bigger than London, which is further away from the Leafs/Sabres fan base. (Hell, they aren't even that much bigger than Halifax or Victoria.)

Even Omaha and Tulsa have bigger populations than the above listed Canadian cities, and they would let Bettman to continue to dabble in new U.S. markets. They might even do rather well, being the only game in town, similar to the Jackets. The Omaha market, especially, may do well, as they have a intermittantly successful college hockey team there that draws a lot of fans.

I can't see why a US Pacific Northwest team wouldn't work better, though. Both Seattle and Portland are bigger, are economically prosperous (comparatively), and would undoubtedly love a new team, as Portland only has an NBA squad, and Seattle just had their NBA team skip town.

There's ~7 million or so Canadians within an hour's drive of Hamilton. Many would say they have been starved for an NHL team for 40 years.

At any rate, the farther you go from Toronto, the lower the population. The proponents want you to forget metro area when in comes to Southern Ontario. They insist that people will drive 150 km on a regular basis in December, January, February... in Canada... for NHL hockey. Some of them need to explain the Ottawa team nearly failing when built in a far-flung suburb of a marginal metro area with an immediate freeway link.

The bottom line is that the forces that are in revolt over the BoG and Bettman's leadership of the NHL, Southern Expansion and 'National Footprint' in the US completely ignore the fact that the NHL in Canada was very close to gone from everywhere but Toronto and Montreal as little as 10 years ago. Even Montreal could not find local buyers when Molson's wanted out. They got lucky by finding a foreign buyer who wasn't a total moron, initially.

Seattle or Portland would be interesting, and good from the US TV market POV, but there needs to be a facility. It is unlikely an NHL team on it's own could justify the expense. I've tried to figure how Edmonton could do a new complex based on private only financing. I don't see it. Not enough people. At a minimum there would have to be tax concessions.

Luckily, Calgary is also in need of a new barn. The geniuses who did the Saddlesore neglected the consideration that modern shows need a higher roof. So they merrily blew millions on an arena that larger shows can't be produced in. But it looks good with flames imposed. I'm thinking the province will pony up, or compel the cities to make allowances for, new complexes. probably a bit of both.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Calgary does not need a new stadium. It's in outstanding shape and the roof argument is nonsense.

The acoustics in the 'dome are phenomenal. By far, the best arena I've been to concerts in.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Come to think of it... shouldn't the Devils or the Islanders get moved? Even with Brodeur and all the success they've had, the Devils can't fill their arena. And the Islanders, well... the team sucks, the arena is a ****ing DMZ, and they have no fans.

The above mentioned cable deals keep those teams operating. Wang is getting ~30 million a year for the Islanders, IIRC.

The NHL is trying to be consistent when it comes to markets. If there is a building suitable and ownership willing, the league will resist teams moving. See Pittsburgh and Nashville recently. I can see why. It is bad medicine to break faith with the fans.

The Devils have a brand new building, and the owners have made no noises that I've heard.

Wang is the interesting case. He wants the Isles to stay where they are. He wants to build a new building. The local politicians have delayed, delayed, delayed his project. It's like they want the team to move. It is seeming more likely the Isles will move, but the league will not like it one bit.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                Calgary does not need a new stadium. It's in outstanding shape and the roof argument is nonsense.

The acoustics in the 'dome are phenomenal. By far, the best arena I've been to concerts in.

It's even built with the wrong aspect.

They could have built it so the money shots had the mountains in the background. Instead they oriented it so the shot over the saddle is the heart of Mordor.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Ain't nothing wrong with it.

It's a great arena for hockey and concerts, which is 99% of its use. It's unique and memorable, which is more than I can say about, say, Rexall Place:

(Speaking of Mordor...)
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The never seen shot. It is from one end.

The often seen shot.

Who the **** cares? A burg in Canada has managed to reach where St Louis was 40 years ago. Whoo hoo!

Meanwhile, let's ignore something that just about nobody else has.

I shouldn't be surprised that Calgarians managed to **** it up.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

I think that's a cool view, too.

I can't believe someone with Rexall Place in their city is trying to troll about stadiums.

Comment

Northlands was not intended as a signature building for the city, and even then we screwed it up.

It was built in a low rent / industrial area, likely because the land was cheap.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

The Saddledome lands were hardly a catch...

Comment

Now, why would Calgarians think a few dinky towers should be the focus of their signature building when they have vistas most people would kill for out the front window?

Maybe a bit too but H2S inhaled?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              The Saddledome lands were hardly a catch...

90 degrees, Luke.

Feel the force.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                                Now, why would Calgarians think a few dinky towers should be the focus of their signature building when they have vistas most people would kill for out the front window?

Maybe a bit too but H2S inhaled?
                                I've never, ever heard anyone complain about it before. I find it utterly bizarre you take issue with it, as the cityscape/saddledome pics are very famous as-is. And the mountains in the background get a bit old when you see them day in and day out.

We're spoiled, what can I say.

Comment

Working...
                                X