No announcement yet.

The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmmm-- so I guess you approve of Calgary's acquisition??
    Yep, Calgary's made some good moves, dumped Keenan and kept Bouwmeester.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Hmmm so Calgary's d looks like this perhaps

Boumeester
      Phaneuf
      Regehr
      Sarich
      Giordano

The final spot may be filled by a re-signed Adam Pardy (he's a RFA but should be cheap enough) or perhaps some cheap journeyman type-- The kids that came up last year for brief stints will probably be given a real chance since Sutter cannot have much money left-- All I know is he usually liked to have 7 defencemen around -- so a rookie like Negrin or Pelech sticking with the big club would be expected --- with some spot duty until the inevitable injuries come--

hmmm-- I actually like the potential of the Flames top 4 pretty much. Sarich played reasonably well and I am always a fan of regehr. The wildcard will be Phaneuf-- He has the tools to be great but last year simply was not-- he needs to tighten his defensive game substantially-- Perhaps having Boumeester around will lessen the pressure to be the powerplay stud and allow Phaneuf to loosen up
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        You are using shooting percentage to bolster your argument?

Look, if you want to pay an extra 3 million dollars for 8 goals, go right ahead.
        You're a dishonest little ****ing *****.

You said Daniel was a better goal scorer. Cammalleri is a better goalscorer no matter how you look at it. Number of goals scored, goals scored per game, shooting percentage. Cammy is a better goal scorer. You were wrong.

He's worth about 3, 3 and a half. If I'm paying 6 and a half, I expect to get more then 35 goals.
        A 39 goal scorer at 27 years old and you think he's worth 3 million??

What the ****!
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          Would you rather have a deal with the Canucks, or would you rather they be on the open market and competing against 30 other teams?
          If I wanted the Sedins I would rather be dealing with them alone rather than competing with 29 other teams. My point was simply that the price for the rights to negotiate with a soon to be UFA is a draft pick. So you could not trade the Sedins for two d-men as you suggested-- at least not ones that are anything other than marginal--

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

Or the Canucks could simply sign and then trade them. The money isn't the issue.

Thats a COMPLETELY different dynamic. Since the Sedins appear to be initially demanding TWELVE year deals, signing them is not exactly an easy decision-- To commit to a twelve year deal in the belief/hope that you can trade awaythe pair later seems foolhardy to me

Oh and money will be the issue-- Even if the Canucks have lots the question would be whether other bidders for the Sedins have the cap room
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post

What the ****!

LOL

Ya those 39 goal scorers grow on trees doncha know!!

Word is that Cammy was very interested to return to the Flames but there just seems to be no way that they have sufficient money against the cap after the Boumeester deal. They obviously need 2 more d-men while up front they currently seem to have 15 forwards who saw NHL time last season under contract

M. Backlund R. Bourque C. Conroy C. Glencross J. Iginla O. Jokinen D. Langkow D. Moss M. Nilson E. Nystrom W. Peters W. Primeau B. Prust B. Sutter D. Van Der Gulik

About 5 of these guys are likely minor leaguers so the Flames may need to pick up a couple more guys on the cheap side

Comment

• Backlund lit up the WHL once he came over from Sweden last year. I'm hoping he makes the team this year. Cheap, and great experience and potential.

He was dominant in the World Jrs also...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You said Daniel was a better goal scorer. Cammalleri is a better goalscorer no matter how you look at it. Number of goals scored, goals scored per game, shooting percentage. Cammy is a better goal scorer. You were wrong.

ben he seems to have a point

lets put it another way-- BEN what measure do you rely on to claim Daniel is the better goal scorer? Are you grading qualitatively and judging his goals to be prettier??

Comment

Backlund lit up the WHL once he came over from Sweden last year. I'm hoping he makes the team this year. Cheap, and great experience and potential.

He was dominant in the World Jrs also...

I have similar hopes and also could see Sutter as part of a 4th line. Peters ditto-- Both showed good jump in their limited time in the bigs last year

Nystrom has probably earned a shot at something more than 4th line status. Obviously the Flames need guys stepping up to fill the bert -Cammy spots on the second line-- I never liked Bert but I can see that Cammy has big shoes to fill

Jokkinen-Iggy-Bourque
                  Moss -- Langkow- Glencross
                  Nystrom- Conroy-- Backlund??
                  Sutter- Primeau-Prust-Peters etc etc

There is potential there but too bad there is no room to buy another big offensive threat

Comment

• During discussions about the free agency time about to start I saw the Sportsnet fols mention that Calgary has slightly above 4 million in cap room-- so things aren't as dire there as I feared and they can pick up a few marginal players to fill out the roster OR-- Sutter could use the minor leaguers I have mentioned and leave somewhere between 2-3 million available so that he could get an impact guy at the trade deadline

Comment

• Sedins stay in Vancouver. 5 years @ 6.1mil/per. Decent deal. But the Sedins will never win a Stanley cup.

Ohlund to Tampa Bay to mentor Hedman. $24.5 mil over 7 years. (christ that's long).

Comment

• BTW Ben.

Pierre McGuire's 2010 Olympic team roster: Brodeur, Luongo, Ward with Brodeur being the starter.
                        Darren Pang's 2010 Olympic team roster: Brodeur, Luongo, Ward with Brodeur being the starter

Comment

• Hossa to Chicago..I presume Havlat's definitely not staying now.

Leafs made an offer to Cammalleri...good call.

Comment

• Unconfirmed: Hossa signs a 12 year contract worth 5 million a year?

Edit: Confirmed. Hossa's deal heavily front loaded. 53 mil for the first 7 years of the 12 yr deal.
                            Last edited by Asher; July 1, 2009, 14:19.

Comment

• Sedins stay in Vancouver. 5 years @ 6.1mil/per. Decent deal. But the Sedins will never win a Stanley cup.
                              Ouch. Too much.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• You said Daniel was a better goal scorer. Cammalleri is a better goalscorer no matter how you look at it.
                                In one year. I'm not convinced that Cammalleri will do the same as he did last year.

Yep, especially now that he's moving to another team. Look at it this way, Cammalleri has never been the top player on his line. Daniel has been the top player since he got to the league. You can put pretty much whomever you want with the Sedins and they still perform. Cammalleri, not so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X