No announcement yet.

The NHL Off-Season Thread Starts With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have two youngsters, Hodgson and Grabner who will do just fine. Hansen, Raymond, Kesler and Burrows form our young core. Demitra and Sundin are good enough for a first line with Kesler behind them.

Gaborik, is too fragile. What's the point in paying for high priced scoring, if you can't get him on the ice. Cammellari is overpriced. 6.5 for him? No thanks!

I'd rather pay 6.5 for Bouwmeester. We need to replace Ohlund, and the last series against Chicago shows that we need to work on our defense. We got destroyed when we played an open style. We have 6 very good defensemen, and very good forwards, but we don't have the top tier forwards or defense.

I'd rather go with the kids, some vet leadership, and a true number 1 defenseman like Bouwmeester.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Demitra - Sundin - Burrows
      Raymond - Kesler - Hansen
      Grabner - Wellwood - Bernier
      Rypien - Johnson - Hordichuk.

Are the lines I'd like to see. Bump up Raymond + Hansen + Grabner.

Trade the twins for 2 d men.
      There's no way Sundin should still be around. Put him out to pasture.

And PLEASE ice that lineup next year. Easy fodder.

Also, if the Sedins don't go to TO...Cammy will go there.

And you think Cammy is overpriced at $6.5M? The guy just scored 39 goals and he's only 27. He's a terrific player, and I'm very sad to see him go from Calgary.

Give me Cammalleri over most other $6.5M players any day...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• YES!

Jay Bouwmeester signs a 5 year deal with the Flames!

Regehr, Phaneuf, and Bouwmeester...with Brent Sutter coaching.

Loving next year's defense corps.

$6.6M/yr cap hit.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• BOUWMEESTER AGREES TO FIVE YEAR DEAL WITH FLAMES

Calgary Flames general manager Darryl Sutter made the most of his opportunity to negotiate with Jay Bouwmeester.

The defenceman avoided unrestricted free agency by agreeing to a 5 year deal worth $6.6 million per year against the salary cap on Tuesday night.

The Flames acquired the rights of the 25-year from the Florida Panthers on Saturday at the NHL Draft for the rights to blueliner Jordan Leopold and a third round pick (67th overall), which the Panthers used to select right winger Josh Birkholz.

"Jay is one of the most complete defenseman in the game, and we are very pleased to have reached an agreement that will make him an important component of the Calgary Flames success," said Sutter. "We identified Jay as the priority player where we were going to focus our money. We wanted an opportunity a few days in advance of the deadline, and that's why we made the move we did this past weekend."

Despite trade rumours that swirled around him on deadline day, Bouwmeester remained in Florida, playing out the final year of his contract.

The native of Edmonton, Alberta played his entire six-year career with the Panthers after being selected third overall by the club in 2002. He had 15 goals and 27 assists in 82 games this season.

"I am happy to have this deal done as Calgary was a team I was very interested in playing for. I was encouraged by the commitment Calgary showed by acquiring me prior to July 1," said Bouwmeester. "I am familiar with some of the players and believe we have a strong club that is poised to make the next step in becoming a championship club. I look forward to contributing to that success."

The Flames will formally announce the deal at a news conference Wednesday at 2pm local time.

Comment

• Just realized that about half of Team Canada's likely 2010 Olympic defenders are now playing for the Flames.

Comment

• There's no way Sundin should still be around. Put him out to pasture.
              Sundin was our most prolific player against Chicago. We need vet leadership.

And you think Cammy is overpriced at $6.5M? The guy just scored 39 goals and he's only 27. He's a terrific player, and I'm very sad to see him go from Calgary.
              Daniel is a better goal scorer then Cammy, and he gets the assists too.

Daniel at 5 is a better deal then Cammy at 6.5

As for easy fodder, that lineup beat Calgary for the division. You should be looking at your house before dissing ours.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Just realized that about half of Team Canada's likely 2010 Olympic defenders are now playing for the Flames.
                The starting goalie plays for ours.

What of that 100 dollar bet you made with me?

Comment

Sundin was our most prolific player against Chicago. We need vet leadership.
                  Here's hoping you pay him 10 mil again.

Daniel is a better goal scorer then Cammy, and he gets the assists too.
                  Uh?

Daniel Sedin: 31 goals in 81 games = 0.38 goals per game, 10.8% shooting pct
                  Cammalleri: 39 goals in 81 games = 0.48 goals per game, 15.29% shooting pct

They each had 82 points in 81 games. The key difference is Daniel Sedin depends on his brother for all of his scoring, Cammalleri can and will play with anyone and produce (see when he was with LA).

As for easy fodder, that lineup beat Calgary for the division. You should be looking at your house before dissing ours.
                  Uh, no, it didn't. You are epicly ****ing retarded, Ben. Epic.

BTW, if this is true...Bryan Murray is equally retarded:
                  Sources say Dany Heatley has been asked to waive his no-trade clause to go to Edmonton in exchange for Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid. If Heatley agrees to waive it, it would appear that the Senators and Oilers will have a deal.

Comment

The starting goalie plays for ours.

What of that 100 dollar bet you made with me?
                    Phaneuf, Regehr, and Bouwmeester are all likely candidates to be on the Olympic team.

Luongo is also likely as a candidate, but not as a starter. Not while Brodeur is still playing as well as he is.

Comment

• Hahahaahaha, oh wow.

Heatley killed the trade. Apparently he wants out of Ottawa very badly...but "anywhere but Edmonton!"

Comment

Also, I'm disappointed Calgary ditched Keenan. I was looking forward to getting another deal like Bert for Luongo.

Huh???
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Demitra - Sundin - Burrows
                          Raymond - Kesler - Hansen
                          Grabner - Wellwood - Bernier
                          Rypien - Johnson - Hordichuk.

Are the lines I'd like to see. Bump up Raymond + Hansen + Grabner.

Trade the twins for 2 d men.
                          How do you trade people that are becoming unrestricted free agents for actual players-- A week ago they would be worth a pick or two but not a playing d-man?? Right now you wouldn't get beely lint for their rights since no one could finalize a deal before they go free agents
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

!

I'd rather pay 6.5 for Bouwmeester. We need to replace Ohlund, and the last series against Chicago shows that we need to work on our defense. We got destroyed when we played an open style. We have 6 very good defensemen, and very good forwards, but we don't have the top tier forwards or defense.

I'd rather go with the kids, some vet leadership, and a true number 1 defenseman like Bouwmeester.
                            hmmm-- so I guess you approve of Calgary's acquisition??

Comment

• Here's hoping you pay him 10 mil again.
                              If he asks for 10, he's gone, simple as that.

Daniel Sedin: 31 goals in 81 games = 0.38 goals per game, 10.8% shooting pct
                              Cammalleri: 39 goals in 81 games = 0.48 goals per game, 15.29% shooting pct
                              You are using shooting percentage to bolster your argument?

Look, if you want to pay an extra 3 million dollars for 8 goals, go right ahead.

The key difference is Daniel Sedin depends on his brother for all of his scoring, Cammalleri can and will play with anyone and produce (see when he was with LA).
                              He's worth about 3, 3 and a half. If I'm paying 6 and a half, I expect to get more then 35 goals.

Comment

• How do you trade people that are becoming unrestricted free agents for actual players-- A week ago they would be worth a pick or two but not a playing d-man?? Right now you wouldn't get beely lint for their rights since no one could finalize a deal before they go free agents
                                Would you rather have a deal with the Canucks, or would you rather they be on the open market and competing against 30 other teams?

Or the Canucks could simply sign and then trade them. The money isn't the issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X